Iron Man WiP photo heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlino

Hey all.. Im making an Iron Man costume for Halloween parties. Figured I have enough to make a WiP thread so here you go. Enjoy.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for looking. Any questions/comments post and I'll get back to you.

Yes it is just Rondo.. All my pieces are rondo. As you can see in some of the photos.. I made quite the mess

Yes it is just Rondo.. All my pieces are rondo. As you can see in some of the photos.. I made quite the mess

Awesome. How sturdy does it feel? Does the helmet give way, or flex when you try to bend it? I'm opting to use Rondo or smoothcast over fiberglass.

Awesome. How sturdy does it feel? Does the helmet give way, or flex when you try to bend it? I'm opting to use Rondo or smoothcast over fiberglass.

It's sturdy, there is no flex.. if I pushed hard enough Im sure I could put a crack in it, but then again its not steel! I plan on making a mold of most of these parts anyway and casting them with Flex FoamIt by smooth-on. That way it will look the part, and feel comfortable when I wear it. The helmet though, I'll cast out of smoothcast 300. I actually want to cast the chest/back part in FoamIt and part Smoothcast 300.

It's sturdy, there is no flex.. if I pushed hard enough Im sure I could put a crack in it, but then again its not steel! I plan on making a mold of most of these parts anyway and casting them with Flex FoamIt by smooth-on. That way it will look the part, and feel comfortable when I wear it. The helmet though, I'll cast out of smoothcast 300. I actually want to cast the chest/back part in FoamIt and part Smoothcast 300.

Thanks for the info bro :D. I just recently finished pepping the sharkmark VI, and am ready to start the resining phase. I was trying to decide between fiberglassing, rondo and smoothcase. Fiberglass just looks like a pain. I;m a first timer as well . :p

Havn't updated in awhile, so I hope this doesnt count as necroing!?

Anyway since last update I had to remake the chest and back.. As you saw in one of the pictures I had them joined together when I rondoed them and they came out all warped and didnt work to well, so I redid them in pep. I hardened them separate this time and again, it worked out in failure with it not fitting correctly on me due to warping. So this time around (yes, Im still not giving up) I will be sculpting the chest/back/abs together in clay and making a mold.

On to the picture updates:

This first picture is of the shin piece I pepped and hardened.

This next photo below is of how I cut the helmet. I wont be motorizing the faceplate as I am electronically challenged, so I went with what I felt was a simple and logical place to split the helmet and hides most of the cuts.

Below I am test fittign the helmet for the first time. Its a pretty tight fit, though I should have room in the faceplate for the electronics for light up eyes. Helmet is held together by 4 set of magnets attached around the cuts of the helmet.

Below is the helmet after two coats of primer, and 2 coats of spray paint. I believe the brand is Rustoleum, which I picked up at Michaels (or AC Moore, forget which now..). I can get the exact name of the color I used if anyone is interested but Im pretty sure the 'gold' is actually rustoleum's metallic brass.

Excellent Rondo work! I'm no expert, but it definitely looks good! What kind of primer did you use? More Rustoleum?

Excellent Rondo work! I'm no expert, but it definitely looks good! What kind of primer did you use? More Rustoleum?

The dark primer was just a sandable primer I picked up at autozone. After that and more sanding I did use a Rustoleum white primer before I used the actual color.

Hello, my 10 year old has made a brilliant Iron Man helmet using Pepakura files and now wants to get the same for the chest piece, like yours. Could you tell me where to find it? We have been searching 405th in the threads with no luck. Thanks, Sara.

Hello, my 10 year old has made a brilliant Iron Man helmet using Pepakura files and now wants to get the same for the chest piece, like yours. Could you tell me where to find it? We have been searching 405th in the threads with no luck. Thanks, Sara.

I've had the files for a long time now so Im not even sure if this link is the same exact one I used.
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/22067-Dancin_Fool's-3D-Model-Thread?highlight=iron+chest+file

If you want I can also email you the files I actually used, just send me your email address or post it.

So I started working on the chest/back/abs sculpt instead of attempting to make a third time at the pep. So far I just tossed the clay on and started to work in some rough shapes. Since I am making it out of clay I went to a store and bought an Iron Man 2 toy and will be making the chest piece in reference to that. This way Im up to date with the new suit! Anyway, here is what progress I've made so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a question, but could you take a picture of the painted helmet in a bit darker area?, because it looks a bit light in the sun.

Just a question, but could you take a picture of the painted helmet in a bit darker area?, because it looks a bit light in the sun.

When I get home from work tonight I'll take a new picture indoors. Hopefully with the lights installed as well.

awesome build here!
im very interested in how your sculpting goes! keep updating every step of the way, im wanting to start a suit (mass effect) using clay sculpts for some of the pieces so it will be cool to see how you do yours :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back