Ironman117's Steel Mjolnir Armor Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this is definitely Elite worthy.

Like Sean said, this is something we all thought was impossible to do...time, weight, cost, skill. But here, you've done even more than just a 'proof of concept'...you FINISHED it and it looks amazing!

21 kg's (46ish lbs) isn't bad considering that it IS armor. Hell, I think my wedding dress weighed that much.

Mad props to your...mad props! :)

Again, epic thread is epic.

Imagine if you could smooth it out to look like the bondo'd suits... that'd be the pinnacle of godliness.

I've just started making armor, and hope to do metal armor some time down the road when I have the resources and skill to do so. Mad props to the OP, this is amazing.

People also seem to be overestimating the factor of weight in this endeavor. In the Air Force we rucked with 120 lbs on the back, and the AF isn't really known for high fitness standards. With armor being distributed over the entire body, I can't see the weight being an issue unless someone gets the bright idea to do DU or lead armor. Under-armor padding would definitely be priority though. With the helmet you've got another story. The neck isn't built for a whole lot of weight, so that would be the area to skimp on thickness, and run a flexible support rod down the back of the neck to attach between the shoulder blades, distribute it over the torso. Or run it to a support "ring" that conforms over the collar bone and shoulders.

One of the things I did notice aesthetically is that a matte look somehow appeals more to my eye. Perhaps with battle damage, gouges would show the metallic material, but I think a matte paint job is more fitting.

But again, awesome job. I'm looking forward to seeing more metal work here.

Re: Ironman117's Steel Mjolnir Armor Tutorial

I cant see the pics. Words cannot describe how much i wanted to see this. Im sad now.

Re: Ironman117's Steel Mjolnir Armor Tutorial

try not to necro threads man. last post was almost 5 years ago, if you were curious about photos ya could try to pm the OP and see if they respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back