Jesmonite Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.

XRobots

This is the first time I've actually tried something made from Pepakura, so I thought I'd try something simple(ish) before I went and made a whole helmet and then ruined it. I downloaded a Predator Bio helmet from thehunterslair.com which looked easy enough to make, although it took two days to complete.

I've used Jemonite, to reinforce it, along with standard glass fibre surface tissue.

There's a 50% UK/EU discount / promotion on Jesmonite going on in a couple of forums if you fancy having a go with the stuff - it's non-toxic so you can use it indoors. Check out these TDH and THL posts. This is the same stuff I'm using for my entire Iron Man costume which I posted in another thread here: http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...t=0&start=0

The main piece of Pepakura is made from 200gsm card (about 2-3 times thicker than standard copier paper):

Pred_Bio01.jpg

Working my way out from the middle:

Pred_Bio02.jpg

I cracked a piece before it had set properly that will need rebuilding, but I'll probably make the entire rim solid anyway:

Pred_Bio04.jpg

...and here it is. There's a lot more smoothing out to do, but the whole thing it totally rigid now - you should be able to stand on it when it's done, but I won't try it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvUgH0SumaI

Pred_Bio03.jpg

randomman said:
What all can you do with jesmonite?
Do you think I could, say, use it for smoothing?

Jesmonite is a water based non-toxic resin for casting / laminating etc. You could use it with glass fibre mat to make a fibreglass shell inside a mould, or use it to reinforce paper like I have done here. I've used it to make my Iron Man costume from Latex moulds - check out the link in my first post.

The main advantage is that it's non-toxic and non-flammable, so there are no nasty fumes like there are with Polyester resin. It's water soluble so you can wash the brushes out in water afterwards and clean up with a damp cloth... if you get to it quick enough anyway.

I'm planning to brush on some thinner coats to smooth it out a bit on the outside before sanding - a bit like a primer/filler paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks promising. Ill have to look for it here in the states. Im fixing to fire up the printer and sharpen my scissors :p I do not like resin. Stinks.

drgon47 said:
Looks promising. Ill have to look for it here in the states. Im fixing to fire up the printer and sharpen my scissors :p I do not like resin. Stinks.

If you want the US equivalent product, it's http://www.aquaresin.com/ - there are quite a few US distributors listed on their site. Jesmonite is a UK/EU only product.

XRobots said:
Jesmonite is a water based non-toxic resin for casting / laminating etc. You could use it with glass fibre mat to make a fibreglass shell inside a mould, or use it to reinforce paper like I have done here. I've used it to make my Iron Man costume from Latex moulds - check out the link in my first post.

The main advantage is that it's non-toxic and non-flammable, so there are no nasty fumes like there are with Polyester resin. It's water soluble so you can wash the brushes out in water afterwards and clean up with a damp cloth... if you get to it quick enough anyway.

I'm planning to brush on some thinner coats to smooth it out a bit on the outside before sanding - a bit like a primer/filler paint.
so it COULD be used for smoothing...

Hmmm I smell a tutorial brewing, its just a question of who wants to jump on it. This would be really good for people like myself who are in a dorm room and fiberglass/curing and a space to work is an issue. Questions needing answered are

1. What consistency is the stuff and how is it applied based on that consistency.
2. How easily is it sanded.
3. Can normal fiberglass mat be used with it should one choose to reinforce it with said mat.

Just a few of my own questions should someone decide to document their experience. ;)

lostdude said:
Hmmm I smell a tutorial brewing, its just a question of who wants to jump on it. This would be really good for people like myself who are in a dorm room and fiberglass/curing and a space to work is an issue. Questions needing answered are

1. What consistency is the stuff and how is it applied based on that consistency.
2. How easily is it sanded.
3. Can normal fiberglass mat be used with it should one choose to reinforce it with said mat.

Just a few of my own questions should someone decide to document their experience. ;)

Yep - it's ideal for indoors use as it isn't solvent based, so there are are no nasty fumes. The other answers are:

1: It's basically a runny liquid after you mix it, however there is a Thixotrope additive availble that makes it into more of a gel - for applying the first coats before any reinforcement fabric etc, so it doesn't just run away.

2: It's easy enough to sand - just like regulat polyester resin. However there's a 'beta' stage where it's softer for the first 24-48 hours when it's easier to sand and cut before it sets rock hard.

3: I've used standard glass fibre surface tissue and also standard fibreglass chopped strand mat - these products seem to fall to pieces if you make them wet with water, so they conform to the contour of your mould or item fine with Jesmonite. However, the manufacturer of Jesmonite says you should only use 'Jesmonite Quadaxial Mat' which is more of an open weave and held together with a 'weak adhesive'... which you'll basically have an easier time with, but it costs more.

Just one thing to clarify - Jesmonite is the EU/UK product. Aqua Resin is the US product. They are both very similar.

I did actually see a tutorial in these forums for Pepakura with Aqua Resin... have a search.

Ahhhh yes.... I never did like the way smoothcast sanded and I bet aquaresin is much of the same. I had seen your ironman tutorial which looks great with that aquaresin but I never found one besides this thread about applying directly to a pepped model. Very intriguing with the dishcloths in the latex; new concept for me.

I think I'll just be sticking with fiberglass and resin anyway since its what I know and I'm cheap ;) Maybe I'll cast with aquaresin and test it out then.

Jesmonite sounds like the UK equivilent to Aqua Resin :D awesome :D

And there is a thread for AR. it sands pretty well, spot putty will be needed but hey it beats nothing

Skullcandy Girl said:
Jesmonite sounds like the UK equivilent to Aqua Resin :D awesome :D

And there is a thread for AR. it sands pretty well, spot putty will be needed but hey it beats nothing

Theres the patch!

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8678

I'll just stick that there for my own personal quick reference and friends. I really should go explore that area of the forums more, I stick to the noob and pep sections of the forum. This looks promising but I'm on my spring break now and am about to fiberglass so I'll put this off for a different project. I likes killing brain cells anyway, I don't need them for biochem or the MCAT :p

Great work with this product X and SG; I like what I'm seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back