Hydrodipping turorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

John pardee

Have not seen any pictures of anybody hydrodipping their props so I figured I'd do it.

Disclaimer: this will not work with foam

What is hydrodipping : the act of placing a film with designs on it into warm water and submerging a product into it.

Step 1 -assemble all your tools

1. Sand paper
2. Hydrodip activator
3. Film of choice
3. Primer
4. Paint
5. Resperator

Step 2 -
Grab your product and start sanding it down start with 80 grit than move to 120 and up. Once that is done you can move to step 3.

Step 3- prime your product go over a couple times than grab your black spray paint and LIGHTLY dust it to have a marking point for sanding

Step 4- grab some water and spray the product with it than take your sandpaper (120+) and lightly sand until all of the back paint is gone

Step 5-add your base color

Step 6 -fill your work area with water and add the film to the surface wait 60 seconds than spray 2 passes with the activator wait 60 seconds after that and than grab your product

Step 7- if it's a deer skull like mine submerge it starting with the nose than dunking it and rotating the skull.

Dont get discouraged when the print doesnt come out right even people who have been doing it for years have bad prints after the print is on you have a minute to clear the product you can either use water or wd40 helps to.

Attachments

• 20181201_161415.jpg
    20181201_161415.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 352
  • 20181119_170301.jpg
    20181119_170301.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 339
  • 20181119_170946.jpg
    20181119_170946.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 350
  • 20181124_135028.jpg
    20181124_135028.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 301
  • 20181208_135831.jpg
    20181208_135831.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 361
Have not seen any pictures of anybody hydrodipping their props so I figured I'd do it.

Disclaimer: this will not work with foam

What is hydrodipping : the act of placing a film with designs on it into warm water and submerging a product into it.

Step 1 -assemble all your tools

1. Sand paper
2. Hydrodip activator
3. Film of choice
3. Primer
4. Paint
5. Resperator

Step 2 -
Grab your product and start sanding it down start with 80 grit than move to 120 and up. Once that is done you can move to step 3.

Step 3- prime your product go over a couple times than grab your black spray paint and LIGHTLY dust it to have a marking point for sanding

Step 4- grab some water and spray the product with it than take your sandpaper (120+) and lightly sand until all of the back paint is gone

Step 5-add your base color

Step 6 -fill your work area with water and add the film to the surface wait 60 seconds than spray 2 passes with the activator wait 60 seconds after that and than grab your product

Step 7- if it's a deer skull like mine submerge it starting with the nose than dunking it and rotating the skull.

Dont get discouraged when the print doesnt come out right even people who have been doing it for years have bad prints after the print is on you have a minute to clear the product you can either use water or wd40 helps to.
Yeeees!!! I do believe it will work with foam if you put a good coating/primer on! I made a eva foam karambit and tried to get a good Damascus pattern on it but I used the wrong paint so it didn't swirl well... I'm glad this is getting out there to more people

You can also hydro dip without using a film by just spraying spray paint on top of the water and letting it set. Make sure you dip your item at an angle and go all the way under. Shake it to get loose paint off, all other is stuck yo it, and move any paint kn the waters surface away so it foesnt ruin the product. Then pull it out and let it dry. Also, whearing gloves is handy so you dont hydro dip your hands...

Last edited:
Yeeees!!! I do believe it will work with foam if you put a good coating/primer on! I made a eva foam karambit and tried to get a good Damascus pattern on it but I used the wrong paint so it didn't swirl well... I'm glad this is getting out there to more people

You can also hydro dip without using a film by just spraying spray paint on top of the water and letting it set. Make sure you dip your item at an angle and go all the way under. Shake it to get loose paint off, all other is stuck yo it, and move any paint kn the waters surface away so it foesnt ruin the product. Then pull it out and let it dry. Also, whearing gloves is handy so you dont hydro dip your hands...

Yeh I know about the spray paint but I think it looks kinda trashy in my opinion. And you dint have to shake it to get paint off of it I wait 30 seconds than spray her down with a hose

Hiiii oracle! glad you posted this up for everyone. good stuff to know. Thanks bud

Could you link to somewhere one might buy these films and activators?

Also does it matter what kind of spray paint... acrylic, enamel, gloss, no gloss?

Could you link to somewhere one might buy these films and activators?

Also does it matter what kind of spray paint... acrylic, enamel, gloss, no gloss?

I use amazon and it should not matter what paint although in my opinion I hate spray painted dips looks trashy

#4 of your tool list says paint. Could you specify what kind of paint.

#3 says film of choice. Could you provide a link to a product so we can see an example what the product looks like on a web store?

damascus would be epic, i haven't really seen someone pull off a hydro damascus on the cheap with just paint. i'd love to do up a magnum in damascus with wood grain

damascus would be epic, i haven't really seen someone pull off a hydro damascus on the cheap with just paint. i'd love to do up a magnum in damascus with wood grain
That's the whole reason I wanted to do it! I may try again soon, but the magnum idea sounds amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back