Improving Halo: my ideas that sound good to me atleast

Status
Not open for further replies.

J326

Ok so us halo lovers probably heard the Halo CE remake so I have a rant I feel should get out there.
I seriously don't like the idea of a remake of a game that should stay as it was. its like dressing up a grandma from a past generation in the trendy outfits for modern day teenage girls. its not right.
as for sequel games to Halo 3
I would only personally support a new Halo game only if they completely revamp the combat, honestly the story is good but its generic so they can feed us whatever story line as long as it's interesting because we've seen everything whether in halo or in other games "genetically engineered super soldiers" (not a new concept), race of pre-humans with advance technology (again not new). they could even make us stop fighting covenant and actually fight rebels that during the conflict pinched tech that lets them make spartans 3s as well and since they have spartans and tech gained from shadowy behind the scenes trading they want to openly take the chance to start a fight/war with a now drained unsc.

but what i want to see is an overhaul and i mean an actual COMBAT EVOLVED evolution of the gameplay. I know i'll take some troll flames for this but they need to look at the recent Call of Duty games lately and look at the elements that made them good cuz i now play the CDBO multi more then Halo. Halo was revolutionary because it was the first game to do FPS on a console with multiplayer correctly but now it has competition and it hasn't evolved its formula as much as i had hoped. (if you are a complete and utter halo fanboy who thinks this game can do no wrong then you may leave this thread, otherwise read on and you may see i make some good points and you can contribute ideas)

here's a list of what i would love to see in Halo, yes it is lengthy but I pray people read it through and by some will of god it gets in the hand of some halo game developer and they USE it. (maybe share credit :cool )

1) Complete customization of load outs for weapons with a VARIETY of weapons,
why? first if im a spartan going on a mission I don't want to choose preselected weapon packs, I want to CHOOSE what weapons I take with me.

2)Weapon variety because its freakin 500 years in the future and the guns feel more outdated then they do now. Im sure there's still industry competing and developing other versions of guns so Why is there only ONE assault rifle and how come it does not come with a grenade launcher attachment, or any other variety of attachment types. (yes im aware there are the Assault rifle "variants" in the story but honestly im talking about the actual functionality of them and not the way they look) make an AR varieties that fire faster but less dmg or guns that hits harder but recoil is higher SOMETHING NOTICEABLE besides the LOOK. semi auto, full auto, single shot machine guns. consecutive firing shotguns exist too! 500 years of weapon development doesn't mean we should go BACKWARDS compared to our modern day.

2) concussion/flash bangs or some kind of selectable grenade variety. (yes i know some trolls will flame that "but their visors would immediately react and polarize to shield them from high intensity light" , well i say how do you explain the flare thing in halo 3! HA!)
3) remote bombs? how about a mine or remote charge that locks an enemies armor for a limited amount of time could be wide spread or could be one target only. or an emp mine, its the future. stuff gets developed.

4) unlocking different guns in multi (bayonet gun attachment that can kill at close range?). we like feeling rewarded and we like that our rewards actually do something practical rather then just be pretty. this would make the lasting power of the game a lot longer.

5) unlocking armor parts that provide some small perks. of course we are limited in how many we attache.an armor attachment that makes motion tracking faster. see heat signature through a wall. or don't show up on motion trackers as fast.Before you die you activate the fusion pack to detonate on a timer so you might actually kill something after you die. ability to dive and slide and shoot (some premise that the shield field can be made wider like how it is kept 1mm on the hands and boots to allow friction, so making them higher would make the boots slippery, its in the books, so why not apply this concept and allow the spartan to slide like in action flicks) small things that aren't completely game breaking.They can keep unlocking armor skins but I want something besides trying to be the prettiest.

4) ability to aim down the sights or some other new revolutionary way that doesn't mean the best way to kill some one with our default machine gun weapons is to learn shooting around their head while strafing sideways. I'm mixed about this because its not as conventional as other games so it can stay or alternatively be replaced by something more practical cuz the spartans were trained to aim down the sights BEFORE they got their HUD interface with the weapon reticule so im sure they instinctively aim down the sights. (does it ever strike some people odd that the these guns don't have iron or laser or dot sights when they were first built for normal soldiers?)

