Helpful hint for newbies ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathbox

Jr Member
when i started Armorcrafting i was already experienced with Pepakura. i had made various things like animals, Hellboys Samaritan, various game guns, etc, so naturally when i saw that i could make various

wearable suits of my favorite comic book character, Iron Man, using a skill i alredy had i was ecstatic. i saw various works from different people and such and thought "Piece of cake!". anyone who has made any

decent amount of Pepakura, or papercraft items, knows that the actual act of making the item out of paper is a matter of a steady hand for cutting, some glue or tape for attaching and the ability to match

numbers together. not so tough, so lets move on to what i didnt know but have learned.

here are some answers to questions that get asked often and ones i had when i started:

• Walmart: $12 for a can of fiberglass resin, $5 for the mat, $1 per 2" brush, $5 for a pack of 110 lb card stock, $20 for a gallon of Bondo Body Filler. everything else you need can be purchased there as well.
  • TAKE YOUR TIME! the slower and more meticulous you are the better your project will come out.

• you can use scissors or an X-Acto blade to cut out your Pepakura pieces.

• most kinds of adhesive work just fine: white glue, super glue, hot glue, rubber cement, tape, etc.

• - use something as support struts when needed (folded pieces of card stock, bamboo skewers, etc.)

• i have found that when using tape you will encounter problems when it comes to resinning the piece.

• when you put resin over the scotch tape the tape sometimes comes loose and warps so use a glue if you can.

• when you resin the outside, do the coats nice and thin. the piece comes out better and less chance of warping the card stock with thin coats.

• do at least 3-4 coats of resin on the outside to build up the strength of the piece for when you fiberglass the inside.

• get used to buying lots of $1 paint brushes from Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot.

• reusing brushes is risky. its better to use a new one with each batch of resin you mix.

• as for the resin itself, mixing the hardener is not something you just "do". you have to get a feel for what works best for you: less hardener and the resin takes longer to dry, more hardener and it dries faster.

• its all a matter of preference.

• once you see ANY clumping in the resin its time to throw it out. its only a matter of seconds before its too clumpy to use at all.

• do NOT resin the entire outside of a piece on the first coat, sometimes not even on the second coat. if you do it in sections you will have a better chance of the piece not warping or coming out misshapen.

• after, and only after, you have built up a decent outer coating of dried resin it is time to do the inside of the piece.

• there are two types of mat you can use with your fiberglass: nylon cloth mat or fiber cloth mat. the nylon cloth is better for new people because it is less messy and easier to work with. the fiber cloth seems to

• harden stronger. the type of mat you use is totally optional and simply a matter of preference. i use the fiber because i feel it shapes easier and hardens stronger.

• anyone who tells you they fiber glassed the inside of their helmet or chest piece of whatever with only something like an ounce or two of resin is full of crap. be ready to buy TONS of resin. i estimated around
  • 10-12 of the containers of resin (i forgot how many ounces is in each one but they are the metal cans you see everyone showing).

• the way you lay your fiberglass mat and resin inside your piece is also a matter preference. i started out doing the small uniform pre-cut squares that were around 2x2 inches. what i have learned works best

• for me is to take the piece i am working on and cut a large piece of mat to lay inside the piece and trim the mat so that i have once piece of mat to use instead of tons of little annoying squares. obviously this

• would be done in sections so i would only cut enough to do the section i want to resin at the time.

• when its time to lay down the mat i would put a very thin layer of just the resin in the area i want to apply the mat to just to get the mat to stick. after i have the mat stuck i would dip the brush in the resin and dab

• the mat instead of using strokes. once a decent amount of resin is in the area i will brush it outwards.

• you want to put a decent amount of resin down over the mat but not too much. this is something you need to get a feel for and learn what is best for you, just try to keep it as thin as possible.

• you dont want clumps of resin anywhere, it should be a uniform thickness everywhere if possible.

• FIBER GLASSING IS MESSY AND VERY VERY STICKY!

