Last Resort's Space Marine Power Armour Build (V2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's looking awesome dude, love seeing good space marine builds :)

Thanks man, it's always nice to get encouragement!

Now, updates. Kinda.

WP_000409.jpg

The 'IX' without the stencil taped on.

WP_000410.jpg

The pauldrons, side by side. Kate did a fantastic job with these.

WP_000403.jpg

I decided to get all my thoughts out, what I still had to do, what problems I could run into, and how I could fix them, onto paper. Five pages later...

WP_000408.jpg

All the parts I still have to make. This is about a third, so I've made 2/3rds already. Still comes to 100+ pages, though...

NOW this is where I need your help, 405th. If you can read my writing on any of these, please comment as to how you might go about fixing or developing these problems.

WP_000404.jpg

Main important parts here: how to go about gloves and boots.

WP_000405.jpg

Strapping and how to keep it on my body. Undersuits, padding, movement restrictions, all that.

WP_000406.jpg

This is more thoughts of any extra details I might add. However, here, SpartanDevastator and Das Brutus would be able to help with: STOMACH COVERING. WHAT DO? I have a few ideas, but I'd still like your input. Or anybody's actually. Get those ideas circulating!

WP_000407.jpg

Thorssoli has a Boltgun mold (I think) that he's said he's willing to do casts of (I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology), so I'm considering asking him if he'd be able to, for a price, do one for me, since his is a better size and would be fully completed. But then again, shipping to Australia would be a fair bit, and I don't know if it would be considered cheating or not. I might have to remake the chest as it's deforming, and I've got a Mk. VIII 'Errant' pattern chest, but if I make that, the helm might not fit within the raised collar. MAG-LOCKING! Putting a strip of magnets down the side of my thigh piece and another down the side of my Bolter and helm, so I can mag-lock both to the thigh for easy storage.

Thoughts, guys? Literally any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I have a few ideas, but more often than not, someone with an outside view comes up with an idea I've missed.

AND WHILE I'M HERE, JUST SO PEOPLE DON'T GET MAD!
Shoulders: Modeller unknown, unfolder unknown
Thighs and Shins: Ral Partha's Mk.VII 'Aquila' files
Chest: Ral Partha's Mk.VII 'Aquila' files
Helmet: Modeller unknown, unfolder unknown
Bolter: Modeller unknown, unfolder unknown

WP_000411.jpg

WP_000412.jpg

My just-completed +2 Knee Pads of Defence, with a dual-support structure upgrade.

No, but seriously, crossing that off my list felt amazing. Next up, I've decided, is the Mk.VIII 'Errant' codpiece, at 12 pages. Not TOO bad, I think.

Guess-sized codpiece: Ok
Printed codpiece, 11 pages: Ok
Cut codpiece: Ok
Glued top of codpiece and support strut: Ok
Realised that it was, in fact, about seven or so centimeters too small from left to right: Bollocks
Realised I only have 9 pages of cardstock left and the upsized codpiece will take 21: Bollocks
Realised I most likely won't be able to get more until the weekend: Bollocks
Realised I spent about 4 hours on the Dragonball Wiki, when I should have been pepping: Bollocks

I'm not very good at this, guise Q~Q

I've been very lazy lately, what with getting back into Halo: Reach and the new Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn trailer being released, but I did do...well, not much, but a little...

WP_000413.jpg

The codpiece. It pretty much fits fine. I think I'll cut down just one side so it flexes a little, and then use velcro or SOMETHING to hold it in place once it's up. I'm not entirely sure.

WP_000415.jpg

WP_000416.jpg

The backpack. This is just as annoying and fiddly as I thought it would be. It's not much fun, but it will look cool when it's done. Thoughts on strengthening, apart from usualy resin-ing the outside?

You could either cut the pack in half to get the inside, or use Rondo(resin and bondo mixed) and slush it around. It would be better to do that in parts, say, the exhaust vents separate from the main pack, but it would be possible to do it without removing the vents. It would also need to be done in layers until strong enough for your needs, as a solid block of bondo on your back would not be very light-weight...