5) a balanced grenade system. spawning with 2 grenades...really? too many games have too many grenade chuckers and its not about skill anymore, just a team tossing enough grenades to equal a full barrage.

6) change some armor abilities a bit. Sprint and leaping should be an innate ability of the spartan not an ability we can select because Spartans don't remember how to run faster or dive while in their armor
suicide bomber? (activate fusion pack and run at some people and go boom)
Im sure we all thought of some cool armor abilities or tweaks on the current ones that would make better sense (ie: Armor lock should emp you as well if you make it last a long duration)

7) I love the kill streak reward idea in COD and it would make sense to have something similar in Halo. doesn't need to be a blatant copy but again ppl love the reward system. Kill a certain amount of times,pelican weapon drop pods. anti air/vehicle ordinance drops. air strikes/carpet bombing/mortar. or you get a rocket launcher spawn or the pelican weapon pods can generate RANDOM weapon types. how about a reward that drops in some ODST NPCS that provide cover fire or can actually hurt/kill. or a perk that allows you to personally be dropped on any part of the map by drop pod. (don't chime in with the but how did they get back on the ship to drop. well I say how do you explain them respawning?). or special drops of ammo types for your team or for you, incidiary ammo, better armor piercing ammo, some futuristic type of ammo that might be possible but doesnt exist yet but would 500 years from now?

8) map and match type alteration: how about an option to play a map with extremely low visibility and night vision works but it only lasts a limited duration. think of the applications,could keep the motion tracker on or off so you know they're there but cant aim too properly, infection would be awesome!
9)option to play hardcore shields off like swat but still health matters and not a head shot mania like swat.

10)ability to do Super trained type stuff. again this goes to the how come Spartans forget how to do things they seemed to have been trained to do when they don their armor. could create these things as a new perk types and call them "Spartan Instincts" - ability to change your clip as you fire the last round but before the gun has time to register empty a new mag is already in so you can have a continuous rate of fire. (its a skill that is real, doesn't need to apply to every gun). detect trap mines early. or the ability to have a quick time button to make your spartan leap away before the detonation of a grenade/mine/trap since these have some delay before they detonate. or ability to simply pick up toss back or kick a grenade near them out of the way before it detonates. doesn't work for stickies but no excuse on frag.ability to climb stuff. Up a tree or pole for better sniping position (also create a forest map, or a city map).
-- The story makes spartans have a 6th sense for combat and I'm not feeling it in the games. if you read the books then you know that the spartans in the books/comics seem cooler than what we play.

This is all I could come up with at the moment. I might add too it later on. Thanks to any of you that read the entire list and through the rant. (put me on the halo idea team at microsoft muahaha!) It all boils down to I want variety in the game that is beyond only just adding a few new guns that do pretty much the same thing as the ones they replaced and some armor abilities. I want to feel like an actual spartan. I realize some of the ideas may seem OP or hard to balance but where there is a will there is a way. some ideas i suggested came from COD and if Halo copied it im sure there would be some heat but first of all imitation is the highest form of flattery, second if a game element is loved by a lot of people then put it in the game. if they don't want to simply copy then take the idea and go even further with it. seriously odst squad drop pods would be neat whether its npcs or you dropping in. third i believe the elements that seem localized to COD are never that original, most likely taken from another source but refined (press A to climb over wall or window).

Some of it like the mines and perks seem like it could ruin it. If they get abused in call of duty, they will definately be abused in halo, halo having a higher percentage of squeakers. Though i do agree with some of it, not weapon upgrades, its supposed to be fair, but definatley different types of movements. I dont like how they akwardly walk around in the same pose, even when jumping. They could change the movement, and i kinda like the fail-dive in Cod Black Ops, maybe they should have done something like that, except maybe a slide instead of an armor smashing faceplant. On to the armor, maybe instead of just going from shield right into your health, (the armor is freekin' titanium) it could have another bar, for the shield that needs some other kind of health pack to go up, or even add some kind of weapon for the medic, maybe a "biofoam injector/armor weldin" thingy. The only other thing i can think of is maybe more customization with the colors, maybe even asymetrical for the shoulders, (like noble team does), or changing the emblems location and size.