• wear gloves and a respirator if possible. i will admit, they arent essential but they are great things to have. it doesnt look like it but resin stings like a mofo when it gets on your skin and it smells like your

• head is in a tank of gasoline. chant: gloves and mask! gloves and mask! gloves and mask!

• i have found that when it comes to the edges of a piece you should have the fiber glass go past the edges and apply the resin to both the inside of the piece as normal and then run the brush on the outside

• to get the resin to cover the mat and card stock. this will put resin over everything and make it easier when you cut off the excess.

• use a Dremel to cut off the excess hardened mat. a Dremel is almost essential when Armoring for cutting, sanding small areas and even drilling some times.

• if you plan on using the pieces to make molds then you dont need to worry about the smoothness of the inside of your piece.

• if you plan on wearing the item make sure you sand the inside well and coat it with something like truck bed liner or something that you dont mind touching your skin and isnt scratchy.

• after you have resinned the outside and fiber glassed the inside it is a good idea to use a spray primer over any place you plan on sanding to make the imperfections stand out.

• sand what you need to sand and use Bondo Body Filler wherever you need to to fill in cracks and pits.

• for each golf ball size glob of body filler you use you should use about 1" of hardener.

• remember to kneed the the Bondo hardener before using it.

• do not stir the Bondo and hardener, you should fold them together to keep air bubbles out. kneed it until it is all one solid color.

• Bondo is like fiberglass resin, once everything is mixed you are under a time limit before it hardens.

• you are best served by buying the body filler spreader 3-pack from Walmart for $3 to use to spread out the Bondo.

• use as little as you can because you are going to have to sand it and you can always add more later.

• palm sized electric sanders are your best friend and will save a TON of elbow work, however, you can never get out of using just the sandpaper at some point.

• when initially sanding use 60 grit sandpaper. once you are finished with the 60 grit and have everything looking decent, go back over it using the highest grit sandpaper you can find, around 150 or higher,, to

• give a very smooth surface. its worth the extra time.

• once you have the piece sanded and to your liking its time to paint.

• use a primer to seal everything well.

• if you use spray paint, remember, thin even coats, lots of thin even coats.

• people achieve that nice glassy look by using enamel paint and Clear Coat afterward.

• remember: once you get to the fiber glassing stage, take your time and make sure you cover everything you need to.

• remember: when you get to the Bondo stage, use small amounts and be prepared for a ton of sanding.

• time for the number one rule of Armorcraft: ALWAYS post pics for people to see! (i know im a hypocrite on this one, but mine will be up soon enough, lol)

Here are links to some of the more common items you will need on the cheap:

$0.24 Paint Brushes from Wood Working Parts.com

Armorcraft is a form of art and every artist has his/her own methods. through time you will develop your own but i hope these little tidbits of information i have learned that may help newbies and things i wish i

knew when i started. i hope this helps some. if i think of anything else ill add it as i think of it or come across it. it would be awesome for others to contribute bits of info for newbies and even seasons vets. a

person should never stop learning and can always learn more.

Peppers keep on Pepping!

do you have a link Silent?

if someone has a link for ordering products cheap ill go ahead and add the link into the main post. cheap brushes are awesome!

go all out and get the gallon of resin. itll save some money and i guarantee youll use all of it. and yeah, i got my brushes at harbor freight in the bulk pack for $6.

i hope it does too Trooper. im going to keep adding as i learn myself, kinda making a "Things I Wish I Knew 30 Seconds Before I Tried Them" kinda thing. if anyone else has encountered things along the way they want to share, please, by all means, post them. this thread is all about helping newbies and even teaching old dogs some new tricks. after all, we were all newbies at one point and all had the same questions.

Deathbox, thank you. I just finished this helmet in less than 36 hours. It was my first one that I did for practice so that I wouldn't mess up some crazy awesome one that I spent my life on. This thread really helped me out. I know I am new here but I would like to make a suggestion for other noobs. If you are making a helmet, make your first one a basic, simple one so you can get the hang of it. Mine isn't the prettiest one on the block but I learned what to do and what not to do as well as get good practice. It will make taking on a tough job next time a bit easier because you won't be set back by little mistakes or not knowing what to do.

