Journey to becoming an ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForTheOrder18

Alrighty I guess this is where I will be posting the long process of building an ODST. I got the amazing files from TurboCharizard's Etsy store and have been scaling them in Armorsmith. Gonna be a long journey(have other costumes I'm finishing with the 501st) but gonna slowly pick away at the pieces when I can.

I plan on doing an ONI ODST with the Dare style helmet. Haven't fully thought out the colors yet, but thinking of primary being a Wolf Grey or a gunmetal grey/black with either a dark red or deep purple secondary color. The under layers I was thinking of going with Kryptek Typhon. Always have loved their camos in airsoft so figured I'd go with them here as well unless there are some awesome recommendations down the road I am all ears.

No pictures as of yet, was just wanting to post up my plans and start the thread. I am currently resin printing some test pieces of the translucent bubble on the ONI center abdominal piece just to get the setting dialed in on clear resins since I've only printed in grey. But there will be pictures soon!!

My printer didn't have anything on the build plate for a bit so I printed the Chest and Ab pieces. I'm not to sure if the scale is where it needs to be though. I did scale them in armorsmith to what looked right but after printing idk maybe too small? These are printed at 90%.

Also what's the best way to go about attaching the pieces? A vest with MOLLE and attach that way or is it easier buckling it together with the shoulder straps and such?

Attachments

• IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1111.JPG
    IMG_1111.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
For Dare style parts I'd say you're pretty bang on with the scaling for accuracy and comfort.
Halo3_ODST_Dare.png

As for attachment, some folks like the MOLLE vest route, I'm more a fan of custom vests to help keep the overall shape instead of the inevitable cylindrical torso that results from most off the shelf vests.

For Dare style parts I'd say you're pretty bang on with the scaling for accuracy and comfort.
View attachment 312395

As for attachment, some folks like the MOLLE vest route, I'm more a fan of custom vests to help keep the overall shape instead of the inevitable cylindrical torso that results from most off the shelf vests.
Awesome! Thanks for the info, I'll have to look into making a custom vest.

Scale looks about perfect. I will say that I scaled my original ODST chest plate so it looked big enough and it was f-in huge and ridiculous. My newest one looks tiny but fits perfectly. I think just the nature of the piece makes it look small.

Scale looks about perfect. I will say that I scaled my original ODST chest plate so it looked big enough and it was f-in huge and ridiculous. My newest one looks tiny but fits perfectly. I think just the nature of the piece makes it look small.
I think part of the problem is that without the rest of the parts we all forget exactly where it sits on the body and then it doesn't look quite right. A lot of ODSTs seem to have their chest plate as a neck neighbour but the best way I've found is to use just below the armpits to line up the widest point of the plate and don't make the plate wider than the torso width.

A rare ONI agent! (Wait you must be new bc we can actually see you)
O very new haha.
I think part of the problem is that without the rest of the parts we all forget exactly where it sits on the body and then it doesn't look quite right. A lot of ODSTs seem to have their chest plate as a neck neighbour but the best way I've found is to use just below the armpits to line up the widest point of the plate and don't make the plate wider than the torso width.
That's how I went about it. At first I scaled with armorsmith originally, then while in the slicer I adjusted with my body measurements just to double check. First one came out way to small even though it looked perfect and this one seemed right. Slowly but surely I'm getting this thing printed out. Kind of lost the spark in my Star Wars costumes at the moment and kind of just putting all the time into this one surprisingly enough. Been super fun so far! Got the back plate finished printing today. Just waiting on my white elephant Christmas gift to finish printing before I am able to continue on this fun build lol.

Ya I was the opposite. Smaller on the first go and then went up a little to this size. It looked bigger in armorsmith when scaled correctly then when printed lol. But it seems the right fitment so far, any bigger and movement will be restricted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back