Hey, well new...and worried to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And here we are

Attachments

• 20190728_180939.jpg
    20190728_180939.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 159
  • 20190728_180944.jpg
    20190728_180944.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 161
  • 20190728_185752.jpg
    20190728_185752.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 162
Ok FoxofShadows193 time to lay down the law......:

First off, getting your first build perfect, the first time around is near impossible....w/o time and exp behind your build, it ain't gonna happen so your statement about people younger than you doing a better job in 1/3 the time is just a lack of confidence. We are our own worst critique.

Second, your build pieces are not as bad as you think. Could they be better.....yes.....will you get to that point.....YES!!!! It just takes time and patience. Think of your build (KEY WORDS>>>"YOUR BUILD". I'll get back to that in a minute) as a marathon rather than a sprint. Take your time even if it take a month to get 1 piece done to your specks. Work at your pace.......

Third, this is your build.......not anyone else.......just yours......you can't compare it to anyone else's build because their build is....wait for it.......THEIRS!!!!! Not yours. Once you get over this ego destroying fact....you can focus on your own build and not what other people built.......and as a side not.....some of those people have been building for years.......so yeah, their pieces are going to be the best they make.....more key words!!!! YEARS......and.......THEY MAKE......

Fourth, please stop w/ the self deprecating attitude. You are part of an ELITE team that wants your support when it come time to pass the torch to the next batch of misfits that joins up.......and we will support you and help in any way we can to get your suit up to your standard what ever that may be......your standard..........whatever level that may be.

And finally.....Fifth. Foam may not be your medium.......people swear up and down that foam is the way to go.....other people hold that a full Pep is better.........so you tried foam and it sounds like you didn't like it.......next try full pep.

So let be give you my origin story and take what you can from it:

Short version....son wanted a MC suit for Purim (Jewish version of Halloween) I had never worked w/ foam before so at the ripe old age of 46 I began my HALO journey. Here is my first attempt at a foam build which in my mind, was a piece of garbage. But he wore it like he stole it and was the coolest kid at the carnival in school.
IMG-20160323-01208.jpg

IMG-20160323-01209.jpg

He not only wore this at a school carnival, he wore this to NYCC 2016...and LOVED IT!!!!! His first Con....actually 3 of my kids first Con.....He was the only one of us in costume and he was in heaven!!! All the attention was on him. Now does this look like MC suit....no....but at least I got the color right and the helmet is the most HALO recognizable aspect of the build. Today....4 years later...its a different story.....you'll get there.....it just takes time and experience. Stop putting so much pressure on yourself to make it perfect and in as fast a time as you can......that's when pieces look their worst..... this build of mine......1 month....and it shows........and I know it......my suit......2 years......and 2 years later, I'm still rocking it. And yes it is foam except for the helmet.....and that itself had issues.......but that is another story for another time.

You are part of an ELITE team that wants your support when it come time to pass the torch to the next batch of misfits that joins up.

I wrote a backstory for my Halo: Reach character that fits my expectations. Not anyone else's. That has given me motivation to go back and improve or redo parts of the thing. It took a long time between starting the thread and actually posting the story, but I did it and it rocks.

Maybe you could do the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back