Few important tips:
1. Don't use printer paper. It can work but it is very flimsy. (I made mine out of that... pictures below.
2. Be patient. I know I did mine in a little less than 36 hours but I was literally working on it as soon as it was done drying each time.
3. Read the forums and look at the links. There are great people here like Deathbox, Long Shot, and misfitjh that are leaving tutorials and helpful tips / replies but that doesn't mean we should batter them with questions that have been answered hundreds of times. I found everything i need in this forum, all you have to do is search it.

This was my start out of printer paper:

0909100928.jpg

First careful coat of resin on the creases:

0909101135.jpg

Full coat of resin:

0909101351.jpg

4th coat of resin and the 1st coat on the inside:

0909101848.jpg

(there should be a picture of the fiberglass cloth sorry its not here)

Coat of Bondo... worst sanding experience of my life. In face I kinda gave up. GET AN ELECTRIC SANDER.

0909102237.jpg

My finished helmet without the visor. Paint still drying.:

103_1038.jpg

103_1041.jpg

103_1039.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed the pictures. Maybe it'll help someone.

Best of luck to you all!

-Chris

Wish me luck on my HD helmet.

you have a good point Chris, if you havent gone through the process of building and fiber glassing and sanding then make something simple and do everything to it to get the hang of things. it may cost you a bit of resin and a couple of brushes but it will save you blood, sweat and tears later on in your build. i am glad that my post could help you man. i have noticed that people seem to always ask the same questions and people usually give round about answers or tell them how they do it. they never mention that the whole process is kind of a "get the hang of it" thing or that everyone modifies the processes to suit them. heh was the whole process as messy and sticky as i said it was? ... it was so frustrating for me the first time, everything sticking to my hands. did you get any resin on you, lol?

btw, awesome pics and great job!

heh was the whole process as messy and sticky as i said it was? ... it was so frustrating for me the first time, everything sticking to my hands. did you get any resin on you, lol?

btw, awesome pics and great job!

lol yeah for the outside coats of resin i didnt use gloves because I was in an open enviorment and I was being careful but I did use a respirator. Just to give everyone an idea, I was outside and it was windy and the smell / chemicals in the air were really bad. I highly reccomend a respirator... its 25 bucks at home depot and worth every penny.

I did get a bit on my finger... wash it off fast with soap and a towel or something it gets it off fast. If it dries itll take a while.

It was PAINFULLY STICKY when I did the inside of the helmet. I am on the First Aid Squad so I ran down to the building and grabbed about 10 pairs of disposable gloves.... they saved me with the resin / fiberglass cloth process. I had just enough to finish. The fiberglass cloth strings were all over my hands and stuff. The one glove on top of another tactic works real well. When it gets sticky you throw out that pair and you se the one underneath.

Thanks a lot! I can now begin working on the rest of my odst armor... the helmet will be made last this time.

Thanks for the great read!

Some of the things I knew. Some of them I read and said "Der of course" and some stuff I never even thought of.

Will definetly help me out :)

Great post!
I've been researching this process for about a week now and about 95% of that has been spent on this forum or on YouTube channels of forum members. This is exactly what I needed. My friend and I are going out to gather some supplies this weekend so we can go ahead and get started!!!

I just started working on my first build so here's my tip after working on the armor as a first timer.
FORGET FIBERGLASSING the INSIDE (unless you like to torture yourself).
Go with RONDO! (Bondo body Filler + Fiberglass Resin). I'll write down the Method I learned after some research through the forum and watching Bensteeper's vids http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/22923-How-To-Make-A-Helmet-From-Pep-To-Finish

