Is Westfield helmet worth 125$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

AF200XL

Jr Member
Like the title said is the westerfield helmet worth $125?? If not what helmet would be a good investment for say $200-$250 any suggestions??? o_O

Westerfield helmets are good but to bring them up to the quality of the 300-500 dollar molded helms, you're going to need to do some heavy modifications (fiberglass reinforcement, added detailing, LEDs, double visor etc.).

They are however the nicest helmet you'll find for that price range.

Sigma-LS said:
Westerfield helmets are good but to bring them up to the quality of the 300-500 dollar molded helms, you're going to need to do some heavy modifications (fiberglass reinforcement, added detailing, LEDs, double visor etc.).

They are however the nicest helmet you'll find for that price range.

how do they compare to say a SB helm??

Last edited by a moderator:
Sean has gone out of his way to make his the most versatile and customizable available, he has ajustable spacers and padding, an easily removable double visor setup and easy access electronics.

You can't really compare the two, though like I said it is possible to bring the Westerfield up to near Sean's quality with your own modding work. If you did that you would probably still save some cash and get more satisfaction out of your own work.

I won't lie though. I love my 001 Sean helm just as much as my Bluerealm helm.

Thats a hefty compliment Sigma, thanks!

I've never had a Westerfield helmet to compare, but given that it's made from an entirely different process I don't think that you can fairly compare the two. I will say however that Rob does a wonderful job with his vacuumformed armor and has more experience in this field than I do..

There are pro's and cons to either process.... what you're talking about is a debate over which process is better, and there is no definitive answer on that issue, only opinion.

For the money, the SB helmet is the best all around helmet. You can spend a little more, tipping that money toward finite accuracy, but pound for pound and dollar for dollar, the SB is your huckleberry!

Like sean said you cant compare the two really since they are made in a different process. Vacu-forming is good for storm trooper helmets or clones. Or any star wars helmet really. However, the MC one is really nice for a vacuum forming job. I know I wouldnt do a better job at vacuum forming an MC helmet anyday!

Compared to sean bradley's helmet, westerfields isnt worth 125 dollars. i wont talk price, but I know his is slightly more expensive, but for sharp clean lines, and accurate shape and sturdiness....the extra is 100% worth it.

I'd probably think better of the Westerfield helmet had I not seen this web site first. The examples of armor on this site kind of ruin it because the bar is set so high.

I've had the honor of owning almost every type of multiple copied helm during my time here including Sean's, Bluerealm's, Westerfields, Link's, NAS's, War helm, and Spase's soonly(no Briar or Ben but that's okay ;) ) and there are a few things I would like to say about Rob's quality compared to others.

Rob's helm is made to a high quality for what he is asking for it. Sure it would look better with a double visor straight off the shelf but that's an extra $60 in materials alone.

Now are you guys seeing how this can rack up pretty quickly?

Anybody who's made their own helm half as good out of pepakura has spent more than $100 in materials and at least as much in the work and time they put into it. To have the opportunity to have such a fine helmet for such a low price that can be modified so easily to obtain the characteristics you flame it for not having...it's a blessing.

Sean is right. Armor before attitude. Westerfield armor may not be exactly what you are looking for but it is still an awesome set of armor.

AF200XL said:
how do they compare to say a SB helm??

I got a westerfields helm. I have to say SB helm since you dont have to make it stronger. But there both good in detail. There almost the same except Sbs is better quality. I dont know what you pay for it, But whatever it is and you can afford it it wont dissapoint you. But then again it depends on your budget and how much you care about your armor.

well il just have to start my collection of helmets and then compare once i have a couple :) :p thx for all the opinions!! but yeah the price i was quoted on for the SB helmet kit was hard to refuse after the comparison of the two i did, thats not to say i wont eventually buy robs as well :) is he a member here??

I'd say westerfields helmet should be 75 dollars without visor, the thickness of plastic they use, and the ammount isnt worth over 100 dollars, about a year ago, I purchased .90 abs for 30 dollars, it was enough vacuum form a ton of crap, if I did helmets I could have made say.....3-4 stormtrooper helmets.

But then again remember, it is a kit meaning it is pre "worked" to make it easier for you to assemble, so that does add more money because unlike stormtrooper armor, the kits come pre cut and ready to assemble.

but I'd still say for 125 dollars of my own money, I wouldnt buy it unless it was painted and included a gold 1 layer visor. I'd rather spend the money on a sb helmet for a little more, then buy my own gold visor and have a helmet which is show case quality. But liek sigma and sean said again "armor before attitude" and armopr is better than no armor, helmet is better than no helmet.

From AoBfrost: "armor before attitude" and armor is better than no armor, helmet is better than no helmet.

Nicely said!

AF200XL said:
very true..... But just for the sake of argument, who do you guys think make the best helmets/helmetkits???
Honestly, I think the best helmet one could have is one you made yourself. That's what I'm doing. Just the fact that I'll be able to say "I made it myself" when someone asks will be more rewarding than me buying it from someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back