Hjc Visor Vs. Airsoft Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaso117

Hey guys!

I decided to take a scrap piece of my HJC visor and put it to the test. I know that one other member is testing his armor with a paintball gun, so I figured I'd put my visor to the test against my airsoft gun. The results may or may not surprise you.

gallery_3986_568_13858.jpg

This HJC visor was hit with a few bb's on single fire mode.

I was about 10 feet away, and used a Tokyo Marui MP5A5 with a CA high torque motor. The gun shoots at least 300 fps.

As you can see. the actual gold tint was taken off the visor by the pellets. The gun did not significantly dent the actual visor, or crack it, but then again, these visors are meant to be shatterproof.

I understand that the visor was tested with some pretty harsh variables, but I personally think that is a better thing.

So the question remains: While the HJC visor may be safe for airsoft, it is not necessarily durable enough for the game. Is there an alternative for builders who would like to use their helmet for airsoft? Or is that a long shot hope?

I'd love to hear your feedback!

[attachment=4900:airsoftdamage.gif]I have done airsoft testing before too . Here is an example. I coated a piece of cardstock with resin, then another spot with resin and fiberglass. From 10 feet away a 300fps spring pistol shot through the card stock and resin. When fired at the fiberglass the bb's bounced off but after 3-4 shots the paper on the back of the fiberglassed started to crack off with some resin attatched to it. These shots were fired straight on though so maybe an angle shot would be deflected better?

Sorry, btw the top half is coated in fiberglass and resin and the bottom have is just resin. I held it up to my lamp to show you guys the details!

well for how well a fiberglass may stand up to fiberglass is all a matter of distance and fps like my co2 pistol fires at 400fps and shot 5 feet away will put holes in odst helmet (not really the bb will get caught by the fiberglass) but i still woulndt really trust it now two layers is a different story but i do think that fiberglass is just find for playing airsoft games but i dont think wearing armor for airsoft is neccessary because sometimes i'll get shot and not even know it.

crackhead09 said:
but i dont think wearing armor for airsoft is neccessary because sometimes i'll get shot and not even know it.

I'm glad you mentioned that, cause its completely true. In airsoft, it's always tough to know when you get hit. Airsoft armor would be entirely for asthetics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that it is hard to tell if uve been hit, but ya I have a KJC MK1 which shoots around 525 fps with .3's using Red Gas and that most deffinatly would result in penetration from 50ft+. What worries me is flakes of fiberglass/resin shattering. Lets be careful though that this dosent turn into another airsoft/paintball debate like some other threads... But I also agree that armor + airsoft is deffinatley for asthetics....

Sorry, but the BB's will shatter the actual visor, the shape of the plastic you used doesnt break easily.
I tried this with an actual visor and it shatters it because of the size and the shape.

It's better to wear an actual BB gun mask ;)

-Fin(n)ish

Great thing to look at for. I'm might try acrylic plastic. But i think the BB's would just crack it unless you get a really thick piece.

Here's some hints if you want to play airsoft with a Halo helmet.
There are solid BBs that are normal colored and not clear. Those are the hard and original ones.
And there are the weaker ones, the clear and with a little air bubble inside.

I have tested this before. [because my uncle works in a Hobby shop.]
So, the normal ones doesn't break unlike the clear ones because it is stronger.
Here are some pictures of the two kind.
Hard :
BBs.jpg
Weak:
Clear_0_12g_BBs.jpg

Hope this helped what kind of BBs you want to shoot at your helmet!

plus, bbs arent meant to break on impact, unlike paintballs, plus there shootin at 300+ fps, and thats a big no-no in paintball.

Oh, and resin by itself will crack very easily, not crack, more like shatter, so use cloth or mat to back it up.

Okay, 2 things.
First off, would putting a coat of clear resin on the visor in any sort of way impair the vision of the wearer, and 2, how would I go about putting a paintball visor in my future Recon helmet?

uhhh you guys do know those were made for motorcycle helmets right? So they would be made so they would be able to withstand some hits. You would think they would be able to stand a rock shot up by a car in front of you.

RadioactiV777 said:
Okay, 2 things.
First off, would putting a coat of clear resin on the visor in any sort of way impair the vision of the wearer, and 2, how would I go about putting a paintball visor in my future Recon helmet?

I wouldn't put anything on your visor, chemicals applied to the visor can damage the plastic making it weaker and prone to breakage. Most that I've seen warn you about putting something pretty harmless (like window cleaner) on the visor so something potent like resin is probably asking for trouble ;)

Can't really answer the second question because I haven't researched it myself, but if it were me I'd look at building the goggle assembly from a paintball mask into the actual helmet and I'd probably have the tinted/chromed visor on the outside as well (so you'd actually have to visors)

Belakor said:
I wouldn't put anything on your visor, chemicals applied to the visor can damage the plastic making it weaker and prone to breakage. Most that I've seen warn you about putting something pretty harmless (like window cleaner) on the visor so something potent like resin is probably asking for trouble ;)

Can't really answer the second question because I haven't researched it myself, but if it were me I'd look at building the goggle assembly from a paintball mask into the actual helmet and I'd probably have the tinted/chromed visor on the outside as well (so you'd actually have to visors)

Yeah, the visor manual always clearly states that NO chemicals should be used to clean it, instead you should clean it with a soft cloth and/or rinse with lukewarm water.

Also, it's highly likely that the actual visor shape will shatter, because the area is bigger so the molecyles have more space to bend and crack.. (example, you can bend a big ruler easier then a small one).

-Fin(n)ish

heres one of my old cardboard helmets with an HJC in it. I only use it for airsoft and i have been shot in the visor too many times to count and as you can see, the only damage anywhere are the paint chips. the only thing that i notice when being shot in the visor is the extra loud pop, but there are no dents or cracks whatsoever... im not saying its 100% safe or anything, but ive never had a problem...
100_0402.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back