Just to make sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPU7N1K

Jr Member
I wanna resin soon, so I just wanna make sure I've got all the right equipment.

Fiberglass:
PC060003.jpg

Resin (This is the right type right? It has to be, it costed me $70):
PC060009.jpg

Respirator:
PC060007.jpg

PC060006.jpg

Gloves:
PC060005.jpg

Catalyst:
PC060010.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions or anything, do post it here!

Thanks.

wrong type of resin, return that and the hardner, get your money back. go to an automotive store and ask for fiberglass resin, they will make sure you get the right thing. everything else looks ok, what type of resperator cartridge did you get?

Spartan 161 said:
wrong type of resin, return that and the hardner, get your money back. go to an automotive store and ask for fiberglass resin, they will make sure you get the right thing. everything else looks ok, what type of resperator cartridge did you get?

What do you mean wrong? I can't get a refund if I return it.. omg..... seriously?.............

Last edited by a moderator:
this might just be me, but i got large box of latax glaves, as once there get covered in fibre glass they become practically useless, i went though a fair few gloves so buying a decent pair didt make much sence to me,
hope that helps
Demon 2005

SPU7N1K said:
What do you mean wrong? I can't get a refund if I return it.. omg..... seriously?.............

Yes I am serious here is a link to the proper resin. However you can use other brands but Bondo brand is more widespread.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userp...d=6119&BASE

Just take what you have back to where you got it, most places are very understanding and will refund your money. 70$ is an outrageous price to boot. I got a 32 oz container of resin with the hardner included for 11.69. The link I sent you its cheaper than I paid.

Is this fiberglass cloth or mat? And why is the resin wrong? The tin says that it contains polyester resin and styrene. (Btw im his brother so i'm asking you guys)

SOLIP5IL said:
Is this fiberglass cloth or mat? And why is the resin wrong? The tin says that it contains polyester resin and styrene. (Btw im his brother so i'm asking you guys)

looks like cloth to me from the pic. Ok, On the can did it say anywhere something like this. For repairing, resurfacing, Rebuilding metal, wood, Fiberglass & masonry? If not then I am going to say that resin wont work. It may not have the strength you want. The resin link I sent you is formulated to be used with the cloth. The stuff you have pictured may not be. did it say it can be used with fiberglass cloth on the can? If not then you will have to take it back. Just trying to help you guys out.

Cast resin is to make molds if I'm right, what you need is fiberglass resin, which is for repairing or hardening surfaces of cars and swimming pools and other plastic parts that have large smooth areas that are damaged.

Google says you bought the wrong stuff, casting resin is for molding stuff, if you were molding armor, that stuff might work, but not for pepakura armor.

@Spu7n1k if you are in Singapore, I assume you have boat repair or marine stores. Try one of them, fiberglass is used in most watercraft.
Sorry for your loss on the Casting resin, but it is fun stuff. Maybe you can find a use for it.

dwoo said:
SPU7N1K if you are in Singapore, I assume you have boat repair or marine stores. Try one of them, fiberglass is used in most watercraft.
Sorry for your loss on the Casting resin, but it is fun stuff. Maybe you can find a use for it.

ya im sorry man but that is the wrong resin, and you paid 70 :oops: i mean you could make a couple helmets for 70 dollars..

You said its for molding. If i wanted to mold my pep ar after fiberglassing and everything, would i need this resin?

No, as the label specifies it is for casting. (If you make a silicone mold you could cast parts with it but you cannot make the mold itself out of the stuff)

Polyurethane All-Purpose Fiberglass resin is what you want for this project. Polyester is a type of plastic I have no experience with but it should be very easily prone to warping with heat.

Yeah...I'm planning on using that resin for making plasma grenades with in a couple months. You bought the wrong resin. That's stuff's better used as a sealer, and has no strength in it. Go with Bondo or similiar types ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back