Legality of selling props or anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this website
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/developer/rules.htm
regarding reproduction of any game content (which they clearly define)
it's a license that allows production of game based work,art,ect. so long as it
A) isn't tampered game files ect. (some pep files were modifications of the game files) :oops:
:cool: Isn't for Commercial use (for personal use not selling) :oops:
and if displayed somewhere (such as 405th) to be labeled with this
"[The title of your Item] was created under Microsoft’s “Game Content Usage Rules” using assets from GAMENAME, © Microsoft Corporation"
In other words, we can do what ever we want under this limeted license, so long as we don't sell any of it (I know some of us do)

Here is strait from the page

"What can I do?

Here’s the magic words from our lawyers: so long as you respect these rules, Microsoft grants you a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use and display Game Content and to create derivative works based upon Game Content, strictly for noncommercial and personal use. We can revoke this limited use license at any time and for any reason.

If you share your Items with your friends or post them on your web site, then we’d also like you to include the following notice about the Game Content. You can put it in a README file, or on the web page from where it’s downloaded, or anywhere else that makes sense so long as anyone who sees your Item will also find this notice.

[The title of your Item] was created under Microsoft’s “Game Content Usage Rules” using assets from GAMENAME, © Microsoft Corporation.

You can also put a link to this page so people know what the Game Content Usage Rules are.

So what does that mean?

We're giving you some very broad rights to create and redistribute content. You don’t have to post the content on your own site – you can link to a third-party site containing your Items if you’d prefer to store them there.

And by the way, these Rules only cover games published by Microsoft Game Studios and where Microsoft owns the copyright. We can’t give you permission to use games from other publishers or games where Microsoft doesn’t own the IP. Sorry, but you’ll have to contact them for that. Where you see a link to this text on a game’s community website, then you’re good to go. As you can see, this will give you access to some of the most popular titles on the PC and Xbox 360, including:

Age of Empires (all versions)
Flight Simulator (all versions)*
Forza Motorsport (all versions)*
Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, and Halo 3
Kameo
Perfect Dark Zero
Project Gotham Racing (all versions)*
Rise of Nations (all versions)
Shadowrun
Viva Piñata
* Use of individual vehicles may require permission from their manufacturer.

For other Microsoft Game Studios games, you’ll want to look on the community website to see if there’s a link to these Rules. If there is, you’re good to go."

So with that said, let's be careful, i am certain Microsoft and Bungie are very aware of the 405th, and aren't to worried about small scale production and trade,
but the article says you can't sell your product,

'You can’t sell or otherwise earn anything from your Items. We will let you have advertising on the page with the Item on it, but that’s it. That means you can’t sell your Item, post it on a site that requires subscription or other fees, solicit donations for your Item of any kind (even by PayPal), use it to enter a contest or sweepstakes, or post it on a page you use to sell other items (even if those other items have nothing to do with Game Content or Microsoft). This doesn’t restrict you from using your Item for film festivals – that’s not our intention, even if you get a prize for winning. But where someone is trying to promote their commercial venture (even just a commercial website) with a “machinima contest”, they need our permission to do this. If they’ve got our permission you’ll know…"

So Please be very careful everyone.
Someone on here talked about Bungie sent` him an e-mail backing him up if he was selling non-profit armor, and if he did make money it had to go to the armor making. This could be very true, but the only problem is that Bungie and MS are on a shared license for the game, so even if Bungie did back him up, it's still against MS's content rule and Bungie would back out of that in a heart beat, because i imagine they have to agree to the content rules as well.
But i am not 100% positive if thats the case because Bungie loves their fans. But anyhow, the point of all this is, BE CAREFUL IF YOU ARE GONNA SELL YOUR ARMOR.
If you are gonna sell it, don't advertise that, it's against the rules, just go through PM's like most people suggest.
This doesn't mean large scale selling of your armor is impossible, you just have to get permission somehow from Bungie and Microsoft, i personally don't know how to go about that am am very interested in finding out how. Because i imagine Night Mare Armor Studios has permission, other wise they would have been sued a long time ago, which is a good thing cuz Adam wouldn't have a computer to manage 405th with :D
So the Jist of this is Be Extremely Careful if you plan to sell, cuz it could cost you everything if it got to that point. The article says you might just get warned to stop production of your "item" or (as they throw in on the site) "or who may have other comments" That is an indirect "we'll sue you maybe" statement. So with that said, happy armor making and be careful

-Justin

True as that may be,
You haven't been struck by lightning....Yet.
same concept,
it's possible, but i do agree so far we are okay, but doesn't mean we shouldn't be cautious.

-Justin

This is old news guys and all the discussion that pertains to it has been gone over thoroughly HERE

Now I know this crowd reads the stickies. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back