Here we go...AGAIN...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trios

So I joined the 405th a year back and was dead set on making my own ODST and/or mark 4 armor...don't know if anyone remembers me, probly not...anyways right as I started to get into this idea and the pepakura was coming along great...my funds dried up which effectively shut me down, so now I am back and at it again...I have this to say, THANK GOD I didnt go through with my original plan...I have some interesting ideas for this piece I want to make...I know its my first set and will likely not look as good as I want it to but ima start here...so I dont know if anyone has approached this topic which brings me to the reason for this thread...I need to know if there would be anyway to attach a 10.1 no cd drive netbook anywhere under the armor, probly with some modifications of course but in general just velcro it to like the inside of the back plate...the reason being is I would like to put a voice changer in the helmet...essentially you have the netbook running an active voice changer. I will probobly be using MorphVOXpro or a variation of that program with my own custom voice settings...the netbook with be attached to 2 pieces in the helmet which you can probably guess...the microphone which will more than likely be a single ear headset, and the speakers...I have selected what I think will be a nice pair of speakers...the Nokia Mini Speakers MD-6, these, when open actually resemble the lights on one side of the spartan armor and if placed right would be able to I think function very well as the output for the voice changer without causing too much variation from the original helmets design...anyways those are my ideas...here are the problems I have spotted and need to find solutions too...help is much appreciated...

Netbook issues:
1. Mounting - location where the netbook can descreetly sit and run the program without too much trouble...
2. constant motion - yes they say laptops and netbooks are for travel, but its still not really good for the hardrive to be on while the laptop is not stationary...
My possible solutions: install a solid state drive...
3. Venting - as we all know computers get hot...and while I may not mind a backwarmer in certain situations...the netbook would def not appreciate it
My possible solutions: cut vents into the top shoulders of the chest piece and install fans in them to circulate airflow and then cut a vent in the backplate near the mounted netbooks exhaust pot...
4. Condensation and sweat - we all know that liquids and none sealed electronics do not mix well...this is more than likely going to be my biggest problem with the netbook...

other than that I really cant think of problems with the speakers or the mic, just a simple drop them into the finished helmet and run the wires...pretty simple really...and thats what scares me! simple things always end up coming back to bite you in the %&# so I need fresh brains working on possible problems, I also have not made a suit yet so more experienced eyes may spot problems I miss...here a links to examples of what I will be using...

Netbook
Speakers
Microphone

again any more experienced or outside input is appreciated...and yes I know this is kinda nuts but I think if I do it right it'll be pretty slick...

10/30/10
Here are the Peps Im using

Helmet , IMG
Chest, IMG
R-Bicep, IMG
L-Bicep, IMG
R-Forearm, IMG
L-Forearm, IMG
R-Hand Plate, IMG
L-Hand Plate, IMG
Cod Piece, IMG
R-Thigh, IMG
L-Thigh, IMG
R-Shin IMG
L-Shin, IMG
R-Boot, IMG
L-Boot, IMG

Currently downloading 3ds Max so I can use a full master chief model to look for possible solutions to my problem...serious lack of activity than I remember... :( maybe its just me

Also, my aim for completion on each piece is as follows
Helmet - 1 month
Chest - 1 month
Biceps - 1 month
Forearms - 1 month
Cod & thighs - 1 & 1/2 months
Shins - 1 month
Hand Plates & Boots - 1 month

Aimed for completion on Oct 30th 2011 I think this is a good schedule it gives me 4 & 1/2 months of play to take a little longer or make redo's not to mention get the money for the netbook, speakers, Mic, and AVC program...

Suit cost estimate: $100-$150
Total cost estimate: $400-$600

If anyone can point out a problem with this schedule please let me know...

10/31/10

First major problem in the project...Pepakura does not seem to be printing properly...at first I though it was overlapping pieces but then I fixed. Then I though maybe the borders...the 1" margin my stupid printer likes to add, but its not that either...Also the printer isn't printing all the pages. It will print like 3 pages of 11 and stop..Very, VERY annoying! anyone ever deal with anything like this...Looking for a quick resolution seeing as my project is on hold until I can fix this...

Ha ha, information overload. It is good consider everything but it is also good to break down the project into manageable chunks. Concentrate on one aspect of the project with 99% of your energy, the remaining 1% is keeping track of how that one aspect fits in the big picture.

Your cost estimates toward the high end seem ok. Also netbooks can come standard with a ssd, do not really get hot, and are resilient to water vapor.

lol, yea its a bit of a big..big picture...Thanks for advice decade...I do know that the netbooks can come with solid state drive but the problem is the mark up on any computer with a solid state drive is rediculous...where as I can get an intel SSD at bestbuy for a little over $100 but im still not sure if i'm gonna get an SSD anyways ill prob see if I complete the project first, and then if the normal hard drive is sufficient...I have also decided to make each pep piece without scaling and on normal paper to practice folds and techniques since I have been gone for almost a year lol, But the ssd will most likeley come into play since as you said it eliminates 3 of the 4 problems with the netbook addition to the suit...Ill keep the updates coming.

practiceprogress.jpg
progressforum.jpg

I have thought along these same lines. Some of the conclusions I have come to are this (Again, for me).

(1)Try and find a good voice modulator\masker that is not a computer at all. If you're only running one piece of software on a notebook there is no reason to have such an elaborate machine.

(2) There's an app for that. If you have an iPhone or app compatible smartphone then I am sure there's an app out there that'll do what you need. No over heating, no fear of shaking, small and easy to place and should be much easier to protect from water.

