Hardsuit WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
:) Thanks man! Still working on the shoes, this cold weather is hell on getting the temperature right for the resin to cure, so work on the 'feet' is going slow. I decided to do two layers of fiberglass on the inside of the 'feet' then place the shoe inside and use the foam it to hold it in place. I'll post some pics soon after I get the foam it on the inside.

im really liking this thread im having to take a break from my custom build because of schoolwork but anyways this is looking nice can't wait to see more

You know you are a diehard BGC fan when you keep coming back to this thread to check if there any updates :D

Cant wait to see where you are at now! :)

sweet cant wait, hey i noticed you dont have any friends yet so imma add you so you have a friend ok?
Thanks!
You know you are a diehard BGC fan when you keep coming back to this thread to check if there any updates :D

Cant wait to see where you are at now! :)
I'm hoping this whole suit turns out, so afraid of messing up horribly.

Wow, looks awesome man!
:)

IMG_0816.jpg

So this has been fun working on the 'feet' for this suit (sarcasm there people) I literally threw one at the wall I was so fed up with it, but fortunately that was after it was fiberglassed and I know the things can take a beating.
IMG_524915.jpg

Mostly had problems with the right 'foot', the shoe didn't go in as easily as in the left one so I had to cut and foam more of it than I wanted. As of right now they're not pretty or anything, but they fit my feet and I don't think I'll die from walking in them for several hours. I'm thinking I can connect the lower leg piece to the 'foot' giving me less to have to fuss with as far as putting the whole thing on. I can slide my leg through it so that's not the issue, you can see from the picture that I have to widen add a bit to it to connect the pieces (because I wasn't paying attention and thought of this after I'd fiberglassed the pieces).
IMG_007312.jpg

Wow you are making heaps of progress here!

Dont worry if the feet dont work out first time as you a blazing new territory here. I like how you have seperated the legs from the feet, that way if something doesnt work you would only need to recreate the feet parts.

Ill have a look at some threads where people have imbedded a boot or shoe in an armour peice. It might help.

Cheers.

No worries :)

Are you mounting a shoe or boot in the 'foot' part? No matter how much i think about the mechanics of walking, i cant seem to think along the lines of changing the design... lol.

This is by no means an insult, I'm just not really familiar with what you're making. My question to you is...

What exactly are you making?

No worries :)

Are you mounting a shoe or boot in the 'foot' part? No matter how much i think about the mechanics of walking, i cant seem to think along the lines of changing the design... lol.
Yes I am, the shoe is actually inside the 'foot' already, I foamed around it, so it's in there permanently. Cheap pair of high heels I found to go inside it, so no loss to my wallet if I screw up to badly.
This is by no means an insult, I'm just not really familiar with what you're making. My question to you is...

What exactly are you making?

Lol. Don't worry I'm not insulted. I'm making this-
mecha-main-014.jpg

Priss Asagiri's Hardsuit from Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040.

Are you going to put any effects in the suit, like lights, sounds and such?

I would suggest maybe putting in some good insoles in those boots to keep it so your feet won't be killing after a long day wearing them.

Looking forward to seeing this finished!!

Are you going to put any effects in the suit, like lights, sounds and such?

I would suggest maybe putting in some good insoles in those boots to keep it so your feet won't be killing after a long day wearing them.

Looking forward to seeing this finished!!

Just got some insoles the other day actually, tested them out, they don't affect what type of socks I have to wear in the shoes so that's good. Yes, I am planning on lights and sound effects, got a buddy I'm working on some ideas with for help, was thinking one of those voice amplifiers would be a good investment. Also I'll probably sketch up an idea on what I want to do with the lights in the suit see if anyone can give me some better suggestions on what might work.

Just testing to make sure the lower leg piece fits with the 'shoe', it hasn't been fiberglassed on the inside yet because I had to make some adjustments to make it fit.
IMG_20110129_0436402.jpg

IMG_20110129_0526152.jpg

I have a question, does anyone know if resin will eat through the expanding foam? I'm trying to find a way to seal the stuff on the inside and some on the outside as I didn't think to tape it into the shape I wanted and had to sand some it.

Just testing to make sure the lower leg piece fits with the 'shoe', it hasn't been fiberglassed on the inside yet because I had to make some adjustments to make it fit.
<SNIP>
I have a question, does anyone know if resin will eat through the expanding foam? I'm trying to find a way to seal the stuff on the inside and some on the outside as I didn't think to tape it into the shape I wanted and had to sand some it.

Sweet!!

If the expanding foam is the polyurethane stuff it should be good to resin over. I believe its the same as the foam they make surfboards out of.

Really great work!

If the expanding foam is the polyurethane stuff it should be good to resin over. I believe its the same as the foam they make surfboards out of.

Really great work!

It is the polyurethane stuff actually, and I tested a little resin on it to see how it did. I'll post some pics after I get the other leg piece put together and fiberglassed, right now I just have them taped together to see how the fit was. So far so good, gonna be interesting to walk in though.

Thanks man, trying to get as much done as I can before the warm weather hits that way I can start detailing and sanding everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back