how do I print the skin/texture on the pepakura pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubal

and yes I am a newb, this is my first work with pepakura.

is there anyway to get pepakura (or any other program) to print the skin/texture from the game right on the pieces you cut out and glue together?

I am wanting to make a set of halo 1 marine armor, but it looks like alot of the armors detail is in the color/shading/texture rather than in the 3d model.

thanks!
=Jubal=

I'm pretty sure this thread may have an answer, but do not take that as 100% truth for I have not read the whole thread, but anyway, I hope it helps with any other questions you have as well ;).

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
I'm pretty sure this thread may have an answer, but do not take that as 100% truth for I have not read the whole thread, but anyway, I hope it helps with any other questions you have as well ;).

I had looked through the first couple of posts on that, but I hadn't taken the time to read the whole thing.

I just reread it and its great info, but doesn't look like it addresses printing out game skin/textures with pepakura

I spent some time messing around in pepakura and I did find the "Texture Configuration..." inside the "3DModelWindow" pull down menu. So I think I'm in the right area.

where can one go to get the textures from the game?

also I noticed the first post on the "Pepakura Download Database" is for marine armor, but it looks like the links are down. Does anyone have these files still?

thanks for the response!
=Jubal=

Last edited by a moderator:
Jubal said:
I had looked through the first couple of posts on that, but I hadn't taken the time to read the whole thing.

I just reread it and its great info, but doesn't look like it addresses printing out game skin/textures with pepakura

I spent some time messing around in pepakura and I did find the "Texture Configuration..." inside the "3DModelWindow" pull down menu. So I think I'm in the right area.

where can one go to get the textures from the game?

also I noticed the first post on the "Pepakura Download Database" is for marine armor, but it looks like the links are down. Does anyone have these files still?

thanks for the response!
=Jubal=
Man, if you find them let me know, lol, I do have the Master Chief .pso files (the files Pepakura uses) if you want them, which they can be found in the Using Pepakura to Make Your Mjolnir Armor thread ;) (I think that's what the thread is called, either way, it's one of the stickies above)

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
Man, if you find them let me know, lol, I do have the Master Chief .pso files (the files Pepakura uses) if you want them, which they can be found in the Using Pepakura to Make Your Mjolnir Armor thread ;) (I think that's what the thread is called, either way, it's one of the stickies above)

I already got the Master Chief files, thanks for the offer tho.

I did see that there is a marine in post #2, but it is the whole marine model, and of course no skin.

I imagine after messing with pepakura for a while I will be able to use it, but I have no idea where to get the skin for the model formated so pep can line it up.

might have to figure out how to extract the texture myself, anybody give any tips of where to start?

=Jubal=

Using the actual textures when printing out just seems like lot of wasted ink if you ask me :p Keep in mind that you'll be printing many pages when making your suit...

Nugget said:
Using the actual textures when printing out just seems like lot of wasted ink if you ask me :p Keep in mind that you'll be printing many pages when making your suit...

I was mainly just wanting to do it with halo 1 marine shin armor, the in game view and pepakura look very different.

halo1armormarinebootsnshins2.jpg

I wouldn't necessarily print it out, but the painted shadow lines on the texture represent extra layers or folds to the armor.

maybe pep isn't the program I want to do this with, I really just want to be able to manipulate the model on my computer to figure it out.

=Jubal=

Dont print it out even if you could, DONT, the skin looks clear ingame, but if you know anything about modeling, the bigger the size of the model, the mroe pixelated and crappy the skin becomes, it stretches the skin to fit, thats why the skin is made small just like the original models ingame, best way is to print, fold, resin/glass paint.

If you want to look pixelated like Mario from the 90's go ahead, but if you want to look like masterchief, then paint is the best option, and is 10 tiems cheaper than buying printer ink.

Jubal said:
I was mainly just wanting to do it with halo 1 marine shin armor, the in game view and pepakura look very different.

I wouldn't necessarily print it out, but the painted shadow lines on the texture represent extra layers or folds to the armor.

maybe pep isn't the program I want to do this with, I really just want to be able to manipulate the model on my computer to figure it out.

AoBfrost said:
... best way is to print, fold, resin/glass paint.

unless the 3d model doesn't contain all of the detail.

Papasmurf812 did a great job of the pepakura work, but I'm not looking to make armor that looks like this
med_gallery_2106_70_10007.jpg

AoBfrost said:
If you want to look pixelated like Mario from the 90's go ahead, but if you want to look like masterchief, then paint is the best option, and is 10 tiems cheaper than buying printer ink.

I am not doing the masterchief at this point, I am doing a halo 1 marine

if I wanted to print it out, which I am not even certain thats what I am going to do, then I could print it on "draft" quality and paint over it.

I really just want to see the skin stretched on the model, so I can rotate and zoom in on it, printing a small test piece would help quite a bit tho

=Jubal=

It doesnt matter what model you are using to make armor with, ANY 3d model and texture made human sized will get bigger, the 3d can expand without quality loss, but the texture will after a certain point, even if you printed marine armor fron halo 1, it will still get pixelated, and when you resin it, what will you do? Resin eats away at ink, it took off tons of ink off news papers and sunday ads.

Jubal said:

Jubal said:
if I wanted to print it out, which I am not even certain thats what I am going to do, then I could print it on "draft" quality and paint over it.

I really just want to see the skin stretched on the model, so I can rotate and zoom in on it, printing a small test piece would help quite a bit tho
AoBfrost said:
It doesnt matter what model you are using to make armor with, ANY 3d model and texture made human sized will get bigger, the 3d can expand without quality loss, but the texture will after a certain point, even if you printed marine armor fron halo 1, it will still get pixelated, and when you resin it, what will you do? Resin eats away at ink, it took off tons of ink off news papers and sunday ads.

I understand the texture if enlarged to full size will be pixilated.

I am NOT looking to just print this out and resin it.

I am not even planning on using pepakura for my final armor, I will probably use styrene or HDPE plastic to construct it.

I am looking for a program to view the skin stretched on the wire frame and to be able to zoom/rotate/etc.

does anybody have any suggestions on what program would be best for something like this?

I'm actually planning on painting it. That was kinda like a prototype. I had thrown it together for Sept 25th, hence such details as the crazy belt and sunglasses.

papamurf812 said:
I'm actually planning on painting it. That was kinda like a prototype. I had thrown it together for Sept 25th, hence such details as the crazy belt and sunglasses.

hehe its all good. your work on that has helped my project also already :)

I might suggest scaling up your armor just a touch, the helmet looks about right tho.

how tall are the halo 1 marines supposed to be anyhow?

=Jubal=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back