I May Be The Epitome Of Noob-status

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelSDK

Because I have no idea where to even begin doing anything like the amazing armors/weapons I've seen so far.

Any advice on how to get started? Has anyone completely finished a suit (and possibly a gun) and can give me a price estimate?

I have been trying to steer clear of being a mini-mod, but this is too much.

Read the stickies. They are not difficult to find. If you cant find them, use the search function.

Tater Mane said:

Read the stickies. They are not difficult to find. If you cant find them, use the search function.

You should stop being a mini-mod. Because I'm not stupid, I found the stickies. I'm asking for advice on where to start and cost estimates.

I want to know what methods people have found to be the easiest. What material seems to be easiest to work with/looks best. How much I can expect to invest in a full suit. I don't want to be told HOW to do it, I'm not ignorant. I want experienced people's advice based on their projects.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest looking around and reading other people's build threads. You can find these in the search function.

Everyone who posts a WIP thread does an awesome job of explaining the process they took, costs, drawbacks etc.

Then, once you get an idea of the order things go in, you can research independently with the stickies.

The first EZINE is also really good as a reference point.

Tater Mane said:

He was asking a few valid questions, sure he could of asked in the Q&A thread, but he had questions.
You know new people could get bad first impressions from a response like that.

Mods sorry if this is considered flaming, just had to say what I thought. Sorry to act like this. -->

Well depending on the quality suit you hope to make will determine the cost. You're likely to be spending more money on supplies and tools for a high def project. If I were you, I'd start out using the low def armor pep files. Go from the resin, to fiberglassing, to bondo, etc, the basic armor construction things. And once you get comfortable with the process of armor making move on to more advance things like higher def works and such. Hope that helps. As for actually starting the armor (this being your first suit if I'm correct?), starting out with whatever piece looks easiest or whatever. Hope this helps. :)

MichaelSDK said:
Because I have no idea where to even begin doing anything like the amazing armors/weapons I've seen so far.

Any advice on how to get started? Has anyone completely finished a suit (and possibly a gun) and can give me a price estimate?

/sigh

Check the stickies in the Noob Forums. MANY people have completely finished suits. All the way from Pepakura (paper based) to actual metalic based suits. Guns have also been done. Theres no real price estimate per say because it really depends on what you wanna make and how. But personally, my helmet has cost me about 50 alone and its PEP based. Check the threads, use the search function and check around for Q&A Members who can help you a lot better.

Well, from what the other members have said, there are many projects done, some that are exceptionally well in the Elite Section. For price estimates, you cannot actually dicusss actual price in threads like these, only in PM, unless you want the forums shut down. All the things you are asking for can be found in the pepakura and cardboard section, which gives a lot stickies and tutorials.

If there is anything else, don't be shy with the Q&A Team, they are there to help.

each section varies on your effort and buget. If you want a pep one with vary little anything done to it it could cost you100 if you put a super amount of effeort and time your full suit can cost in the ranges of 20-1000$ depending on what your price range is and knowlege. I have a few pep helmets non fiberglasses or anything done to them and that cost me only 30$ for paper and glue. So as I said it's al about how much you put into it.

My suit is only in planning stages and will cost a hell of alot when it is completely finnished and it'll take a he'll of a lot of time aswell but eh.

Regards
Fluffy

MichaelSDK said:
You should stop being a mini-mod. Because I'm not stupid, I found the stickies. I'm asking for advice on where to start and cost estimates.

I want to know what methods people have found to be the easiest. What material seems to be easiest to work with/looks best. How much I can expect to invest in a full suit. I don't want to be told HOW to do it, I'm not ignorant. I want experienced people's advice based on their projects.
If you read all the stickies, Then you wouldn't be asking this question at all.

The stickies alone include ALL the information needed to get started.

i am really a noob at this, first thing i must sy is do not commit loads of money to your first few projects unless you are willing to make a loss. what i am doing is making an assault rifle with a limit of £5, thats a very small budjet but from that i will get the experience i need. if it does fail i have not lost a lot.

first thing i would do, dont use those fold out designs unless you are completely unsure of how to build, to fold those things you need to be patient and pay a lot of attention. i started out by going on halo 3 and saving a pic of an assault rifle and then going to bungie.net and printing the pic off but at a much larger scale so that it was about 30" plus. then use cardboard to cut out the shape and do this a few times to get the thickness you want. then try modeling a frame using the rest of the card board, then gets some foam board and build up the main structure, and sooner or later you will have a good looking gun.