BTW none of the guns have sights because of the HUD, which even marines have access to.

I feel a game should be combined, this game would be made of ideas, the servers and so on from:
Halo
Call of Duty
Farcry (i love farcrys map editor more than halos :/ sorry bungie but i thought you would beat them, you let me down)

Halo has amazing graphics, designs, gameplay so on, if you get out the map you realize how big the map actually is, its a jaw dropper (I'm talking any map)
Call of Duty is one the of the best games playable online, but lacks graphics which most people want today, and its a number one seller.
Farcry (2), its story line is the bomb, graphics where amazing when it came out, and its map editor, its beyond belief, you literally create your own map, the land, building placement, objects and scenery, unluckily, it has no weapon placement in map, but online, you can use your own map, choose the time of day height of water storm factor... and you have a special weapon selection where the more kills you get or flags captured (diamonds in this case) the more diamonds you get unlocking new and better weapons (but for that game only)
if you have some cash and want a good game that is quite unheard of but amazing i would defiantly suggest far cry 2, picked ,my copy up for £10

Some of it like the mines and perks seem like it could ruin it. If they get abused in call of duty, they will definately be abused in halo, halo having a higher percentage of squeakers. Though i do agree with some of it, not weapon upgrades, its supposed to be fair, but definatley different types of movements. I dont like how they akwardly walk around in the same pose, even when jumping. They could change the movement, and i kinda like the fail-dive in Cod Black Ops, maybe they should have done something like that, except maybe a slide instead of an armor smashing faceplant. On to the armor, maybe instead of just going from shield right into your health, (the armor is freekin' titanium) it could have another bar, for the shield that needs some other kind of health pack to go up, or even add some kind of weapon for the medic, maybe a "biofoam injector/armor weldin" thingy. The only other thing i can think of is maybe more customization with the colors, maybe even asymetrical for the shoulders, (like noble team does), or changing the emblems location and size.

BTW none of the guns have sights because of the HUD, which even marines have access to.

well the mines and perks are ideas but anything gets abused in every game, the key is to work to find some measure of balance which beta testing helps. the weapon upgrades i still want considering the whole 500 years in future and they forgot they can attach things?

Actually you can notice rails, and things like flashlights and lasers, or pieces each have in common, like how the sniper and laser designator use the same stock. If you want attachments look at the magnum variants. Also, the assault rifle can use a grenade launcher, and it can fire flashbangs.

Halo is fine the way it is, just like CoD is fine the way it is. I don't want the two combined. Your ideas sound like you want Halo to play like CoD. I'm being honest because I really like Halo and would defend it in a fight any day. However, I wish that Bungie would take a few more ideas from the community about how it plays though, here I like how you think.;)

Halo is fine the way it is, just like CoD is fine the way it is. I don't want the two combined. Your ideas sound like you want Halo to play like CoD. I'm being honest because I really like Halo and would defend it in a fight any day. However, I wish that Bungie would take a few more ideas from the community about how it plays though, here I like how you think.;)

well Halo doesnt need to play like COD but honestly there's a reason why people feel Halo is starting to feel bland. although we aren't a majority population but my friends and I play COD more then Halo cuz halo doesn't offer as much any more. I was trying to defend playing more Halo in my head but COD just seems to win out. there's plenty of material in the halo universe to develop on but they haven't tried. seriously who doesnt think calling in drop pods of random weapons or ODSTs during a fight wouldn't be awesome? if you look at gamespot data COD black ops has won out as most hours spent played online even though halo holds more people playing online. even modern warfare is following closely.

1) Complete customization of load outs for weapons with a VARIETY of weapons,
Agree & disagree with you. Yea, I get you want choice, but sometimes gameplay has to be fair, so thus the predefined weapons. In Reach you get to choose different loadouts during invasion, which I think is fair enough.

2) Weapon variety
Humans are AT WAR WITH THE COVENANT. We don't have time for capitalism competition. One company building one type of weapon is good enough.

