HD IronMan Mark IV Build Log- Pic Intensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DISCL0SUR3

After a recent game plan change I have focused my sights on a Mark IV suit to be completed before Halloween of this year. I started a previous thread as my original intentions were to build the War Machine, as detailed in my other thread http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/32504-WAR-MACHINE!-My-First-Build...Assistance-Required-Please! I've decided to hold off on that project for now.

Progress report June 5th, 2011

-I've completed the cutting portion of the Dubean HD helmet and have begun assembly. After a late night (4am) I finally completed the Jaw section of the helmet. I find already that this build is going to be MUCH easier than War Machine.

Here's a pic of my current mess, you will notice the Test helmet in the background, I've based the dimensions of my new helmet around this helmet so I hope the scale is accurate ;) I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of my Silhouette SD which should be coming sometime this week, it will no doubt take a lot of the tedious work out of this job. I will post my next update once I have the mask completed.

Cloud2go%202011-06-05%201:12%20PM.jpg

Cloud2go%202011-06-05%201:27%20PM.jpg

Cloud2go%202011-06-05%201:32%20PM.jpg

Me and my roommates want to be dressed as avenger too, next jear on carneval :D I keep an eye on your build

Progress Report- Monday, June 6th

The mask has been completed and I have begun to assemble the back helmet section. Everything seemed pretty straight forward although I had some trouble when it came to the eye detail on the inside of this helmet. The numbers on the parts didn't seem to match up so there was a trial and error method being utilized. I still have two ends protruding from the back of the mask out from the eye pieces(see image below) and really have no idea where these will attach.
The plan is to leave them there until the rest of the helmet is completed, then cut them off if nothing lines up with them. At this point they appear non-functional although I'm sure they have a purpose. If anyone else has a completed pic of the inside of their HD mask at the pep stage I would love to use it as a reference, thank you in advance.

Cloud2go%202011-06-06%2012:38%20PM.jpg

Cloud2go%202011-06-06%2012:38%20PM.jpg

Thanks for the compliment. I'm pretty sure it's just the picture, just took a measurement and it's 8" wide & 9.5" tall.
I guess I'll know right away, should have the rest of the helmet finished tonight!!

When I built my Iron Man helmet, the mask looked wider, but when I mounted it on the helmet, it get its right form...
Looking great, man... What paper did you use for it ?

When I built my Iron Man helmet, the mask looked wider, but when I mounted it on the helmet, it get its right form...
Looking great, man... What paper did you use for it ?
Thanks XM, I kind of figured that as well, once the rest of it goes together it pulls everything closer. I'm using 110lb card stock at the suggestion of other members.

Finished about 75% of the back helmet so I'm able to do a quick mock up, here's a few pics...
Cloud2go%202011-06-06%208:44%20PM.jpg

Cloud2go%202011-06-06%208:40%20PM.jpg

I actually have a question for anyone that knows...I'm wondering if I should apply the resin with it taped together as a full helmet or... should I resin the three sections separately? (mask, front helmet/jaw, back helmet piece)

Thank you in advance!

I think (I don't know if it's right) that you should resin it as a full helmet, because of the warping... You saw it before, when the mask was on its own, it was wider than when it's with the rest of the helmet, so if you resin it on its own, it will have that shape...

Progress Report- June 7, 2011
I finished building the back section of the helmet last night (except for the ear pods) and assembled everything using clips...well, attempted to assemble everything. It all went together very smoothly until I got to the final back piece that has the ear pod platform on it, there was NO WAY it was going to line up. If I had one side in place at the ear pod, the other side was at least 3/4" out so....I got creative. I split the piece in two- see image:
Cloud2go%202011-06-07%2012:25%20PM.jpg

Designed my own piece to fill the gap:

And reassembled to test for fit:

Problem solved, right? Wrong....upon closer inspection and comparison to other helmet pics, I realized that I had mounted that back piece incorrectly to begin with, it should be mounted from the inside...I had it mounted on the outside of the earpod and flush with the piece above. Needless to say, I tore the *&^#$er apart, cut out the piece I had added thinking I just had a Eureka! moment and everything would fit perfect now, right?? Lol...nope.

Even mounted on the inside there was a gap between the piece in question and the existing piece above of about 1/2" (I hope you can visualize this)
So...I cut the piece down the middle, (again) mounted the earpod where it's supposed to be and matched everything up at the back of the helmet, now I have another gap that has to be filled. Pics upcoming ;)

NOW the problem is I think the whole jaw section is crooked. I don't understand how this could've happened as everything is cut and mounted EXTREMELY accurately, perhaps I'm seeing things.
You guys have a look and judge for yourselves:
Cloud2go%202011-06-07%2012:17%20PM.jpg

To me it looks like the right side (your right) is pulled back slightly....if you look at the very bottom of the jaw it just doesn't look perfectly symmetrical. I tried bending and twisting it, to no avail. Has this happened to any of you? How did you solve the issue? Grrrr.....I think I jinxed myself when I mentioned this was going to be an easy build in my OP. Damn karma *haha*

Thanks for everything in advance.

Vernon

I think (I don't know if it's right) that you should resin it as a full helmet, because of the warping... You saw it before, when the mask was on its own, it was wider than when it's with the rest of the helmet, so if you resin it on its own, it will have that shape...

Thanks X3, that's kind of what I thought. So would I cut the sections apart after the resin or after fiberglass?

I resined a SharkMark 3-pc helmet a little while back as separate pieces, and they were indeed deformed. The faceplate and jaw were recoverable after a few hours of heating and bending (they look pretty good, actually), but the rest of the helmet was not - warped in 3 dimensions, beyond my ability to correct.

I'm doing the same helmet as OP now, and intend to resin and 'glass it as a single piece, then cut them apart after curing to avoid this issue. Having some trouble, though - the back-of-the-neck/"earmuffs" part does not seem to fit properly, like it's just a LITTLE too small, despite being printed as a single file for the whole helmet. The internal brace between the ear platforms seems like it's just not quite long enough, or something, putting too much curvature on the part compared to the rest of the helmet. Rather annoying.

I resined a SharkMark 3-pc helmet a little while back as separate pieces, and they were indeed deformed. The faceplate and jaw were recoverable after a few hours of heating and bending (they look pretty good, actually), but the rest of the helmet was not - warped in 3 dimensions, beyond my ability to correct.

I'm doing the same helmet as OP now, and intend to resin and 'glass it as a single piece, then cut them apart after curing to avoid this issue. Having some trouble, though - the back-of-the-neck/"earmuffs" part does not seem to fit properly, like it's just a LITTLE too small, despite being printed as a single file for the whole helmet. The internal brace between the ear platforms seems like it's just not quite long enough, or something, putting too much curvature on the part compared to the rest of the helmet. Rather annoying.

I'm thinking I'll resin and bondo before cutting to maintain the shape, thanks guys for the info.

erictank- If you look at the pics above, you will see that I'm having EXACTLY the same issue, I guess it's possible that the file is off. I haven't installed the internal brace yet but I will get back to you on that...

when i did mine i resined the inside as full helm then cut trimed to to 3 pieces braced each seperately then did outside.. made for a nice clean seal without to much extra work.. just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back