or you could start in a different direction, how about armor, the chiefs gloves are easy to make, again using cardboard and foam board, with the foam board you can cut out the circles and them file down the excess. attach it to a glove, black rubber would be best for the effect, and bit of paint, a bit of varnish and your done. remember if you make a mould if you break it you can make a new one, latex takes a long time to make but is much cheaper than using silicon which is considerable more expensive.

as i said, for your first few goes, try and be as cheap as possible, you never know, if you make a good job of it some people offer to buy pieces on this site. if you want loads of easy starting ideas ask me and i will be happy to help, i can also offer you a latex mould for an assault rifle i am currently making, let me know

MichaelSDK said:

bro no need to bite the guys head off. hes trying to help and we do not know your background on this stuff :cautious:

Not only that, but nowhere in your first post in this thread:

MichaelSDK said:

Did you say anything about having found the stickies already, or knowing how to do the whole process. If anything, your query was actually rather vague, to be perfectly honest. The only thing you clearly mentioned was pricing. As such, how could you expect anyone to clearly know what you were asking about exactly?

That's another friendly bit of advice to be shared here: when posting a question about this sort of thing, please be clear in what you're saying, so that there are no misunderstandings. It happens a lot as it is, and so making sure to be clear and concise in one's communication goes a long way.

You have to understand, the more veteran members here get similar questions to that all the time, often by people who hasn't even taken any time to browse around and read the forums/stickies. Most people just post such questions because they think it's easier to get the information that way. He had no way of knowing you'd already done some "homework" on this.

Given all that, like Link said, there's no need to go biting his head off. As for what you clarified on what you wanted to know, seems most everyone else who's replied here has managed to adequately answer that. Good luck on your first armour build, dude :cool:

MichaelSDK said:

Hmmm...

MichaelSDK said:
Really? Because if you had actually read the stickies and read around the site, you would have been able to find the answers to all of your questions.

Of course, I probably could have worded my response to be a little less "snippy", but with the amount of information (or lack thereof ) you gave us, it seemed that you knew nothing about the process, and were just asking for someone to come right out and explain the whole process to you.

You guys all need to calm down, This is the "NOOB SECTION" for a reason. If you don't like how basic the individual's knowledge is and are uncapable of making a helpful and sincire response, then I suggest you leave the Noob Section as it isn't for you.

Espcially you Tarter, just leave the thread as this dosn't seem to suit you, Noobs come and go and we are here to help them, not bash them and make them feel like idiots. Due to the temporary open registration we had, there is going to be a lot of post's that look just like this one. You'll just have to get use to it.

And leave the Moderating to the Moderators :/.

-Doom

yeah, stop the flaming, both noob and tater, you are both wrong. how's that? The registration just closed, so you guys will have some time to learn and watch how it gets done.

nobody can tell you how to do your suit, but we have stickies that are good starts.

MichaelSDK said:

okay, so pricing should be around $100 for a full suit (fiberglass style) but if you were to paper mache it it would be like $30-$60 because fiberglass can be pricy. USE CARDSTOCK FOR PEP PURPOSES, PAPER WILL RESULT IN A WEAK BASE AND WILL ABSORB FIBERGLASS RESIN AND WATER/FLOUR MIX FOR MACHE

Depending on the level you are willing to achieve here is a ruff break down just to get you started..

Safety gear:

Respirator $25 to $30 (Required when doing your resin get one that is rated for vapors)
Box of Latex Gloves: $20.00 (Optional but I recommend)
Box of Dust Masks: $20.00 (For sanding the bondo, you could use your respirator but make sure the one you buy is rated for sanding and vapor)

Material for just the Helmet:

Cardstock: $12.00 (Required)
Glue: $2.00 (Required)
Resin x2: $20.00 (Required and you will probably go through two pint containers)
Fiberglass Mat: $5.00 (Required)
Bondo: $10.00 (Required)

Tools for build:

Xacto Razor knife
w/extra blades: $10.00 (Optional but recommended)
Cutting Mat: $10.00 (Optional but recommended if purchase of razor knife)
Scissors: $3.00 (Required)
Bondo spreader: $3.00 (Required but you can find something for free to do the same job)

I am sure there is something I missed, will edit if I remember.

Also the cost will go much higher if your decide to mold your creation.

So if you start to add stuff up if you are starting from scratch you will end up with a somewhat hefty investment up front. So if your willing to drop almost 100 bucks for the helm then jump in feet first. If your not then go with the cardboard method. If you have access to all the tools and safety stuff your investment will be ruffly half that investment.

I hope this helps.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back