2) concussion/flash bangs/remote bombs
Halo Reach has a concussion rifle & grenade launcher. 'nuff said.

4) unlocking different guns in multi
Just because you've played the game for a longer period of time you should have a more powerful weapon than another player? I don't think so. All in the name of fair gameplay.

5) a balanced grenade system. spawning with 2 grenades...really?
Some gametypes only give you 1 grenade. Using your current logic, "they're spartans, they can carry more gear."

6) change some armor abilities a bit.
Armor lock does EMP you if you make it last longer. Anything explosive on the spartan wouldn't be easily accessible (read: inside the spartan, not the weapons). So taking the time to make that explode, you'd pretty much be dead anyways. Flinging your body doesn't count as being a suicide bomber.

7) I love the kill streak reward
Eh... no. Let COD be COD.

8) map and match type alteration: how about an option to play a map with extremely low visibility and night vision works but it only lasts a limited duration.
Sound interesting, probably your best suggestion :p

Like someone mentioned earlier, sounds like you want COD to be like futuristic halo, and halo to have features like COD. I think the two games are good separate, but not so good together. Interesting suggestions, none the less, but I'm just providing constructive criticism :)

;)
Ok so us halo lovers probably heard the Halo CE remake so I have a rant I feel should get out there.
I seriously don't like the idea of a remake of a game that should stay as it was. its like dressing up a grandma from a past generation in the trendy outfits for modern day teenage girls. its not right.

I agree that CE should stay the way it is. As far as Grandma. You meen that i can' wear a hoddie and let my pants hang down to my knees. ROTFL (just joking wth you.)

The ONLY thing that I would want improved, is the amount of soldiers that can be placed on the battle field at one time. Halo is supposed to be two HUGE armies battling it out, but in my opinion, I haven't felt that experience, yet.

In Halo: CE, I sort of felt that experience in the beach landing.

In Halo 2. Nothing.

In Halo 3, The two scarab attacks.

Halo Wars: ALL of the time, but not in FPS form :(.

Halo Reach: only in the cutscene with the mass vehicle charge.

As much as I love Halo, you basically play as a commando, not a soldier on the front lines.

-Pony

Only 24 AI's can be loaded at any one time in Halo: Reach. The cutscene charge doesnt count. but 24 AI's completely detailed, working paths, and random behavior. Is GROUNDBREAKING. The entire Halo gaming engine was reworked for that. And not many games even come close to that.

Only 24 AI's can be loaded at any one time in Halo: Reach. The cutscene charge doesnt count. but 24 AI's completely detailed, working paths, and random behavior. Is GROUNDBREAKING. The entire Halo gaming engine was reworked for that. And not many games even come close to that.

*hack* GTA 4 *hack*.

right...well incase you didn't notice the AI's in reach were crap since we all agreed that our spartan partners during campaign were only useful as walking cover stands.

and on a point earlier i don't mean the gun varieties to be unlocking a gun variant that is leaps and bounds over another i meant unlocking AR variants that have different stats such as fire rate, damage but at the cost of recoil etc etc. the variants would have something good and bad to balance.

and there are SO other places developing weapons because i bring up the evidence that when we read the descriptions about some armor pieces they reference different companies or facilities. im sure these facilities were developing guns too since we did end up with the battle rifle, and im sure there were other variations of the battle rifle in development. even the AR rifles had variations (look up guns in halopedia) i just wished we could of selected/unlocked the variations and the variations actually had differences besides the look and sound.

There is some fun things to put on the guns, some attachments might be a cool change, like grips, flashlights, the MA5's nade launcher, the shotgun's concept thing with the extended tube and barrel, and definately a lot of things on the magnum, maybe different scopes on the sniper, maybe a plasma bayonet on the focus rifle, make it useful for somethin.

as cool as all this stuff is, micromanaging every single detail of this game and you start loosing track of the fact that halo is simplicity incarnate. its linear and its beautiful because of it. when you move into this completely new and complicated territory you move away from the fact that i have never in my life ever taken cover in a halo game. its straightforward and thats how it sells the way it does. plus i dont want six cd's when I'm trying to play the game options that your suggesting they include.

