Help with Non-Uniform Scaling for 3D Models

Status
Not open for further replies.

S2i

I'm hoping to get some 3D printed parts, but I'm curious as to the best way to scale them to my size. I'm 5'9 and a fairly thin guy, so a uniform scale typically doesn't fit well. I've used the uniform scaling tools in Armorsmith, but have yet to print anything. Does anyone know if it's acceptable to print files that have been scaled in Armorsmith? If not, has anyone had experience scaling non-uniformly with other means?

On another note: how much should I expect a full suit of armor to cost, PLA-wise? Just looking for a rough estimate--any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

has anyone had experience scaling non-uniformly with other means?

Yes. I do it all the time in Blender. I'll scale on the z axis a little more than the x and y for the thighs or shin. It works out fine so long as it looks like it belongs.

On another note: how much should I expect a full suit of armor to cost, PLA-wise? Just looking for a rough estimate--any help would be appreciated.

I went through 8 spools of material when doing a master chief build. that means a Mark 6 starting cost is about 184 and then it goes up from there, probably no more than 4 or 500 (you have to think about visors, under suit, electronics, straps, clips, fasteners, and maybe a 3D pen to help mend the seams, glue, ect.).

Yes. I do it all the time in Blender. I'll scale on the z axis a little more than the x and y for the thighs or shin. It works out fine so long as it looks like it belongs.

I went through 8 spools of material when doing a master chief build. that means a Mark 6 starting cost is about 184 and then it goes up from there, probably no more than 4 or 500 (you have to think about visors, under suit, electronics, straps, clips, fasteners, and maybe a 3D pen to help mend the seams, glue, ect.).

Got it, thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back