You could either cut the pack in half to get the inside, or use Rondo(resin and bondo mixed) and slush it around. It would be better to do that in parts, say, the exhaust vents separate from the main pack, but it would be possible to do it without removing the vents. It would also need to be done in layers until strong enough for your needs, as a solid block of bondo on your back would not be very light-weight...

Thanks for the ideas. I reckon I'll cut in half and glass the inside...or...I REALLY don't know. Rondo might work, although my first experience with it didn't really work that well. Thanks though. It's given me a bit to think about.

I created a space marine's helmet once, but i find really difficult to see throug the helmet! the eyes holes are too disant from each other. have u the same problem?

I created a space marine's helmet once, but i find really difficult to see throug the helmet! the eyes holes are too disant from each other. have u the same problem?

Nah, mine have been really sweet so far. With a bit of padding my helmet will sit perfectly. Do you remember what type of helmet it was, like who the modeller and unfolder was?

Guys, my dad managed to come across some fibreglass cloth. It's different from the normal fibreglass matting in that instead of fibres going everywhere, they're woven and interlaced, making it much cleaner, but apparently less strong.

Any of you guys used this before, and experiences?

Guys, my dad managed to come across some fibreglass cloth. It's different from the normal fibreglass matting in that instead of fibres going everywhere, they're woven and interlaced, making it much cleaner, but apparently less strong.

Any of you guys used this before, and experiences?

You are talking about cloth (woven) vs mat (disorganized sheet of fibers). These serve different purposes. The cloth is perfect for flat areas and gentle curves as well as where one need the fiberglass job to be smooth on the back side using a minimum amount of resin to keep things light. It WILL NOT go around corners happily without lifting as it cures. The mat is the best all rounder. It will always do the job--especially corners and complex shapes, but it is messy, takes a lot of work to get the air bubbles out, uses more resin (not necessarily a lot more if you take your time). If you have to glass the outside of a piece, sometimes a mix is your answer--sheets of cloth for the flats and strips of mat overlapping the cloth to make the edges and corners.

As for the back pack. Resin as you go and pep onto the pieces you've already resined. You'll have to reshape any warpage with a hairdryer before resining the inside or going on to add the next piece of pep. If the situation permits, you may be able to fiberglass the inside as you go. It's a more tedious build, but you'll make up the time on the back side in reduced finishing work.

Redshirt

I feel bad, guise. I've been lazy as hell and haven't done any work. My sincerest apologies, especially since I said I'd keep this one up to date.

Well, after a month-long hiatus, I've decided to forge on and aim for the now-ridiculously close deadline of November.

We now have...

WP_000426.jpg

Both thigh pieces. Turns out that fibreglass actually hurts like hell when it stabs you. #themoreyouknow

WP_000427.jpg

I also started body filler-ing the helmet. This...will not be fun. At all.

WP_000428.jpg

All three pieces that are currently under construction.

WP_000429.jpg

WP_000430.jpg

The shin guard completely painted and finished, which brings the total of completely finished pieces up to 3. So pumped.

WP_000431.jpg

WP_000432.jpg

After having multiple brainwaves, I decided to see how a wire brush would work for a 'scratched' look. Satisfied with that, I wondered how a deep score from a knife would look. Satisfied again.

WP_000433.jpg

WP_000434.jpg

WP_000435.jpg

First round of sanding, just to get the general shape. There is still a LOT left to do...

Hey guys, if literally ANYONE is still following this build. Most likely not - I'm lazy as hell, with sporadic updates.

Anyway, speaking of updates...

WP_000436.jpg

WP_000437.jpg

Quick test-fit of the thigh guard. Awwwwwwww yeaaaaaaaah.

WP_000439.jpg

WP_000440.jpg

Semi-test fit of everything fibreglassed so far. I look ridiculous, but I'm still happy with everything.

WP_000441.jpg

WP_000442.jpg

WP_000443.jpg

WP_000444.jpg

360 degree view of the helmet, complete with markings of what I still need to do. Fair bit to go, but it's coming up nicely.

