HD IronMan Mark IV Build Log- Pic Intensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
when i did mine i resined the inside as full helm then cut trimed to to 3 pieces braced each seperately then did outside.. made for a nice clean seal without to much extra work.. just a thought

That's a great tip, thank you. So you applied resin to both inside and out?

inside first 2 light coats to add strength...( letting 1st coat go finger touch dry but not fully hardened b4 applying 2nd coat)... then braced the chin mask and dome/back seperately ( once resin had cured)..then seperated .. and tidyed up the edges a little ( but i guess that can be done at any point).. then 2 light coats on outside of each piece.... for an extra bit of strength you could mudglass the inside.. but tbo i found 2 coats in and out + the bondo and 3 undercoats, 2 top coats , 2 clear coats (plus padding inside ofc) gave it more than enough strength.. unless your planning on gettin hit in the head alot lol.. some epoxy putty for anchor points for the face plate hinges works wonders.. and as when seperateing the resin can crack and split the lip the epoxy putty(or bondo if u preffer) can be used to repair/widen the lip for even smoother faceplate fitting..
hope that helps.. at very least some food for thought :D

inside first 2 light coats to add strength...( letting 1st coat go finger touch dry but not fully hardened b4 applying 2nd coat)... then braced the chin mask and dome/back seperately ( once resin had cured)..then seperated .. and tidyed up the edges a little ( but i guess that can be done at any point).. then 2 light coats on outside of each piece.... for an extra bit of strength you could mudglass the inside.. but tbo i found 2 coats in and out + the bondo and 3 undercoats, 2 top coats , 2 clear coats (plus padding inside ofc) gave it more than enough strength.. unless your planning on gettin hit in the head alot lol.. some epoxy putty for anchor points for the face plate hinges works wonders.. and as when seperateing the resin can crack and split the lip the epoxy putty(or bondo if u preffer) can be used to repair/widen the lip for even smoother faceplate fitting..
hope that helps.. at very least some food for thought :D
MUCH appreciated sir, I will certainly utilize these techniques...it sounds like you've done this a few times ;)

Progress Report, June 9, 2011
It's been a busy couple of days so I haven't had as much time as I would like to work on my project. That being said, my Silhouette SD arrived yesterday...after about an hour of fiddling around and a great Youtube tutorial I had everything up and running.

I have to say, this was a FANTASTIC investment (thank you Darkrider9 for the tip) Everything worked without a hitch...once I installed the Robocraft controller) I was able to print, cut and perforate the entire chest piece in less than 2 hours...26 pages of files. A task that would have taken at least 10 hours prior to this purchase.

Anyway, I've completed the Arc Reactor area of the chest and plan on building outwards...see pic below

Thanks to everyone that's contributed to this thread so far, your advice will certainly be utilized. I'm still trying to deal with the "crooked jaw" as mentioned in a previous post so if anyone has ideas it would be much appreciated!
Cloud2go%202011-06-09%2012:51%20PM.jpg

I also have one other question...lol...sorry. I measured the hole for my arc reactor and it's just under 4", I remember reading somewhere that it should be around 3.5"...can anyone confirm??

Progress Report- June 11, 2011
I decided to put the chest piece on hold for a day and assemble a "duct tape dummy" to mount my parts on as they're completed. I have to say that building the dummy was more difficult than I anticipated, however the final product looks good and it's an accurate representation of my body proportions.

The most difficult part of the assembly is the amount of time that you have to stand still while being taped up...I only used 3 layers and it still took over 2 hours. The instructions I read recommended 5 layers, I would've passed out from heat exhaustion by that time so we stopped at 3.

The next task which was no fun was trying to get the damn thing off. I ended up cutting it all the way down the back right to my waistline, slitting the wrists up halfway up my forearm and the feet almost up to the knee. I finally removed it 30 minutes later, along with about 8lbs of water weight.

For stuffing I cut up a bunch of old blankets and pillows (3 of each) which was just about perfect. The frame was built using 20' of 1.5" PVC pipe, the best advice I can offer is remember to measure twice and cut once, this stuff isn't cheap. When finished I only had about 8" left as I took the time to plan everything out on paper before hand. I bought glue and primer as well but didn't end up using it as the fittings were VERY snug just pushed together...plus I'll have more flexibility down the road if I need to make adjustments.

Overall, it's extremely sturdy and will serve it's purpose, now I can focus on getting my armor assembled. Tonight I put in a couple of hours on the chest piece and have about 75% of it assembled...see pics below. More progress reports to come....