I'm sure it's been posted here but it seems most of your complaints are taking halo in a more Call of Duty direction, almost like you really want just "Call of Duty in space". I grant you, having some weapon variation would be nice, but when you look at call of duty, you've got several factions going at it, militaries form two different countries and civilian and independant units. 4 groups, with 4 different types of weapons...Halo only has 2 different groups, the human military (which, like ours, has standardized weapons) and the covenant military (which also has standardized weapons.) there are some cases where it could be added, like in reach when you're helping the militia, they could have had "civilian" or "outside contractor" equipment, but overal halo is like playing the ranger mission in modern warfare 2, its one big army vs another big army, and you'll only encounter so many weapons in that side of the campaign: the russian ones, and the human ones. Plus, as everyone keeps saying (and any call of duty player knows) noob tubing has become infamous online for its abused usage. Some other attachments might be nice, but again, most of them are covered by the spartans armor naturally, like the heartbeat sensor (only the spartan radar is better), marathon works like sprint, and if you look at a spartan's walk animation they're always aiming down the sight as it were (or as close as can be without iron sights, something I grant you should be added logically to a military rifle) from a 3rd person persepctive, though having you be able to scope even on weapons without a scope would be nice, since the current method u zoom and lose all your hud...that could easily be replaced with an ADS animation. You can set your loadouts for multiplayer from the custom game section, but as to matchmaking, a lot of the time those loadouts are game specific, like having a match where you can only use machine pistols in COD. What WOULD be nice is adding other combat options, like CQC, or having the armor purmutations affect gameplay (a medpack on your thigh and your health still doesnt regenerate? wtf?). If wearing the UA attachments actually increased damage resistence, or having a HUL could allow you to ignore the radar jammer ability. that would be useful and fitting wtih Halo's combat style. I do however like your "Change the environment" gameplay idea, playing at night or in rain, as thats something even COD doesn't do (by that I mean, have a map that depending on gametype etc will be sunny, night time, rainy, windy etc and have that affect gameplay, since the COD maps with environmental affects are ALWAYS like that...its no surprise what you'll be fighting in when you spawn in) or even crazier, have the environment deform and change as you play...so a rainstorm might start up, or all those tank shots your fireing are making extra cover for the enemy in the form of craters in the map. while I realize thats a heavy toll on memory usage, with the new "impostering": thing bungie has it should totally be possible. Finally, going along with the armor purmutations affecting gameplay, THERES somewhere you could implemant weapon varience, with stuff like rapid fire or silencers from COD, have attachments that will help you gameplay wise, if only minutely. As to your "we have auto shotguns why do halo's suck" question, you'll notice the spas-12 is one of the most commonly used shotguns in COD, and it fires pump action (even tho the real spas-12 is selective fire manual/semi-auto). That was a clear gameplay balancing choice. Logically you'd want a shotgun with longer range, but from a multiplayer standpoint, halo is more about commiting to a kill than COD, where one shotgun blast can kill someone from far away, and shots are a game of "how fast can you ads to shoot him". Halo is about "ha im shooting you i'm STILL shooting you and EVEN THEN with all that time i still killed you ha!". So to balance the durabliity of a spartan in multiplayer with the killing power of a shotgun they made it like the sword, very powerful but VERY shortranged. Not logical from a RL stand point no but were talking about a game with cyborg super soldiers and split lipped aliens who stand 8 feet tall...reality takes a backseat to science fiction XD Overall, I think bungie's current multiplayer isn't supposed to be like COD, so trying to make it more like COD would detract from the game. that said, i think implmenting environment changes like you suggested, as well as making armor affect gameplay, you could seriously change the game and yet still keep it balance to some extent while still giving players something to strive for (I for one have no reason to buy any new armor pieces since I don't like ANY of the choices or how they look, even the ones on the halo wiki...now if all those up armor atachments helped, or the eva helmet sumhow DID increase visibility...I might be inclined to spend my hard earned credits rather than saving to get the thunderstorm armor effect...which would also be awesome if it affected gameplay in the vein of "martyrdom"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back