Helmet concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan 118

IM still new to this and i have a tight budget (basicly $0)

Im going to attempt to make a helmet but The Pepakura is TO Frustrating :mad: Its to much math for me to size it to my body so i was thinking... I have the Legendary edition halo 3..

I was going to use that as my refrence and Build it with Cardboard, Coathanger wire, a bycical helmet, some papermache, and foam. I was going to then papermache some of it and fiberglass it.

What do you think?

IM just begingng to start it now the Bycical helmet has teh basic design i jsut add on to it.. soo ya it might take a while

im still gathering materials

Hm actually seems harder but at least its free right?
Pepakura isn't al that hard, they even have a size chart so at least then you'll know where to to scale it, so no Math there :p
When doing pepakura, Cardstock will make life much easier, trust me.

Why doesnt someone just make a mold of the legendary helmet and then use that to make a helmet cause the legendary helmet is very good detail wise.

you can make things bigger. it is BARELY to smaall. if you take out the six screws on the bottom the black innard slides out and you can wear it so no it's not too small for me.

How's it too much math when you got this?

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...80&start=80

So far, it's working great for me. :)
Whether you're making it out of cardboard or cardstock, it's going to be frustrating. I'm a Very VERY impatient person, but I've put all my mind into this and am already enjoying the progress. I've almost finished my cardstock paper, and it looks beautiful. I'd highly recommend the pepakura cardstock approach, but to each his own. Good luck :)

Sniper said:
How's it too much math when you got this?

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...80&start=80
So far, it's working great for me. :)
Whether you're making it out of cardboard or cardstock, it's going to be frustrating. I'm a Very VERY impatient person, but I've put all my mind into this and am already enjoying the progress. I've almost finished my cardstock paper, and it looks beautiful. I'd highly recommend the pepakura cardstock approach, but to each his own. Good luck :)

Yep, that was what I was talking about (The scale Chart)
Cardstock>Cardboard

Last edited by a moderator:
Well what im thinking of doing besides cardboard is, Taking a block of Modelig foam and just shaving off parts.. for like the back of teh neck. ect. THen papermacheing it, then fiberglassing light bondo and paint.

IM using a basic mountin bike helmet as teh basic start.

SOo ya again im still working on it...... so far all iv done is added some coat hangers and smashed the helmet a lot with a Hammer :D

Too frustrating? Stop screaming, pepakura doesnt require any math, it just requires cutting and folding, if you want to make it from something else then go ahead, but detail an quality may not be good at all.

No matter what, you cant make armor for free even if it's made from cardboard.

The way you are talking about doing it seems way harder than peping it. If you can figure out your height and do basic addition then you can get the right scale.

I said that wronge. nOt that the math is hard. The scaleing is sort of confusing. IDK what cardstock exactly is, where to get it, if my printer will print in that A4 or what ever it is. And I have no money..

But yay my bycical helmet has teh general shape. just got to add some cardboard and modeling foam.

And yes the cardboard is basicly free, if my dad brings me some home from work.

Spartan 118 said:
I said that wronge. nOt that the math is hard. The scaleing is sort of confusing. IDK what cardstock exactly is, where to get it, if my printer will print in that A4 or what ever it is. And I have no money..

But yay my bycical helmet has teh general shape. just got to add some cardboard and modeling foam.
And yes the cardboard is basicly free, if my dad brings me some home from work.

cardstock is card. its not particularly heavy, about the thickness of birthday cards. you get it in alot of places, go into an art and hoby shop and ask. most printers print A4 (ask your dad perhaps?)
i dont think he was refering to the cardbord costing money, i think he ment the tape/glue, the spray paint etc.

Well my dad is a Machanic.. he doesnt know didaly squat about computers :p like the other week i tought him how to post a picture as his Avvie on a fourm :rolleyes

soo ya.. my printer it has a scanner in it and it scans in A4 just not sure if it prints in A4 ill have to check,

But ok thanks.

i am using the legendary helmet.
i just ordered smooth-on's £50 trial size and will be molding and pulling soon!

i think you idea will work, might not be as accurate.... or it could be if yo do lots of detail.

good luck anyway!

Spartan 118 said:
Well my dad is a Machanic.. he doesnt know didaly squat about computers :p like the other week i tought him how to post a picture as his Avvie on a fourm :rolleyes
soo ya.. my printer it has a scanner in it and it scans in A4 just not sure if it prints in A4 ill have to check,
But ok thanks.

You don't have to print in A4 you can also print in letter, legal, and a few other sizes. As for cost the only thing that really will set you back is the fiberglass and resin... more so the resin. But there are alternatives to using those materials, such as muslin and paper mache.

Spartan 118 said:
IM still new to this and i have a tight budget (basicly $0)

Im going to attempt to make a helmet but The Pepakura is TO Frustrating :mad: Its to much math for me to size it to my body so i was thinking... I have the Legendary edition halo 3..

I was going to use that as my refrence and Build it with Cardboard, Coathanger wire, a bycical helmet, some papermache, and foam. I was going to then papermache some of it and fiberglass it.

What do you think?

basically what i did, except with a snowboard helmet and no fiberglassing or anything. Works well enough for your first helmet.

Chazodude said:
i am using the legendary helmet.
i just ordered smooth-on's £50 trial size and will be molding and pulling soon!

i think you idea will work, might not be as accurate.... or it could be if yo do lots of detail.
good luck anyway!

I am tentatively sure what your doing is illegal, and I'm absolutely sure that if you sold a pull or mold it would be illegal.

Spartan 118 said:
Well what im thinking of doing besides cardboard is, Taking a block of Modelig foam and just shaving off parts.. for like the back of teh neck. ect. THen papermacheing it, then fiberglassing light bondo and paint.

IM using a basic mountin bike helmet as teh basic start.

SOo ya again im still working on it...... so far all iv done is added some coat hangers and smashed the helmet a lot with a Hammer :D

DONT PAPER MACHE i tried the same thin your doing with a motocross helmet it was a real pain in the A$$ finally i just gave up and am curently doing a pep suit and like the other guys said..use the scaling thread its realy easy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back