My Duct Tape Dummy...still trying to come up with a name, ideas?? ;)
Cloud2go%202011-06-11%2011:31%20PM.jpg

Chest Piece
Cloud2go%202011-06-11%2011:31%20PM.jpg

Haha...funny you should mention that. I'm a big Mythbusters fan and that was actually one of the first that I thought of. Buster it is, thanks man ;)

Progress Report- June 12, 2011

I finished the chest piece today after about 5 hours of screwing around. I keep making stupid mistakes that take significant time to fix. ie. There is two indentations on each side of the piece approximate rib area, I assembled the first one convex instead of concave...hard to explain, here's a pic...
Cloud2go%202011-06-12%2011:04%20PM.jpg

This mistake keeps happening due to a lack of paying attention to the peak and valley folds, I assure you this will NOT happen again ;) It's just too time consuming. Here's a pic of my overall progress so far mounted on "Buster" :)

Cloud2go%202011-06-12%2010:58%20PM.jpg

My next piece will be the "Chest brace" file, I wasn't aware I actually needed this until the other day while looking through the rest of Shark's files. Does this piece stay with the rest of the armor once completed? Or....is this just to hold everything in place while resining??

Here's a pic of the file I'm talking about:
Cloud2go%202011-06-12%2010:58%20PM.jpg

Thanks again for everything in advance fellas!

Vernon

Progress Report- June 13, 2011

Completed the chest brace today. I can see now that it's completed that it will be a final part of the armor. Should the chest plate and the brace be attached to each other at this point? Anyone?? ;)

Here's the fruits of my 4 hours labor tonight:

Cloud2go%202011-06-14%2012:13%20AM.jpg

More updates coming soon....Please feel free to comment or criticize ;)

Progress Report- June 14, 2011

Buster had a blowout today and required some emergency repair. It turns out that the cheap Rona Duct tape that I used doesn't hold up so well in a humid environment. In retrospect, you can actually see him starting to come apart in my last series of pictures.

I think the other part of the problem is that I put too much stuffing in the "groin" area causing unnecessary pressure...haha j/k

The disaster was averted with a heavy duty roll of all weather, 3M duct tape which just so happens to come in white...thought it would be a nice upgrade so I splurged.

Here is the pic of the all new and improved "Buster"...btw- ran out of tape at the end, hence the grey feet, cuffs and neckline. Gonna pick up another roll tomorrow.

Cloud2go%202011-06-14%2011:20%20PM.jpg

I've made the decision to attack the back piece next...holy crap! 29 pages of little pieces. Have I mentioned how much I love my Silhouette SD? Printed and cut all of these and re-ducttaped (is that a word?) Buster in less than 3 hours...has to be some kind of record ;)

I will begin assembly tomorrow, my guess is it will be 2-3 days to complete this piece. I used exactly the same scale ratio as what was used on the front so hopefully it all lines up. I've been pretty lucky so far with getting the size right the first time...with the exception of my first piece, a War Helmet that would fit my 3 year old nephew.
Read some scaling tutorials after that experience.

Here is the Big ASS pile of pieces that you've heard so much about:
Cloud2go%202011-06-14%2011:20%20PM.jpg

More updates to come! BTW- You guys are a quiet bunch....

Looks great, and your scaling seems spot on :D how much was the silhouette SD? kinda makes me want one :L cant wait to see more progress in this :D

Looks great, and your scaling seems spot on :D how much was the silhouette SD? kinda makes me want one :L cant wait to see more progress in this :D

Thanks a lot. For the chest piece I measured from the bottom of my rib cage to my collar bone, then added a half inch...seemed to fit good.

I paid $260CDN through overstock.com delivered to my door here in Canada- $40 of that was for expedited shipping as I didn't feel like waiting a month. If you live in the states you'll get it much cheaper. Here's a link to the unit I purchased :http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Silhouette-SD-Digital-Craft-Cutter-with-10-Gift-Card/4400810/product.html

If you do end up getting one and need a hand with the setup, I'd be more than happy to help...although it's not exactly rocket science ;)

Haha...that can be arranged. I was actually considering doing that as a side gig to help out those that don't want to invest in a machine.
Was thinking I would charge like $2 a page or something like that.

Haha...that can be arranged. I was actually considering doing that as a side gig to help out those that don't want to invest in a machine.
Was thinking I would charge like $2 a page or something like that.

hmmmmmmm 36 bucks for the cutouts of an iron man helmet. That covers over 17% of what the machine costs haha, i'll think about it

hmmmmmmm 36 bucks for the cutouts of an iron man helmet. That covers over 17% of what the machine costs haha, i'll think about it

Haha...ya, it wouldn't be cheap unfortunately. A person has to take into account things like, ink, blades and of course the time it takes to cut the pieces...probably wouldn't be a viable side business unless a guy purchased an industrial cutter.

oh yeah wasn't thinking about blades and ink until now. Well i'm just in the process of cutting my iron man out, i'm probably just grieving over how long it takes to assemble it haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back