Hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Sun

Hey everyone. The past week I've been very interested in making my own costume, but have no idea where to begin. I saw the Noob Guide, which basically laid out everything I need which was nice.

I have no experienced with most of this stuff, but I do work at Menards (a home improvement/tool/construction store) where they sell everything on that list. So I can get materials pretty cheap.

I'm wondering what kind of knowledge you need, and a rough estimate on how much a finished suit would cost around. I'm talking a full, legit suit. I'm going on 19 and I love at home with my dad attending college soon, but only part time. I'll still have a lot of free time, and my dads a handyman, so I'm sure he could help if I asked. Main components I would like for the suit would be for it to be pretty durable. I don't want something that if I walk in it's going to jiggle all over the place and break (like those dumb Halloween costumes, haha).

I have the time, and the money. I'm sure there are tutorials on how to work the 'ingredients'. I'm not sure on the armor types yet, I'm thinking basic Mark VI (the most recognizable), black color.

Could someone help me out here while I familiarize myself with this awesome forum? Thanks guys, it's appreciated!

I'm wondering what kind of knowledge you need, and a rough estimate on how much a finished suit would cost around. I'm talking a full, legit suit.

I have the time, and the money. I'm sure there are tutorials on how to work the 'ingredients'. I'm not sure on the armor types yet, I'm thinking basic Mark VI (the most recognizable), black color.

Cost depends, especially on what kind of tools you already have. If you have nothing and buy everything, it is extremely likely that you're going to spend a four-digit amount of money (at least where I live, obviously the amount of digits depends on the current ;-)).

As for familiarising yourself: Yes, there are tutorials on pretty much everything and if you spend enough time researching, you'll probably find all the info you need. Some tutorials (along with Help!-threads to post small, general questions) are located in the noob forum, but most of them are in the creation discussion forums. Make sure to study this first.

If you go back to the noob forum you will see the "Noob reading list" by the top. Look through all of that and you will be ready to start.

I'm wondering what kind of knowledge you need, and a rough estimate on how much a finished suit would cost around. I'm talking a full, legit suit.

No prior building experience is required but it does help. You can pick up on it quick though so no worries. My first suit was about $100, max. But it was not the best quality as i was rushing to get done by dead line. Others have spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars into theirs. The more money you put it the better it will look (Hopefully) But it also decides how long it will take to make the suit. Anywhere from a few months to a over a year is a norm.

Happy hunting, and welcome to the 405th

If you go back to the noob forum you will see the "Noob reading list" by the top. Look through all of that and you will be ready to start.

No prior building experience is required but it does help. You can pick up on it quick though so no worries. My first suit was about $100, max. But it was not the best quality as i was rushing to get done by dead line. Others have spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars into theirs. The more money you put it the better it will look (Hopefully) But it also decides how long it will take to make the suit. Anywhere from a few months to a over a year is a norm.

Happy hunting, and welcome to the 405th

I'm thinking around the end of this July/August, when it's still warm here in Wisconsin.

I guess step one would be planning what armor you would want. :3

-----

Okay, I've decided on all HD Mk VI, all black. I just don't know where to start.

cost depends on materials that you use as in...

If you vacuform them or if you pep and then rondo them and go through that process or even if you use EVA Foam.... so its hard telling

The first step for me was to make a dummy of myself out of duct tape. Lots of tutorials out on the internets for that. Then you can dry your pieces on it, and they don't really lose their shape.

You'll need lots of card stock. That's step one. Lots of folding, lots of cutting, lots of gluing. So you'll need the paper and glue that can take a beating, as well as dry fast. If you have to spend time holding the joints while they dry, then you'll be wasting a lot of time doing that instead of working on the next steps.

[Edit] Easiest place to start is to state your method of construction, mate. Read moar...

Easiest thing for beginners is usually to try a simple armor piece. Usually I would say a helmet because it's the most recognizable part of the suit and to finish it is a great inspiration, but if your costuming experience is limited I would start on, say the shoulders.

Chest pieces are also quite easy to begin on due to the number of large open faces they have, but depending on your method of construction all of this can change.

Do you know what method you are going to start with? If you have no idea what I'm talking about, spend a few days reading through the various Creation Discussion Boards to get an idea of the main methods of construction we use here on the 405th. Then, if you still have questions, search through the "Stickies at the top of the Noob Forum to find common answers to common questions.

Specific questions warrant the creation of a thread, but use your discretion with the number of threads you start...

Good luck with your build and welcome to the 405th.

The other thing I would suggest is looking at some threads that take a part or entire suit through to completion where they talk about the steps involved. I would read through thorssoli's thread, it helped me a lot. Or Ben streepers thread on how to go from pep to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back