Iron Man Mark VII Foam Armor (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

darth eli

Hello, fellow 405th-ers. This thread will document the creation of the Mark VII Iron Man armor as seen in the movie The Avengers. I found links to the Mark VII armor (both pep and foam versions) on TheHeroTutorials's video on YouTube. I will provide a link for the RPF thread where I found them (the video contains direct links to a Skyfire account to download the files) as well as my photobucket album link for the armor's reference pictures, which come with the files if you choose to download them. I opted for a combination of foam and pep armor to reduce costs while I remain unemployed.

(Disclaimer: They aren't my files, all credit goes to their respective owners for their time and dedication, as well as for sharing their talent to us)

My inspiration to start on Iron Man's armor came when I saw a guy had dressed up as Iron Man had attended the midnight premiere of The Avengers, although I've had knowledge of foam and pep armor making for over 2 years now, and opted to study and learn as much as possible before starting anything.

I had thought that this far south there were no fellow costume builders (although I do hear of some living around the Austin area), and seeing that someone was making awesome costumes jerked me out of the lazy trance I had been under. Thus, I decided to make this armor for the future movie releases of Iron Man 3 and The Avengers 2, as well as tour the local mall and attend events around the area, to the admiration of non-genius-billionaire-playboy-philanthropists :D

Alright, lets kick this off.

The Hero Tutorials video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjFDpMNX3Nk&list=UURc7kkxpHTIbd6JehP9wKbw&index=1&feature=plcp

RPF thread with files/reference pics http://www.therpf.com/f24/darkside501sts-iron-man-mk-vii-pepakura-files-139470/

My reference pictures Photobucket album http://www.photobucket.com/ironmanreferencepics

I started with the bicep armor, printing out the foam templates on cardstock and tracing them onto EVA foam. Then I used a heavy duty utility knife with replacement blades to slice and dice the foam. I took my heat gun and glue gun outside to work. Then i started to glue the pieces together, relying on several pictures of the 3D model taken by my ipod in pepakura to assemble the bicep.
IMG_3806.jpg
[/IMG]

When it got dark, I went inside to finish while I started creating my Photobucket and my first thread here :D
IMG_3809.jpg
[/IMG]

As I neared completition I tried it on for size, as I printed it out at default scale because my bicep's measurements seemed to match. However, I felt it was a tad small, and although I'll proceed with making the other the same size, I feel I might have to adress that problem in the future. For now I'm satisfied with my progress.
IMG_3810.jpg
[/IMG]

Thats it for today, drawing and cutting the parts took me about 2 hours in the morning, gluing and shaping was about 1 1/2 hours. I expect to finish with building within 2 months, as school is almost over and I'll have all my time to dedicate to this project. Thanks for reading, I will answer any questions and any feedback is appreciated.

hi darth_eli, I am also making my IronMan mk7 too. But I noticed that the front part of your bicep is wrong, I think you accidentally glued it on the opposite side. you might want to look again at the reference photo. by the way, I would like to borrow your reference pictures if you don't mind. :D

I hope we can finish our Iron Man suits. more power to you!~

Yeah, I kinda realized that when I saw the reference picture. As I had no reference picture on hand when i was assembling, I was relying on the pep model to put it together. I was very dissapointed when I realized I had made such a noob mistake, since I had over 50 pictures to reference from! :( However, I decided to leave it the way it is for now, and will correct my mistake once I have progressed on the build. Its only a simple matter of heating the area or slicing through the glue to flip the piece. I hope we both see it through to the end, VB, thanks for the feedback :D Feel free to borrow them, since they were made for public use by the guys at the RPF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back