Helpful hint for newbies ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can always tell when we're using fibreglass, latex, clay, plaster, or silicone at work - those are the days we all turn up in our ugliest clothing and most unwanted sneakers. You want to make sure you're wearing something that you're not going to end up thinking "carp, I hope this stuff washes out..." about. And you want to make sure you're well covered.
I can admit I laughed at a male co-worker who turned up in shorts and got resin in his leg hair, which he then had to cut out, leaving a noticable bald patch on his leg for two weeks.

o0o yeah i forgot about the clothes thing. i usually do my fiber glassing outside in front of my garage without a shirt on and in shorts (i live in Florida, ugh heat and humidity). i do tend to get drips on my forearms for some reason, even though they are no where near the resin usually.

here is a good tip: cover up as much exposed skin as possible. it is a good idea is to wear gloves, long pants and a long sleeve shirt if you can to prevent any chance of resin getting on your skin. it isnt too bad if it does, it just stings really bad, like a bee sting.

Well, it depends on the resin you're using and on your skin.
Some people are prone to dermatitis and contact with resin can be a really undesirable experience!
I also knew a girl who nearly "burned" from touching resin (she felt like she was burning, and her skin would go bright red, form welts, etc.) because of an intolerance to it, and we couldn't find any resins that were okay for her. We ended up buying massive tubs of nail-glue (the type used to stick fake nail tips on) to use instead.
And at work, diabetics get sent home if they're not in full protective gear because they usually have poor circulation and nervous sensations, and less likely to notice a reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back