Just had a thought while trying to go to sleep last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twitchfmx8811

Not sure if anyone has thought of this yet but as I was trying to go to sleep last night it hit me like a ton of bricks. Why not use that fun foam stuff for the under suit. Get a sewing machine and some black thread. Choose a section to work on like the back area. Take a pencil or something that wont rip the foam or leave a dark line you cant get off. Sketch the design your working on (EXAMPLE: the back or front like circled Thanks Tsuyosa for the design)

UnderSuit.jpg

And run the foam through the sewing machine and sew your design. Then sew it to your clothing of choice. And you can do the same for the leg piece (also circled) over lap a few pieces and attach it to your leg armor for more free movement.

hmmmm thats a really good idea. but i would try not to conver the whole suit in the foam, because of breathability, but when i make my undersuit ill probably try this technique.

or because thread will look terrible use hot glue! :) besides, who can use a sewing machine? Great idea!

i dont know how well hot glue would work. but if you dont have a sewing machine, you could even hand sew it. thats probably what im gonna emd up doing, because my sewing machine is broken and i never learned how to use it.

well the reason I suggested a sewing machine is because it will pull the thread alot tighter and will give it dimension and not just a piece of thread that goes across the top of it.

This is a good idea and its one I have used and may use for this suit also. Here are a couple of tips. Sewing will not work very well because Foamies just are not stron g enough. What does work is contact cement for the inside of the patern and superglue for the perimeter.

A word of caution. Do NOT use contact cement against the skin. I assume many of you are going to use underarmor which is what I used. You are going to want to build a duct tape dummy and put the underarmor on the dummy then glue the pieces on. If you put the suit on yourself and put contact cement on the suit, you will get burned and when you glue the perimeter with super glue you may be wearing the suit longer than you wanted to ;)

Use goop. It is much more flexible than hot glue and holds better on fabrics. If you make a mistake using thread, the needle holes don't go away. Also, the foam tends to tear when sewn to fabrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back