Know an alternative to Fiber Glassing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanSRS

I've worked with fiber glass once on my previous helmet.. and it totally warped it making it even harder to work with. The smell is absolutely atrocious too.. so I was wondering if anyone know any alternative to strengthening the helmet besides fiberglass?

Thanks in advance!
-SpartanSRS

I don't think it will help but I did paper mache on my first suit of armor (H2 ODST) turned out good a little amount of warpping just becuase I did have a good mount.
DSCN3025.jpg

easy, use smooth-on 320. just seal the inside of the PEP piece that you're working on (i recommend hot glue along the seams) and pour the plastic until it's hard enough. ive made a whole suit this way and its not as expensive as fiberglass if you use it well. buying the trail of the FOAM-IT series works too.
just one base layer of 320 and then one THIN layer of FOAM-IT. it adds the body and strength of about 4 decent layers of plastic.
all together it can cost you no more than $300 including the visor, bondo, straps, ect.
its also cleaner and ALMOST non toxic. i still recommend a respirator or at least a mask.

ive known people to use pantyhose and woodglue to make shells of things, i dont know the strength of the final form, but it holds its shape really well.

There is a material called paper tape, its the brown tape that is used py the post office to close up boxes, i use it to re enforce my pieces before resin. this could be used to help strengthen.

Spartan Have you tried any other methods yourself?

Also there is and epoxy putty called Apoxie by Aves. Super strong but also a bit expensive. You could buy it Direct from their site.

For the helmet I use Rondo, its a mixture of fiberglass resin and bondo car filler. 50/50 mix, add a bit of hardener from both components and stir. Poor it it the helmet swish it and paint it around and let it sit, then your good :D

The smell is absolutely atrocious too..
Am I the only one who noticed that? You should not be able to smell it, as you should have a NIOSH-approved HEPA OV/P-95 filtered respirator on, because Polyurethane is incredibly toxic, especially the fumes.

Moving on from my safety rant (BECAUSE I WANT YOU TO LIVE AND MAKE AWESOME ARMOR, DAMMIT!), I think Rondo Mud is a good way to do armor. Slush it around while it sets.

Honestly, though, what I would do, if I had the time and money, is lay down a layer of Rondo, then apply a layer of Rondo-glass (Fiberglass impregnated with Rondo instead of Resin). It's really strong, and weighted nicely.

My advice if your stuff is warping: brush a thin coat of resin to the outside, in segments, and let it cure. The helmet should be hard enough to glass, then, and any warping you have should be fixable, given enough skill with bondo and a dremel. Hope that helps you in the future.

For the helmet I use Rondo, its a mixture of fiberglass resin and bondo car filler. 50/50 mix, add a bit of hardener from both components and stir. Poor it it the helmet swish it and paint it around and let it sit, then your good :D

I agree with you rondo is fast and simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back