I'm New, Heres What I've Been Working On...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeartlessTrav

So I just missed registration cut off so when I decided to give this a go I had to search many threads for answers to the questions I had. Now that I was able to register I thought I would show off what I have accomplished and maybe post a couple questions I still had. Soooo here we go.

The first thing I tried to build to see if I had the patience was a low quality Mark VI helm that I didn't resize, figuring some stuff would be really small and frustrating and I didn't want to burn myself out before I got into it.

Hers a size reference pic next to a dirt bike helmet. This helm was never resined, just pepped. Also, a cat.
l_9f651cbb4507455b83fb88903d874296.jpg

Next for something to try resining was a low quality Mark VI right forearm. Got 2 coats of resin with a sanding between, and a coat of paint.
l_b5a19db3323443d0951bd997d3670e6a.jpg

I also made a HQ Mark VI shoulder, but no pics. Resin made one of the supports come off and the whole thing is kinda twisted now.

Finally, my baby. ODST Weta Landfall version helm via 405th.com

I've put 3 coats of resin on the outside, with a coat of primer and a sanding between each. Inside I've put 1 layer of fiberglass, but it needs to be cleaned up a bit. First Resining.
l_bfcb8f2233214211a752d670d0266ca4.jpg

Where I'm at now: Waiting to sand latest coat of primer, but it's been raining in sunny southern California.
l_e4c5b30b279f441ca6c0eb9eefaee84a.jpg

l_029eb9305452480cab534ab7106f6354.jpg

and here you can see what I mean by the inside fiberglass needing to be cleaned up.
l_4e002ec9f1d44a229407500f96600ca3.jpg

All work has been done using hot glue to make the pep model on 110 cardstock. Visor isnt fiberglassed because I'm planning to cut it out anyway. Also any ideas on how to do the visor?

Thanks to Sigma, Skullcandy Girl, Fizzlefry and the rest of the 405th staff for making all the useful tutorials and guides.

Sorry for the quality of the pics, they are linked from myspace and it makes them look terrible.

Looks good. For a visor you can get a motorcycle visor "face shield", they come in gold as well as a rainbow of other colors. If you want to go fancy you can get 2 visors and cut out 1 to make it a multilayered visor...
instructions:
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...21&hl=visor

What they don't always tell you is that sometimes the face shield curving isn't exactly right for your helmet. Normally use a pot of very hot water, let it soak, it should become somewhat flexible (just be careful as you could burn yourself on the hot visor or you could crease it if you get impatient). Common practice on Storm Trooper helms and Bounty hunter masks.

Sir Blood said:
Looks good. For a visor you can get a motorcycle visor "face shield", they come in gold as well as a rainbow of other colors. If you want to go fancy you can get 2 visors and cut out 1 to make it a multilayered visor...
instructions:

What they don't always tell you is that sometimes the face shield curving isn't exactly right for your helmet. Normally use a pot of very hot water, let it soak, it should become somewhat flexible (just be careful as you could burn yourself on the hot visor or you could crease it if you get impatient). Common practice on Storm Trooper helms and Bounty hunter masks.
not for ODST you cant. The odsts visor is too rounded. vac-forming is the only way i know of to make a odst visor. im sure you can make a vac-form machine or someone who can make you a visor.

edit forgot to say how B.A. your helmet is looking, keep it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir Blood said:
instructions:

i was thinking of trying the hot pot of water but wasnt sure of it working on a motorcycle visor so i was just wondering if anyone had an idea of anything else. i will probably just try that though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did quite a bit of searching on the internet for suggested methods for bending motorcycle visors, as they are essentially large, thick curved sunglasses... While there are many that are heat treated...

IF its made out of Lexan (Polycarbonate) it can be boiled and bent
ps: many motorcycle face shields are made out of Lexan if you do internet searches

nice job so far!
I'm in southern cali as well, weather is pretty crappy right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back