WP_000445.jpg

WP_000446.jpg

Front and back of one thigh. As you can see, still tons to do, body-fillering wise

Inspiring work mate. It's a long and tedious road, but when you work so hard for a goal, it makes it so much more worth it when it's done!

The amount of bondo to make all of that smooth how much have you spent already, and I like the way you mark all the imperfections and dents that need to be filled or smoothed that's the way I do it aswell. Not many people do that but that is how we make it perfect
Nice work keep it up :)

Inspiring work mate. It's a long and tedious road, but when you work so hard for a goal, it makes it so much more worth it when it's done!
Awww, thanks! It would be a lot better if I wasn't so slack!

The amount of bondo to make all of that smooth how much have you spent already
I have no idea how much I've spent. Not TOO much, surprisingly. I have no job or constant income, yet I never seem to be out of supplies.

...that is how we make it perfect
I'm WAY too slack to aim for perfection. Close enough is good enough for me - especially since it's meant to be dinted and gunshot-riddled wargear.

Guise, I'm totally still doing this! How long's the 405th been back up? I checked it daily for like two weeks and it was always down?

Anyway, more stuff!

WP_000447.jpg

WP_000448.jpg

WP_000449.jpg

WP_000450.jpg

Helmet with body filler, spray putty and primer, respectively.

WP_000451.jpg

WP_000454.jpg

Which, after painting, looks totally awesome!

WP_000456.jpg

Front-on view, sans me.

WP_000459.jpg

Thigh piece, primer'd and ready.

WP_000460.jpg

This chest piece is still annoying me, but it's gotten a lot better. I've learnt how to get in and out of it by myself, and now that it's glassed, it's a hell of a lot stronger.

WP_000463.jpg

Thigh guard after painting!

WP_000465.jpg

WP_000466.jpg

Knees and codpiece that I finally got around to glassing.

WP_000468.jpg

WP_000470.jpg

And after putting in some flyscreen-style mesh, the helmet is amazing. Only hoses left to go!

This is coming together nicely man. Keep up the good work! I'll be following your progress.

This is coming together nicely man. Keep up the good work! I'll be following your progress.

Thanks dude! The main problem I have is my own laziness and lack of motivation. It's usually a choice of 'change clothes, head downstairs, set up everything, and work on armour' or 'sit in bed on the laptop'. I'm just incredibly slack, and mid-November is now looking closer by the day. Being on holidays from TAFE will almost certainly help though - I've got two weeks of flat-out work, if I can manage it.

Thanks dude! The main problem I have is my own laziness and lack of motivation. It's usually a choice of 'change clothes, head downstairs, set up everything, and work on armour' or 'sit in bed on the laptop'. I'm just incredibly slack, and mid-November is now looking closer by the day. Being on holidays from TAFE will almost certainly help though - I've got two weeks of flat-out work, if I can manage it.

Ha :) i can relate to that man. But sometimes it's just like it is. You get a certain degree of demotivation. What helps me most is checking out other peoples' builds and get some motivation from that. Or you can let your project rest for a while and restart some time after with more energy. Simply don't look at it at all. When you get back to itthough it will be awesome.

Ha :) i can relate to that man. But sometimes it's just like it is. You get a certain degree of demotivation. What helps me most is checking out other peoples' builds and get some motivation from that. Or you can let your project rest for a while and restart some time after with more energy. Simply don't look at it at all. When you get back to itthough it will be awesome.

I STARTED THIS LIKE TWO YEARS AGO, MAN! THAT'S A LONG TIME OF NOT DOING THINGS!

Luckily, I'll be taking a break from this soon and starting a second project. My mate's 18th birthday is coming up soon, and he's a massive Halo fan. His name's Samuel, so the plan was to make one of the original Mk. V helmets, actually put a heap of time and effort into it to make it look nice, get a gold visor and crack it with a slingshot or something and give it battle-scarred plasma damage, then mount it and have a metal plaque thing below it saying something like "In memory of Samuel-068" (or whatever Samuel's actual number was). It'll be a nice break from Space Marine stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back