HD IronMan Mark IV Build Log- Pic Intensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Buster" has to be one of the best made duct tape forms I have ever seen done!

Thank you very much- He still needs the odd tweak here and there but pretty close to being done and is definitely serving the purpose. I still have to cut the leg stands down a few inches so his feet sit closer to the ground. He's like 6'4" right now and I'm only 5'11" ;)

Progress Report- June 20, 2011

This back piece is killing me! Over 1000 separate pieces in this file...needless to say it's taken the better part of a week (2-3 hrs here and there) to get this back plate assembled. That being said, it's not quite complete. Probably another 2 hours or so to finish up.

I think I've made the decision to re-do my helmet, I'm not completely happy with the the overall look of this one (the jaw is crooked...see earlier posts) and I've gained A LOT more experience pepping since my first attempt. I'm armed with a different file this time as well so hopefully that solves the crooked jaw issue.

Haven't decided which section I'm going to take on next so I'll probably end up putting this new helmet together while trying to make up my mind.

For anyone else that has built one of these, please tell me that the Back & Chest are the most labor intensive?...I don't think I could handle another 1000+ piece of armor ;)

Here's the latest images:
Cloud2go%202011-06-20%2011:05%20AM.jpg

Cloud2go%202011-06-20%2011:05%20AM.jpg

Cloud2go%202011-06-20%2011:06%20AM.jpg

Almost done.....

Somebody please help!! I think I f$%#ed up somewhere along the line. I've all but completed the back piece and decided to dress up Buster to see how it looks so far, to my distress I think the back piece is too large...see pics below. There is about a 2-3" overhang between the chest and back pieces where it wraps around the side.

Is this normal? Something tells me no :( What are my options at this point?? Anyone??? Thanks guys....

Cloud2go%202011-06-20%207:46%20PM.jpg

Seems okay from the front...I think!

Yeah it looks like it's going to be too wide, but you never know. Because the bottom part of the back and chest connect and not the top, that's where you should work from to fix it. In other words, you should line the bottoms up and see how it looks, and possibly post some pics for us to see. Depending how it looks after you've lined the bottoms up, one option is to make adjustments where the bottoms meet. You could either trim down the paper at this stage, or you can go on with fiberglassing and fix it when you get to that point. My suggestion is to go ahead and fiberglass both pieces and fix it then. The reason I say that is because if you start to cut and trim your pieces now, you may put too much pressure on them and they could warp in their flexible paper state. Fiberglassing the pieces would make them stronger and resistant to unwanted warpage when you're trying to make the bottoms line up. The great part about trimming it down in the fiberglass stage is that even if you mess up a little bit you can fix it once you get to the bondo point. That's just what I would do if I were in that situation. Again, if you line up the bottoms of the pieces on the dummy and take some pics, we can get a better view of exactly how far off everything is. Also, if you import the chest and back into one file, you'll see that the chest does stick out slightly further than it looks like it should. So it really just depends how it looks when the bottoms are lined up. Hope this helped and I can't wait to see more progress! Feel free to pm me with any questions or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back