Helmet Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cromagnolia

After seeing some of these bad-ass costumes, I've already begun planning for next Halloween. I've decided it's best to start with the helmet, it seems like it could be the easiest form, and a good stopping point should I decide to give up. ;0)

Any suggestions on brand/model of a base helmet upon which to build mjolnir armor? Also - anyone in Austin wanna help/collaborate?

If you want to build it off an existing helmet, your best bet is to use a BMX motorcross helmet. That's all that helmet really is, with some bulk added to it, and stuff like the sun-visor notched in the middle.

However, it seems to me that it's be better to just make the helmet the same way you're going to make the actual armor itself.. It's just armor for your head.

Plus it's like you might need an undersized BMX helmet and then scoop out all the padding and stuff. When they determined the size for the masterchief model, they just kinda' threw a 3d helmet up there with no concern for actually having a head inside of it. It's unrealistic, but then again it was for a video game, not an actual person.

One note about doing any of this stuff though is that the programs they use to display the masterchief are different between cutsceens and the gameplay itself. They haven't mastered a way to make the perspective angles work consistently either, which basically means that from SOME angles, at certain distances, a helmet might look right, and from other angles it might not.

Kinda' like the action figure's helmet. That's definately based on a BMX helmet, and from some angles is a perfect representation of what MC's helmet looked like when he was close to the "camera" from certain angles. If you see him from a slight distance, it changes the perspective angles, and makes the toy version look inaccurate.

For the record though.. the toy is NOT accurate, and is "wrong" in many ways. If you match it, you will feel disappointed whenever you play halo 2 multiplayer, because you'll see all the stuff you wanna do differently on your suit.

cromagnolia said:
After seeing some of these bad-ass costumes, I've already begun planning for next Halloween. I've decided it's best to start with the helmet, it seems like it could be the easiest form, and a good stopping point should I decide to give up. ;0)

Any suggestions on brand/model of a base helmet upon which to build mjolnir armor? Also - anyone in Austin wanna help/collaborate?

Of course man! We're working on getting people in Austin to get together on this, but so far. (on this site) Just you and me in Austin.

Last edited by a moderator:
personally i don't think there is anything you can base it on that will work well. you can tell from the gallery which helmets are made from BMX style helmets, they just seem way to round at the top.

You could try a cheap paintball mask and making like a subframe, then building up from that. i think it'll be hard to find a visor that works though.

I think mine will be built from scratch but we'll see.

Ciao,
Heroics

you can do that way then you'll need bondo and lots of sanding to get it smooth again.....i used plastic to build up and bondo to fill in

you might want to use matboard to build up, and bondo to fill in too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back