How much rebound 25 and smooth cast 300 do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTF4

RCO
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Stream Team
Member DIN
S054
How much rebound 25 and smooth cast 300 would I need to cast a Master Chief MK6 helmet?

While I have experience with both those materials (and will be able to help in the future), I'd struggle to estimate it off the top of my head. Dan99 casted a Mark VI helmet last year I believe and may be able to give you an idea on volume.

You'll also want to pick up a small bottle of Smooth On's Thi-vex, which is used to thicken up the outer layers of silicone. Also research what material you'll want to use for a jacket mold. If you need any resources on mold making and slush casting, just give a shout and and I'll be able to link some.

While I have experience with both those materials (and will be able to help in the future), I'd struggle to estimate it off the top of my head. Dan99 casted a Mark VI helmet last year I believe and may be able to give you an idea on volume.

You'll also want to pick up a small bottle of Smooth On's Thi-vex, which is used to thicken up the outer layers of silicone. Also research what material you'll want to use for a jacket mold. If you need any resources on mold making and slush casting, just give a shout and and I'll be able to link some.
Thanks for your help!

My plan was to use Rebound 25 for the helmet, Free Form Air for the mother mold, and smooth cast 309 for the rotocast. Only problem is that all of the stuff is $460.

I think I’ll just finish my helmet without casting for right now.

I know that it is not making it entirely yourself, but I might suggest looking at BranfuhrStudios on Etsy. He has an amazing MK VI cast (see my profile pic) and even sells vacuum formed visors that fit perfectly with it. You can get it as a raw cast and still go through all the prep and painting.

With the visor it runs $230 so might be a great way to get a cast helmet without the expense / hassle of making it yourself.

Thanks for your help!

My plan was to use Rebound 25 for the helmet, Free Form Air for the mother mold, and smooth cast 309 for the rotocast. Only problem is that all of the stuff is $460.

I think I’ll just finish my helmet without casting for right now.
Unfortunately mold making supplies are darn expensive. You can get the trial sizes of smooth cast 300 and rebound 25 which if you weren't looking at them, may be cheaper.

If you're planning to sell casts, you gotta ask yourself "Will I make enough profit?" Factoring in labour and material costs.

Unfortunately mold making supplies are darn expensive. You can get the trial sizes of smooth cast 300 and rebound 25 which if you weren't looking at them, may be cheaper.

If you're planning to sell casts, you gotta ask yourself "Will I make enough profit?" Factoring in labour and material costs.
That’s the question that I got hung up on.
For now, I’m going to finish my original like I would a cast, then list it on my Etsy store and see if I get any takers. If people are interested, then I’ll know that I can invest in the mold.

JTF4 - It looks like your print might be using the files that Rainyfire designed for the H3 MK VI helmet. If you are, please make sure you check with them to see if they are OK with you making casts before you try to sell any.

Yea. I was planning on checking with him.

I’m just getting a little ahead of myself.

About the only people that would be interested are some people that I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back