1. Get a plastic cup and fill it with some bondo body filler
2. Mix in some resin. Most people say use equal parts resin and Bondo, but I don't like to use a lot of resin for several reasons. I don't want the Rondo to be TOO runny I want a slight creamy texture (similar to melted ice cream). Also Resin is the most expensive out of the 2 products which you also need to use for hardening your pep so it's good to be a bit conservative. I mix about 3/4 Body filler with 1/4 Resin. Depending on how runny you want it you can mix in some more resin or less.
3. Mix the mixtures together Until it is of uniform consistency that you wanted
4. Mix in some of the Hardener from the bondo body filler Until it is of a uniform color, a little pinkish (optional, you may mix in some of the liquid hardener from the resin but it's not required) there is not a defined amount you should put in so long as you put in enough to make the rondo mixture change color after you mix it. NOTE: the more Hardener you put in, the faster it hardens.
5. Get your piece like a Helmet, Pour the Rondo inside and start slushing it(rotating the piece) around until the Rondo has covered the entire inside of the piece or the area you wish for it to cover if your working on a larger piece.
6.You can also get a Paint Brush and start take the excess and brushing it around areas that you missed or use it to help direct the flow of Rondo to where you need it. if there's quite a bit of excess you can take the brush and start painting the brim of your helmet with some of the rondo to save you some time later on for applying it to these areas. But the moment it begins to be to hard to pick up and apply with the brush, ie after you pick some up with your brush and the mixture doesn't resettle in a uniform liquid and instead starts to have the indents from your brush, then it is time to stop and let it cure because the rondo is now too hard to work with.
7. For pieces that have open edges (no barrier to stop the rondo from pouring out as your rotate) You can create a raised edge with some painters or packing tape. just fold the tape in half and use the sticky part of it outside the pep piece.
8. The mixture DOES get warm, and in some cases I've heard on a video it can get too hot to hold the piece so if that happens, set the piece down and let it cure. It takes a bit of time before it starts to heat up so You have plenty of time to slush the area you want.
7. it takes about 15-20 min to properly cure, but if you want to be sure you can wait longer. It is a little sticky to the touch, but as long as it's hard its ready.

Advantage:
severely reduces the hours of work time with fiberglass resin and mat
The rondo mixture will get into nearly every nook and cranny and form to the inside of the pep
Less head banging and tears from cutting and trying to stick fiberglass mat into every inch of your helmet
It becomes a very solid piece
fast cure time
Disadvantage:
Make's the helmet a bit heavier then if you went the fiberglass mat route

i tried the Rondo thing but it wound up to be a lot heavier and made the walls of the piece much thicker than with fiber glass. fiber glass, if done neatly and smoothly, is very thin and very strong. fiber glassing may be much more taxing but it is still better in my opinion. this just goes to show that Armorcraft is more a matter of preference than a factual method. damn i love this hobby!

i tried the Rondo thing but it wound up to be a lot heavier and made the walls of the piece much thicker than with fiber glass. fiber glass, if done neatly and smoothly, is very thin and very strong. fiber glassing may be much more taxing but it is still better in my opinion. this just goes to show that Armorcraft is more a matter of preference than a factual method. damn i love this hobby!

I'll agree with you there. I prefer the Rondo route for how easy and quick it is, im working on my first set of armor and attempting to finish it by halloween so i dont got much time with school coming up too. =/ When i start my 2nd armor in a distant future, I might try fiberglass if im not trying to make a deadline.

here is another tip: if you are making a piece and your armor calls for two identical pieces and you are casting a mold, just make one perfect one and cast multiples of it, for example shoulder bells or pads, hand plates, dials, caps, feet, etc.

i know it sounds like common sense to say that, but, im sure there are people ot there who havent thought of it and it might help someone. ill be honest, im making a War Machine suit and it didnt occur to me to only make one hand plate, one shoulder bell with accessories, foot and anything else i can make two of out of one mold. it will save a ton of time and even some cash by using less card stock, glue, resin, mat and especially time. yeah you may not have a full set of armor when you are finished and ready to cast the molds, but after you make the molds you can have as many full sets of armor as you want.

the way i figure it, once i have cast everything i need for a full set of War Machine and Iron Man armor (probably Mark III) i can make my full sets of both and then mix and match to make all kinds of armors from the molds and i will only need one of each piece molded.

also, is there anyone working on a Hulk Buster suit for Pepping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back