help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xavier

alright, so my dad is FREAKING out about me wearing fiberglass over & around my head, (says i will die in 10 years) could a few people who are experienced with the pep build process explain why/how it is not dangerous and at the same time the only way that this would work?

Thanks so much

X

well, you could always Seal the Fiberglass with polyurethane, thats what I do what I do when I seal my faceplates
polyurethane is something similar to Liquid Plastic, but its different because its in a spray form, its used for sealing Wood Trim from Water and moisture, also it leaves a shine after a Few coats, so it should seal your head off from any Harmful fiberglass particles :dee:

yep, its available at any hardware store, its mainly used for sealing wood trim, but it can be used for sealing other things, just make sure you get the clear kind, also look for other things such as indoor and outdoor, also it can be used as a clear coat to give your helmet that "shine"

cool, the only stuff ive seen is the bondo in the can, is the spray good for the outside layer of resin?

Xavier said:
cool, the only stuff ive seen is the bondo in the can, is the spray good for the outside layer of resin?
Stay Away from ze bondo, not good stuff when it comes to sealing

Last edited by a moderator:
Bondo is a body filler, it can get heavy and can break, polyurethane forms an invisible weightless barrier on things, it traps what ever its sprayed on in and keeps everything else out(such as water and stuff), I would recommend putting a coat on the outside and inside, but let it dry for a full 24 hrs. then put another coat on, then paint, seal again, and add your visor, then you got a good helmet :)
and another thing, when you spray it, wear gloves, try not to touch it, its very very sticky.
Hope this helped you out :)

so this is the wrong stuff to use?

MVC-313F.jpg

no, my dad thinks that the resin wont seal in the fiberglass well enough and that i'll breath it in,so after i paint on that bondo resin and let it dry, i should spray it with the stuff in the can?

edit:i havent done anything past gluing it all together

Xavier said:
no, my dad thinks that the resin wont seal in the fiberglass well enough and that i'll breath it in,so after i paint on that bondo resin and let it dry, i should spray it with the stuff in the can?

i think that answers ur question iron

Xavier said:

edit:i havent done anything past gluing it all together

thats what the resin is for the resin will harden the glass and you will not breath in the glass....dont put it on untill its all dry wait about a day, leave outside so the smell well go away..the filler is really to fill in dips and small holes and it helps smoothing everything out

Yea for instance the outside, resin let it dry (if you want add another layer for strength). inside the helmet, resin>fiberglass>resin (like the outside you can add another layer of fiberglass and resin but its an option).

But you have to take into account the mat is way more flexible then cloth which is better for getting into those nooks and crannies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back