I'm editing the title because I Cringe at the old title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been trying to make a he at infantry mandalorian suit from sintra.

Sintra is a nightmare. It doesn't cut very well, gluing it is nigh-on impossible, it doesn't do compound curves very well.

I've attempted 3 chest pieces so far, and all 3 have failed.

This is a combination rant/asking for help. I'm extremely frustrated right now.

I'm sorry to hear this, man. I myself have never worked with sintra, so I can't help you there, but I've been frustrated at lotsa stuff! Heck, anymore I get frustrated at inanimate objects sometimes!

Just stick it out and keep at it. It sounds too me like you may need to change mediums if this pattern continues.

I'm sorry to hear this, man. I myself have never worked with sintra, so I can't help you there, but I've been frustrated at lotsa stuff! Heck, anymore I get frustrated at inanimate objects sometimes!

Just stick it out and keep at it. It sounds too me like you may need to change mediums if this pattern continues.
Thanks. It's not even me looking for mercs approval. (Would be cool, but no big deal if it doesn't happen. Hell, probably not even gonna apply) but I do want something that's a bit beefier and more durable than Eva foam.

Gotcha.

I may not be able to help with the sintra, but you have my thoughts and prayers! And the mercs could be pretty cool, too.

After working with Sintras, ABS, and Styrene for over 18 years, this is the first I have ever heard of it described as impossible to cut or glue. It can be hard to get complex curves with Plastics, without vacuum forming the material, but Sintra is just like Foam in that it should cut perfectly easy with a Fresh, clean blade. In fact, unlike Foam you should be able to easily just score and snap the plastic, that is only cut partially through the material and then bend it along the cut to snap off the rest of the material.

As for glue, in my 18 years working with plastics I have found plenty of easy success with any sort of Superglue, especially Cyanoacrylates, epoxies, and name brands like E6000 and Shoe Goo.

After working with Sintras, ABS, and Styrene for over 18 years, this is the first I have ever heard of it described as impossible to cut or glue. It can be hard to get complex curves with Plastics, without vacuum forming the material, but Sintra is just like Foam in that it should cut perfectly easy with a Fresh, clean blade. In fact, unlike Foam you should be able to easily just score and snap the plastic, that is only cut partially through the material and then bend it along the cut to snap off the rest of the material.

As for glue, in my 18 years working with plastics I have found plenty of easy success with any sort of Superglue, especially Cyanoacrylates, epoxies, and name brands like E6000 and Shoe Goo.
I tried the scoring method, but it just breaks off parts I didn't want to break. Maybe it's just me being a noob with the material. But it's extremely frustrating. For me, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back