Lets make sound FX module for our replica guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorens

Jr Member
It is very unfortunate that replicantfx is closed. While searching for an alternative, I found this site that carries machine gun fx modules. http://www.ramrcandramtrack.com/index.html. The modules are small and powered by 9-18v. It is only $40. However, I am not satisfied with the quality of the sound. They do custom orders and you must provide them a recorded sound. I am thinking of buying the modules and overdrive them with a pocket size amplifiers for loudness and quality. What do you guys think? Which amplifier is better?
n:ANd9GcRHgDp7z8zU6rIzy9nj2y_166SFBAeGQfX0wv0UDaYLicqwo_k&t=1&usg=__wAPF9g93XfYx3CAPIrZD2UwIumc=.jpg
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062620
af3a_pocket_size_50_watt_amp.jpg
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/portable-audio-video/af3a/

As for the gun sound. I have something that is very high quality like the ones you hear from Bad Company 2 or Modern Warfare. However it's only a 4 second burst with echo at the end. Can anyone do me a favor? Can someone edit the sound and turn it into at least 30 second burst?

I'm not sure of your exact motivations, but I'd say a four second burst is probably preferable to a 30 second burst. In my head, a SFX module in a replica gun would produce a sound each time you pull the "trigger" to replicate the sound of whatever type of burst your gun would have. In this case, an SMG would have a single sound repeated until you lift off the trigger, a battle rifle would have a 3 round burst or about 1.5 seconds.

Production of the sounds themselves would probably best be handled by doing a line-out from your TV or AV Receiver to your computer and recording yourself firing a single burst from each gun you intend to emulate. Perhaps a few different recordings of each burst to ensure fidelity of the sound.

But, you almost certainly do not want 30 seconds of gun fire each time you pull the trigger.

On the topic of the module and amp themselves, given the limited space inside of a replica gun, you'd probably want to buy the parts and custom solder them together to make the most out of the space you have. That way you can also custom design the speaker setup and positioning of the speakers within the replica. I know Radio Shack used to sell the parts to custom yourself an amp and, if the no longer carry the parts, I know you can get them from Allied Electronics and various other places around the net.

I was trying to turn it into automatic but I guess you need a 1 second fire and program it to automatic when the trigger is pushed. What I'm trying to say is let the manufacturer program a high quality sound and I will hook up the amps to the sound modules to make it loud.

For an automatic, I'd suggest wiring in an autofire switch and circuit, like on an aftermarket 360 controller that has "turbo". That way, you could switch between auto and semi-auto fire.

I see what you're saying about letting the manufacturer program it, my suggestions were for a more game accurate sound (getting the exact gun fire sound you want, instead of a stock sound). But, yeah, I'd suggest a shorter sound with a repeater circuit tied to the trigger. I'd think that would work best for demonstrations, rather than clicking it once and then having to wait out the full thirty seconds, since thirty seconds of gunfire would probably get annoying after the fourth or fifth press.

How about the idea of hooking the amps? I have modern warfare 2 gun sounds. They are 1 second fire. However they are 706kbps at 44khz. They are super quality. I am wondering if these modules can handle the sound quality I desire. I will ask the manufacturer but I have to do some research first. Is there anyone here who knows about audios and electronics.

As far as quality goes, regardless of what the module actually outputs, you want the highest quality sound file possible. If you have a 700kbps file and the module can only output 320, it will downscale the file to 320kbps. On the other hand, if it can do 320 and you start with a 192kbps, you're going to get a lot of artifacting in the sound. Your best bet, though, is to contact the manufacturer and find out what they recommend and convert the file to that using the best program you can get your hands on, rather than letting the machine do it.

Your main issue with the amps are the speakers. Pretty much any amp can sufficiently amplify your sound to loud levels without causing too much distortion, so long as you have quality speakers. Find the speakers you want to use before you hunt down an amp. After you have the stats on your speakers (like RMS wattage, etc) you can find an amp tailored to meet those specifications. This will limit the amount of distortion you experience when the sound plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back