Ironman Pep Build - First attempt (with pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewAgeSith

After months of research (and indecision), I have finally decided to start my first build.

I couldn't decide if i should use clay or pepakura. So I thought logically. I can't build things by eye, but I love puzzles. So pepakura it is.

I love anything to do with my childhood, so I wanted to make a MMPR helmet. And after finding 6 out of the 7 files I wanted, I decided to start with something a little easier.

I have found a number of files while researching, but I found a few sites that had just what I wanted, Propzone.be and printablearmory.com.

So, with a big thankyou to Dung0beetle, I have decided to start with the Ironman helmet on printablearmory.com

ayzqutnrtgmirw4i179l.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I will be updating at least once a week. Any advice and/or criticism is welcomed.

And please correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe this is the Mk III.

Thanks Darth.

Update time.

Had some time to kill so I put this together.

eal0852jx30zf5pwd2nh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not bad looking.

Then I did this.

1vrtz2j12p8cjxol8q60.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And finally this.

im895zsl68qfdqdby5gj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
3y9puvdbd16mrn72man9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now, I've noticed a few things I've messed up, but I should be able to fix them when I get to the body filler stage.

What do you guys think? Am I doing OK? Or have I still got alot to learn?

1 more quick update before I stop for the night.

mpdmfsvfe5jdjnqlbqte.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

985pechfh938s6khk53j.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2pjv8lhqufr58bdyzeaj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As you can see, it's coming together nicely (I think). I'm having some issues with the back pieces not lining up properly and some warping (that's my inexperience showing). But again, I can hopefully sort that out with body filler.

looking pretty good so far! honestly, yes, needs a little more skill, but practice makes perfect, and keep thinking you need to improve, cause when you dont, you stagnate, and you become a prick that no one likes. so keep working on your technique and you will end up with something so freaking amazing! keep up the work!

Thanks again Darth. And I'll never be one of them. I hate people like that.

OK. Update time. I've given up on my first model. The back of the helmet pissed me off! So I decided to start again.

I have started with the back this time in the hope it comes together. So far I think it's working.

cf1o9vokonksbvqh5vr9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
vt88xtqdj6ip1eyrocef.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

What do you think?

I think the prep files are a littli bit approsimative, and the girl in the monitor i very pretty XP
If i have a bit of time i send you better files :)
I have all mk4 and 6 files

Not bad but I think you need to be a little bit more careful and precise :). It will make your work easier later on :). And I suggest using different type of paper :)

@The Death Angel
It's The Pick Of Destiny in the background. And yeah if you've got something you think is better i'd love to give it a try.

@Cassius
You're absolutely right, but I'm impatient. One I start something I want it finished yesterday! But you're right. I need to slow down. And to be honest with you I thought the card I'm using was a little too thick. I thought the thicker the card the stabler the model. I'm using 300gsm. What would you recommend as an alternative?

Aye man, first off. Great job. For one of your first attempts at pep its looking great. Well done. Secondly if your having trouble with warping what id recommend is when your folding your tabs to glueyour pieces fold them a few times so that they hold the angle you want. This can reduce warping tenfold.

Thirdly. We both struggle with the same problem. Once we start something we just want it done. But what ive found is when i get that way, its best to slow down and take my time or else what i see in my head wont be the same as whats infront of me. Just slow it down and take your time mn. It may suck slowing down but at least youcan put in all the details and fix your errors early on. Keep going strong man

Thanks to everyone for the comments and advice.

I finished the card build yesterday.

zuyuch4ejpb4o51us8ng.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
klqmspmsgunl0zbul7g6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
vywkoxxf6bpdh2j3b9jd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
5rsd6nxylh2nmcnliuvj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
clubz3aa932f9820z742.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
comf7spo6ijy8qqzw6ma.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I know its not perfect but I'm happy with the way its turned out. But on to my next issue. Strengthening.

I tried to strengthen the helmet last night and found that my plastic cured in about 30 seconds! I followed the directions to the letter. I have Polytek Easyflo 60. can anyone help me fix the curing problem or recomend an alternative to Easyflo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back