(3) K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid). The fact that you have a MC suit will blow 99.9% of people away. If it has ANY kind of voice modulation and speakers it will blow 99.9999% of people away. This is the biggest one I have to keep reminding myself of all the time. You're looking at a guy who wants\wanted to put these on the inside of my MC helmet
or figure out how to manufacture all of the piece of out Spectra\titanium weave so to afford actual ballistic resistance. In the end though you gotta make something that is reasonable AND fun. I mean come on, to be honest some of us will never be happy till there is a true MC strength augmenting, AI assisted, motion tracking suit that has a shield. Until that day comes though, just make sure you know why you want to do it for yourself.

If you're like me and you want people to just think you and your armor\props are out of this world, then you don't need to be a walking computer. If you really do want to do it for you though, Full Speed Ahead! and more power to you. Hope the advice helped even in the least. No matter what really looking forward to a very BA project that you're gunna turn out

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, but its a netbook..lol, I did have a longer response but i hit the wrong button...lulz, main reason for the netbook instead of using a phone is A I dont have a smartphone, B the mic is a USB headset, and C...dude, i get a netbook lol...and also, that tv thing is awesome, if I was gonna drop that in I would use it as a side thing and connect it to the netbook that is really slick...!

Hey, no prob. Like I said, no wrong answer, these are just some of the things I came up with wanting to tackle the similar issue. I believe for my PA system I will be putting speakers in the little shoulder rises on the chest piece and have very discrete holes\slits for sound to come out. I think it would be cool to put speakers in helmet, but there's too much of a feedback risk for my liking.

Personally for me, the backpack (area) is going to be a power supply area for me with a lot of batteries and what not and each will be attached to its own system, PA, head fans, helmet lights, background music system, etc. I can't wait to see your final project though.

That's what I love about here at the 405th. We'll just keep on innovating till we have some unbelieveable systems setup
(I personally think as far as prop\costumers go, we beat everyone else just hands down as far as the overall populace is concerned. Gotta cut out the outliers ;) )

I have also decided to make each pep piece without scaling and on normal paper to practice folds and techniques

Don't do that! One piece is enough by far to practice papercraft and you may end up building multiple models of each piece anyways because of issues with the scaling.

Yea, but its a netbook..lol, I did have a longer response but i hit the wrong button...lulz, main reason for the netbook instead of using a phone is A I dont have a smartphone, B the mic is a USB headset, and C...dude, i get a netbook lol...and also, that tv thing is awesome, if I was gonna drop that in I would use it as a side thing and connect it to the netbook that is really slick...!

Keep in mind that today's netbooks (and laptops and basicaly all consumer class mobile computers) are pretty easy to break. I'd go for a dedicated circuit as well. And once you find one that works, please PM me ;-)

Yea def, I didnt think about a backpack...I may look into that but thats another plus on the netbook, its battery life is 2 or 3 hours on high power settings so it will give me alot of run time...plus if I can figure out where to drop an extra power supply...it will b good..Heres to the 405th...CHEERS :)

Venture, what do you mean by a dedicated circuit? the netbook I plan to use is included in my original post.

11/1/10

Practice Piece is the helmet and it is half way done w00t :D I am going to bed...man easy to lose track of time when pepping...

Interesting development...I am not positive but I think the original file scaling for the Dannifood4less Mark VI helmet is the right size for my head so Thanks Danni lol

And with the coming of midnight ends my 16 approximate hours of work to finish my first ever armor piece and the practice piece I began 2 days ago, now I will begin my real armor as soon as I can acquire the materials...And yes the unscaled piece does indeed fit on my head...AWESOME!!!! xD I will play with image sizes tomorrow, I have school this morning and am too tired to do anything else...

practiceprogress.jpg
frontxk.jpg
sidep.jpg
bottomfront.jpg
topback.jpg

Always love when others start getting creative with tech when I am thinking the same thing. Ppl posting vids like the flat screen and such. Watching for more tech stuff here!

well I dont think I am goiong to drop the organic led screen into my helmet yet...we are still in the just for show phase not the I want to watch tv in my head phase lol...Although I may also buy another RF bluetooth adapter so I can use the mic and be on my phone lol....be interesting to see masterchief and he both sides of the conversation come out of 1 person lol...anyways yea I am going to hold onto this helmet until I get the card stock and then I will most likely cut this one in half and post more details about where I am going to drop the mic and the dimensions of the speakers I am going to use and where they will go and so on so stay tuned! xD...

Noob Tip #1: when you have a large piece to pep, think how the pieces would be forged...I made the mistake working from the front back, which is good and all until you get to the back and things dont quite line up...that is where things can be frustrating...so heres the tip...make the piece in segments like this is what I should have done for the helmet...

Visor, mouth and nose, lower sides, top, and lower back, then it will be easier to glue the bigger pieces together rather then trying to work around the inside of the piece...(again very frustrating)

Maybe, good Idea...I would also like to look at making an AR with an ammo counter that will reset with an actual reload motion...Instead of pressing a reset button, if you watch the reload in game I dont know the name for it but the MC pulls back a bolt slide of some kind. The reset would occur when I push the slide forward again, and possibly even be able to make it eject a fake magazine when the slide is pulled back. anyways I am just gonna focus on my main project first...And school lol

I highly recommend magnet reed switches for the reload motion sensor. Get a normally closed one so that the presence of the magnet opens the switch. Pull the magnet away and the switch closes, resetting the counter.

Nice, thanks for advice Decade. I still haven't been able to find time to get materials for armor so I painted the practice piece last night...talk about making your own color template..oops lol. If you guys want pics just lemme know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back