Jaku's Venator, Marine, and Misc builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
The desire to pull the trigger on one of those is real. I have a decent down payment set aside and can do the financing but our dollar is garbo and doesn't look like it's getting better any time soon so that x amount of months is a toss up. Maybe if I fill up a few more commissions over the summer I'll do it.

Dude, I want magically appearing tools. Jealous.
I wish that laser cutter would appear at my front door in the morning.

Finally some more updates.
First I have worked a bit more on the cat scratcher project, I have to pick up some resin or at least resin hardener from the store for tests on cardboard and foam.
I added another layer of foam put a bottom circle on it and attached 3 ramps (sides must still be done).
KIMG1342.JPG top veiw
KIMG1343.JPG side of ramp
KIMG1346.JPG for general scale my hand is probably 6 inches long (not measured)

Next progress on the reach boot, I have cut out a few more peices, the front peice will need some filling later on.KIMG1348.JPG KIMG1349.JPG KIMG1350.JPG KIMG1351.JPG KIMG1352.JPG KIMG1353.JPG KIMG1354.JPG KIMG1355.JPG KIMG1356.JPG
Next, my new "weapon" that has been stealing a bit of my time.
KIMG1357.JPG
it will destroy... Your ears :p

First I have worked a bit more on the cat scratcher project, I have to pick up some resin or at least resin hardener from the store for tests on cardboard and foam.
I added another layer of foam put a bottom circle on it and attached 3 ramps (sides must still be done).
View attachment 255324 top veiw
View attachment 255323 side of ramp
View attachment 255322 for general scale my hand is probably 6 inches long (not measured)

Next progress on the reach boot, I have cut out a few more peices, the front peice will need some filling later on.View attachment 255321 View attachment 255320 View attachment 255319 View attachment 255318 View attachment 255317 View attachment 255316 View attachment 255315 View attachment 255314 View attachment 255313
View attachment 255312

Based on your Reach boots alone, your cuts in foam are improving and getting cleaner which will help you in the long run by saving you on adhesives and gap filling material as well as time (the most valuable resource). My one suggestion is to decrease your cut angle and start further away from the actual cut area so that you're putting less stress on the foam and reducing the pull at corners which can still get a bit jagged. There's some indication based on snags that you're either starting your cut with a sawing motion or pressing into the foam at a sharp angle not exactly at the corner on some points in the heel, if you lower your blade to ~30° or lower to the cutting surface it lets more of your edge do the cutting, reduces stress on the foam and makes cutting easy. I used to get tired from foam building days just from pressing into the cuts and dragging through, now I'm just lazy and let my tool do the work for me.

View attachment 255324 top veiw
View attachment 255323 side of ramp
View attachment 255322 for general scale my hand is probably 6 inches long (not measured)

Next progress on the reach boot, I have cut out a few more peices, the front peice will need some filling later on.View attachment 255321 View attachment 255320 View attachment 255319 View attachment 255318 View attachment 255317 View attachment 255316 View attachment 255315 View attachment 255314 View attachment 255313
View attachment 255312
I too see the foam smithing improvements!! Nice work and why’s your telecaster in pieces?

so a quick update, this is basically a complaining post, but no more build progress due to things (school and my million other hobbies), but I should be starting up again in a week or two. I was going to work more on it today but my work space was cleaned by someone other than me and all my templates, and about a sheets worth of foam had been thrown out by the time i realized. also I used all my hotglue again.

Sorry dude, complaints dept. is closed. No but seriously, don’t rush the build. Take the time to do it right. Think of this as a marathon rather than a sprint. Your suit will be all the better for it. Take care of RL stuff and get back when you can. And get yourself more than a 6 pack of hot glue sticks. Less than 10 bucks for a 50 pack at Harbor Freight. Less if you are using the mini sticks.

Sorry dude, complaints dept. is closed. No but seriously, don’t rush the build. Take the time to do it right. Think of this as a marathon rather than a sprint. Your suit will be all the better for it. Take care of RL stuff and get back when you can. And get yourself more than a 6 pack of hot glue sticks. Less than 10 bucks for a 50 pack at Harbor Freight. Less if you are using the mini sticks.
I did buy 50 pack but I just use hot glue so much. must use MORE!!!

I finished the main part of the boot done, unfortunately I will have to extend it to fit over my shoe.View attachment 255938 View attachment 255939 View attachment 255940 View attachment 255941 View attachment 255942
The boot does not even fit when I don't have a shoe in it. Any recommendations for how I should extend it?

Looks like you're missing a strap across the front of your ankle and the guard for the top of the boot. Those definitely help with keeping everything together but when I was building mine I found that to make everything stay in scale and still function I had to embed a shoe into the boot and build around it. I'll edit a picture into this post later on.

Looks like you're missing a strap across the front of your ankle and the guard for the top of the boot. Those definitely help with keeping everything together but when I was building mine I found that to make everything stay in scale and still function I had to embed a shoe into the boot and build around it. I'll edit a picture into this post later on.
I am aware of the missing peices, I want to add them after I extend it. As of now I just need suggestions for what part I should extend it at.

Any time you extend something you weaken it by adding more seams, so keep that in mind. Otherwise general rule of thumb is to pick the flattest area. If it's in the middle great! If it's on a side then you have to extend the otherside too.

Thanks PaiganBoi, unfortunately I overslept today so I couldn't go buy paint.

I did however get to go to Goodwill and pick up a jacket to make a warlock cloak sometime during the summer. I don't want to take on the entire warlock cosplay now though because I haven't finished my spartan yet.
Here is the jacket on my sister's dressmaking dummy.
KIMG1489.JPG
I also extended the boot enough to at least fit my bare foot, it mat need more later.
KIMG1491.JPG
I also was busy with consoles. I found a good deal for an original Xbox at Goodwill. It needs a video cable but it seems to work otherwise. I tried once again to fix my disc drive for 360 and failed again.
1529184074442227147415.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back