"I wish I knew" Tips When Starting to 3d Print

Calibrate. Speaking mostly to FDM printers here, but the principles are universal.

Molten (well, not technically molten) plastic is going to do what it's going to do. Once it leaves your nozzle, physics (particularly thermodynamics) and chemistry take over and it's out of your hands. However, there's plenty you can do before that point to drastically and consistently give your printer a fighting chance, and calibrating/tuning your machine is one of them.

Not only does proper calibration increase your chances of successful, accurate, and clean prints, they also keep you safe and help mitigate the fire risk that comes with having exposed heating elements.

Here are a couple of resources that have been helpful to me:
I know that now we have more full-featured, hyper-fast printers that come with multi-material systems and automated bells and whistles (they're even competitively priced), but if you're like me and you're still running on the "older" models where automatic bed tramming was a new thing (my first printer, the Ender 3V2, didn't even have that out of the box), proper maintenance and calibration will keep your dysfunctional desk droids performing well. No, it won't be winning any races against the X1C, but you'll have a reliable workhorse.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back