Just an idea on plasma Grenades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, i just though of a way to do the plasma Grenades.
I was at michaels (the art store) and in there clay and mold making section i ran into a
clear Resin ( i forgot the specific name) it's commonly used to make crystal clear statuettes and awards.
And it's cheap, you pour it into your mold, then before you fill it up you put what ever you want to be incased in it then finish filling it.
IF you made a mold of a sphere roughly the size of a Plasma grenade, you could make yourself a clear sphere that you could paint, and even put the electronics in, that is ultra durable. Anyhow, i haven't tried it, but i think it would be an interesting experiment for anyone willing to try it. I would do it but i'm busy with to many other props.
What do you guys think? Think it would work?

tonsofhoopla said:
I was at michaels (the art store) and in there clay and mold making section i ran into a
clear Resin ( i forgot the specific name) it's commonly used to make crystal clear statuettes and awards.
And it's cheap, you pour it into your mold, then before you fill it up you put what ever you want to be incased in it then finish filling it.
IF you made a mold of a sphere roughly the size of a Plasma grenade, you could make yourself a clear sphere that you could paint, and even put the electronics in, that is ultra durable. Anyhow, i haven't tried it, but i think it would be an interesting experiment for anyone willing to try it. I would do it but i'm busy with to many other props.

Maybe. How much is the stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:
tonsofhoopla said:
I recall seeing casting resin at Micheals once, and it may work, but it's quite expensive.

No, the stuff isn't to expensive, well at least at the michaels by where i live.
It's like $22 for a gallon, that's not bad considering Resin cost more than that for a gallon.
But if you're on a tight budget, it might just be wise to buy the plastic spheres for $5, heck of a lot cheaper and possibly better/easier for installing the electronics.
But either way it would be cool.
I haven't tried it yet, to many other projects :D.

Anyhow, you are probably right,
the cost out weighs the benefits,
The only things real good about it would be it's weight and durability as opposed to plastic spheres.

you can get clear juggling balls that have spring switched LEDs inside them, so when you juggle them they flash, maybe you could use those?

Rid3r said:
Why not mix a small amount of blue food coloring in the resin so you don't have to paint it?
thats a great idea actually, do that then embed an led into it before it cures and it would look awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back