I Realized the Strangest thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomboy

I realized the strangest thing yesterday: It was the first time I had ever driven the roads in my hometown.

Recovery from the accident has been taking much longer than initially expected, but I have finally been weaned off the heavy narcotics. I still have a while before I'm done with pills altogether, but I'm at a point where I'm allowed to drive and be mobile once again.

I have been taking advantage of this, but yesterday, driving back from a Bondo run, I realized that it was the first time I had ever driven those roads. Roads that I used to bike or walk everyday to school, to friends, to the book store, to the Navy Recruiters office, to my first job! But I had never driven them.

It's a strange side effect of not getting my drivers license until I was 20. I learned how to drive in the Navy from 5 different friends in 4 different cars with most of my "practice" involving driving very carefully at 2am to get drunk friends home, with the least drunk person in the passenger seat pretending to be sober. Definitely not the usual experience one has when learning how to drive, but it's mine, and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back