High Impact paint/high resistant paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I'm just wondering if anyone knows about high impact paints? Or very very durable paints or clearcoats. That would be able to withstand some harsh environments.
Is there an actual "high impact paint" you're referring too that you want to test or are you just looking for a durable paint? As Sean mentioned, finding a paint that agrees with foam can be very challenging and typically most spray paints will crack on foam.. generally you're safe using acrylics on foam and what've found to be the absolute most durable to extreme flexing tests in Sherwin William's interior/exterior latex enamel paints for my base color. They're basically latex based paints with acrylic for the tone. So it's a win win in the durability department. I cut my house paint with water and spray on with my airbrush over my Rustoleum Leak Seal rubber primer coat. I use tamiya acrylics for all my detail painting once the house paint base color is applied. As for clear coats, you guessed it, hard to find one that wont crack under flexing or pressing a thumb into, the best flexible one I've found that works amazing on the house paint is Americana Matte Sealer. There is a code for it I can get you later. It's great, and very flexible, even resistant to rubbing alcohol in my test. My suit paint job is tough as nails and very durable

Is there an actual "high impact paint" you're referring too that you want to test or are you just looking for a durable paint? As Sean mentioned, finding a paint that agrees with foam can be very challenging and typically most spray paints will crack on foam.. generally you're safe using acrylics on foam and what've found to be the absolute most durable to extreme flexing tests in Sherwin William's interior/exterior latex enamel paints for my base color. They're basically latex based paints with acrylic for the tone. So it's a win win in the durability department. I cut my house paint with water and spray on with my airbrush over my Rustoleum Leak Seal rubber primer coat. I use tamiya acrylics for all my detail painting once the house paint base color is applied. As for clear coats, you guessed it, hard to find one that wont crack under flexing or pressing a thumb into, the best flexible one I've found that works amazing on the house paint is Americana Matte Sealer. There is a code for it I can get you later. It's great, and very flexible, even resistant to rubbing alcohol in my test. My suit paint job is tough as nails and very durable
I'm not sure if there is an actual "high impact paint" I'm just looking for something very durable. I'd hate for an armor paint job to last a short while. I'll try your recommendation when I build my armor. I just want to make sure If I drop a piece the paint won't chip, I'm not too worried about the armor itself since it'll be 3d printed and that's durable on its own. more worried about the actual paint.

it'll be 3d printed and that's durable on its own
I don't quite agree with this statement. 3D printed armour parts I baby and transport gingerly, foam stuff I just toss across a room and jam into the smallest storage container possible. One of these flexes and recovers where the other flexes and... snaps irrecoverably.

For a strong paint finish though, check out Spray Max 2K Clear Coat, it's spendy but it's a hard catalyzed clear finish that'll be hard to chip away.

I don't quite agree with this statement. 3D printed armour parts I baby and transport gingerly, foam stuff I just toss across a room and jam into the smallest storage container possible. One of these flexes and recovers where the other flexes and... snaps irrecoverably.

For a strong paint finish though, check out Spray Max 2K Clear Coat, it's spendy but it's a hard catalyzed clear finish that'll be hard to chip away.
Awesome! Thank you for the advice! Ill look it up :)

Gotcha well that's a
I'm not sure if there is an actual "high impact paint" I'm just looking for something very durable. I'd hate for an armor paint job to last a short while. I'll try your recommendation when I build my armor. I just want to make sure If I drop a piece the paint won't chip, I'm not too worried about the armor itself since it'll be 3d printed and that's durable on its own. more worried about the actual paint.
Gotcha ok well I thought we were talking foam painting. I would point you in the direction of very good attention to detail surface prep, always use gloves, wipe pieces with alcohol and spray with the color spray paint of choice. I like Rustoleum products but they do take a long time to dry. I always give all my paints the "smell test." Meaning I never cover them up with another paint or layer unless they have totally outgassed their evaporative contents for total curing (aside from multiple coats back to back of course is fine per can directions) then for clear coat on hard surface props, I've had amazing luck with duplicolor matte wheel clear. It hardens like a rock and is super crazy durable. It dries in a couple of hours but takes about 2 weeks to lose its smell and totally harden fully. Good luck!

Gotcha well that's a

Gotcha ok well I thought we were talking foam painting. I would point you in the direction of very good attention to detail surface prep, always use gloves, wipe pieces with alcohol and spray with the color spray paint of choice. I like Rustoleum products but they do take a long time to dry. I always give all my paints the "smell test." Meaning I never cover them up with another paint or layer unless they have totally outgassed their evaporative contents for total curing (aside from multiple coats back to back of course is fine per can directions) then for clear coat on hard surface props, I've had amazing luck with duplicolor matte wheel clear. It hardens like a rock and is super crazy durable. It dries in a couple of hours but takes about 2 weeks to lose its smell and totally harden fully. Good luck!
Sweet! I'll add that to my resource list :) You all have been very helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back