Help With Cardboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I just joined this site, been reading tons of tutorials, but I can't seem to find one on how to make the helmet out of cardboard instead of fancy fiberglass and resin (I am young and poor) So I was just wondering if someone knew a good tutorial or could explain the best way to fit the 3d paper model to a cardboard model. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just to reiterate what SpArtan-270 said, scratch-building is a very good option if you don't have the money or experience to create a pepakura helmet. Sadly, because scratch building is exactly that, building from scratch, there is no easy way to make a tutorial for it. I've scratch built many different things out of cardboard and know just how rewarding it can be. All it takes is a good eye for detail, a little patience, and, of course, some cardboard.

From my own experience I recommend using different thicknesses of cardboard for different parts of the helmet; from thin cardboard off of a twelve pack of soda to get really detailed folds and such, all the way up to corrugated cardboard for more rigid sections, it's all about using the right cardboard for the right job. I also would recommend using hot glue or even wood glue because of how strong they are. The only downside to wood glue is how long it takes to harden.

ERADICATORofDTH said:
Ok so what you are saying is print out the sheets, cut them out, glue them to cardboard, cut out the cardboard, and sorta fold how you would normally do with paper, just with cardboard? Also, is the helmet a one size fits all? Is it possible that it could be too small?

It's quite possible that it might come out too small or too large, but if you follow the scaling tutorial in the pepakura section of the boards, you should be able to get the sizing just about right your first time.

That's one of the advantages of scratch building...you know it fits, because you made it to fit. :p

Good luck with your project, if you do decide to build a helmet out of cardboard I hope you post your progress, it's always nice to see how a project develops, especially when someone decides to use a less conventional method.

^-^Foxy~>

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait wait wait, too many things wrong here. Step 1, we have a Q&A Team, it's in the stickies this could have easily been answered off the board. The reason no one can find anything with the search is it keeps getting buried by the same questions OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. Which is why we have the rules about what to post and what not to post. Futhermore, everything you could ever want to know about paper methods of building a helmet can be covered in the stickies of the Pepakura/CARDBOARD forum as well. Get some cardstock, make yourself a pepakura helmet and then you don't have to use our fancy resin and fiberglass. There are a ton of other hardening methods, such as the hot glue method. If you were so inclined to build it out of cardboard, you can either scratch build it or you can build a pepakura helmet and then simply hotlglue reinforcement cardboard on the inside when you're done. If you cut out every piece of pep and then glue it to cardboard and then cut it out you'll be there forever because if you follow the previous advice you're not going to know which piece goes where unless you sit infront of the computer and select each face on the model and guesstimate the thickness of cardboard on that model as you attempt to bend and glue it in place without warping. In Mythbusters terms, plausible but not practicable. This is a hobby that takes money, paper and ink are pretty much free in today's day and age. Start small and work your way up. The pepakura stickies also answers your questions on scaling.

If you have any more questions, find a Q&A Member that meets your needs and ask them. That list can also be found in the stickies, which apparently no one is reading. End of discussion.

Cheers,
Kensai

Trust me, I looked in the cardboard section, but I am really sorry if I don't feel like spending several hours reading all the stickies trying to find the answer to my question. My mistake... I just want to get the helmet and maybe a weapon done for Halloween, and work on the full armor pieces in my spare time for next year.

ERADICATORofDTH said:
Trust me, I looked in the cardboard section, but I am really sorry if I don't feel like spending several hours reading all the stickies trying to find the answer to my question. My mistake... I just want to get the helmet and maybe a weapon done for Halloween, and work on the full armor pieces in my spare time for next year.

Hence why we have a Q&A Team... be thankful.

Cheers,
Kensai

kensai111 said:
Hence why we have a Q&A Team... be thankful.

Cheers,
Kensai
Well, not to rag on them or anything, but im not too big a fan of the QA team. They just yell at people that make question threads and dont ask the QA members a question. Therefore... ill stop before I go on too far.

Back to the topic, Cardboard, is actually not as hard as people make it out to be...
Cardboard is my preferred method of building. Why?
1. You dont need resin
2. You dont need a computer
3. You can take and make your own custom parts of to make it uniquely your own.

Also, if your going to use cardboard, just have a good memory and vision of what you want to make. Use many references and pictures as needed. Ill stop now before I go on and on... - Ice

Thanks for all the advice guys, but I actually completely finished my helmet like 20 mins ago doing it with resin and fiberglass.

I'll Start a new thread to show a pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back