Helmet Question!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

b47

I need help with making armor badly!! I'm new to this, don't have that much money, and I have questions.

1) Inexpensive way to make armor?
I know it WILL cost money to make, but how much. It would be nice if i didn't have to order online, too.

2) Will plaster of paris work?
Or paper mache?

3) How much is fiberglass?
Can i get it at a craft store?

4) Clay mold, silicone mold, plastic mold?
Symettry?

5) Painting it
(A tutorial maybe)

6) What materials needed?

7) BY HALLOWEEN!!!!!

8) Reply already!! Noone answers my questions!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Ok Bam I will try and help, I wont yell at you like some people on here will. But I will say you need to read up more on the posts in the creation discussion. especially the pinned posts. these are the ones at the top when you open the creation discussion.

1. The most inexpensive way to make armor that wont totally fall apart I have seen is by using Pepakura. and fiberglass.

2. Im not sure, experimentation on a small part would give you a good yes or no.

3. the cloth cost me 4.99 for 8 square feet and one .37oz container of resin with a tube of hardner cost me 11.69. all this in US dollars.

4. seems most people sculpt a clay part of the armor and then make a silicone mold around it I hope this answers 4. FYI if your more clear in a question it makes it easier to answer. Just trying to help.

5. there are currently several different painting tutorials on the board and more on the way. I hate to say this but use the search button, just put in paint.

6. This can only be answered when you decide on what kind of method you are going to use to make your armor. For instance if you decide to do a pepakura armor type you will need card stock, glue, fiberglass cloth and resin paint and much more before you are done. If you were to go the sculpt rout you would need totally different supply's.

7. if your starting now, I doubt you will have a full suit done by Halloween. My advice is to try pepakura, look for these posts in the creation discussion they will help.

"Tutorial : How to use Pepakura to make your Mjolnir armor"

"Official Pepakura scaling thread"

"Tutorial : How to make good folds for Pepakura armor"

"Pepakura Fiberglass and smoothing Tutorial"

"Resining & Fiber glassing Tutorial/how to"

"Tutorial: Using bondo for detailing"

bam117 said:
I need help with making armor badly!! I'm new to this, don't have that much money, and I have questions.

1) Inexpensive way to make armor?
I know it WILL cost money to make, but how much. It would be nice if i didn't have to order online, too.

2) Will plaster of paris work?
Or paper mache?

3) How much is fiberglass?
Can i get it at a craft store?

4) Clay mold, silicone mold, plastic mold?
Symettry?

5) Painting it
(A tutorial maybe)

6) What materials needed?

7) BY HALLOWEEN!!!!!

8) Reply already!! Noone answers my questions!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Hey!!

Ya need to read the forums a little more to find your info but against my better judgement I'll share some of the info I have found and apply some of my own knowledge to it.

1) Search Forums for Pepakura. This is a cheap way of making the costumes but your going to need to read the forums to gain more knowledge and they have so much info here you will only be limited by your imagination.

2)Plaster of Paris is heavy unless your making a mold from it, Paper mache, yes you could do it that way, Check the forums.

3)Fiber glass do the research, call a few craft/hobby stores and if the don't have it ask where you might get it. Hardware store would probably have some too though.

4)Check the Forums (to much info for one post!!)

5) Tips for painting in the Forums.

6)Depends on what you want to do but for a Pepakura look at spending $100 or more depending on how you want it to look.

7)Depends on how dedicated you are, which means start looking through the forums. (I gained most of the knowledge I needed in about 3hrs but I have done similar projects)

8)In most cases Forums are meant to read or to ask questions when the answer is not present. You will get several responses back other than me that will just flat out tell you to read the forums before posting. This is because this WASTE SPACE. I had to filter out allot of nonsense pages because other people didn't look for the answers while asking question that had already been answered several times. All of the questions you asked are in the forums and most are on the top of the list.

Bottom line Use the search Feature that has been installed on this site. Look through the forums and if that doesn't work and your sure the answer isn't there then start a forum.

Other than that Happy Hunting:)

Last edited by a moderator:
got my Fiber glass (cloth) and resin, at lowes. All for about 15$ if i remeber right, but i ran out of fiber glass (cloth) and bought more so basically spent around 20$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back