life size chief version of MK VII Armor for A-KON & Anime Expo 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so ive been doing tons of research and here's my base plan if you have tips or advice let me hear them

there will be tons of phases and parts to this project the more I think the more I keep adding

PHASE 1 BODYSUIT
this will be a realistic bodysuit as seen on Spartans as there getting armored up in season 1 episode 1 of Spartan ops I will be including a system of medical hosing which will supply cool water to my vital body areas for cooling purposes this will use several techniques casting sewing and some ressining

part 1 I will be doing a full body trace onto several large pieces of paper with several copies of each body section
from there I will start making the lay out for the bodysuit so I can properly size each piece

part 2 from there I will be making a duct tape body mold to again help size pieces

? I am still unsure as to what material I want to use some options are
1 leather
2 pleather
3 vinyl
4 faux leather
5 if you have any ideas feel free to let me know im looking for something that I wont over heat in

part 3 I will be getting medical grade hosing and creating a cooling system to go over my body and in the bodysuit the tanks and pumps will be stored in the thrusters of my mk-7 armor
sub notes will need to make a way to empty tanks and add cool water with out messing with the integrity of the armor

part 4 this will be the prep of the body suit crafting, carving foam cutting materials and casting of the parts

part 5 will be assembly this will be a one piece suit with a hidden zipper under the details on the back piece

Part 6 will be marking or staining the finished suit to try to mimic the design of master chiefs bodysuit

the following images are the mentioned bodysuit

imgres

imgres

imgres

phase 2 ARMOR

I plan to make a actual 7' 2" set of mark vii armor chief is noted as being 6' 10" out of armor and 7' 2" in armor
I'm 6'6 so with the 2 inch addition of padding to helmet and boots I plan on making a 4 inch lift in boot kinda like a platform shoe
the main point on the armor is details and exact likeness I'm constantly watching videos and playing campaign to find new details I want to make this an exact replica I will be doing the o.d paint scheme that chief uses
I plan to have working led light in the helmet
I intend to make a cortana chip like the one from the halo 5 trailors which I hope I will be able to tear apart a laptop and use the network port to be able to put the chip in and out of the helmet like a card reader
I will be placing magnets inside the armor in key locations to be able to attach weapons after I make them
in the thrusters I will place water tanks and quiet pc cooling pumps to hook up to the medical tubing inside the body suit to help with cooling I will also probably place batteries for the led lights and im thinking about another small tank for drinking not so sure about this the weight is a factor in doing this

part 1 collect pepakura files DONE
all files are from the 405th database
list of files to come

part 2 sizing and printing IN THE PROCESS REQUIRES THE MEASURMENTS OF THE BODYSUIT

part 3 cutting and gluing {when I first made armor I cut it out of foam I am a noob to pepakura and the following steps any advice or tips welcome}

part 4 resining and rasping hard lines

part 5 bondo red, sanding, filing

part 6 bondo blue sanding filing

part 7 rubbing compound and light sanding filing

part 8 primer

part 9 figuring out attachment methods

part 10 paint and finished

imgres

PHASE 3

so I plan to add weapons to this set if I have time my main focus is the body suit and armor

if I add weapons it will be a magnum a assault rifle maybe a grenade or 2 the details for this phase are too come

so my budget is up to 2000$ if I need can do more possibly
time frame about a year plan on 3-4 hours a day breaks as needed

Materials some are still undecided ideas welcome but
heavy weight card stock , resin, bondo 2 colors, a filler putty, files, a raspy, file brush, razor blade, low med grit sand papers, a soft foam to use with sand paper, a 8 inch palm sander, titanium needle, sewing machine, heavy thread,blue foam, hot glue gun, super glue, eye protection, a haz mat breather, a face mask , nitrile gloves, work gloves, large space, material for under armor, if you think I'll need any other supplies please add them

this is my starting point I'm thinking I'll either post pics and videos daily or maybe do a live stream as I build so I can hear ideas as I go or something like that I do know and plan to probably mess up or not like something and have to redo an entire piece so im prepared and ready for that again any pointers or good starting points or general ideas you have for this build please throw them below I'm ready to get this going and hope to have a awesome mark 7 set by this time next year also again thanks to the 405th for accepting me and thanks to all who have and will give advice

I plan to make this very detailed and try to show all the steps and process along the way

This...sounds awesome! I think a 7'2'' spartan sounds BA. One suggestion I have is when making the undersuit try and make the muscles look proportionate to a 7'2'' super soldier. without the armor you should look like ssj2 trunks from dragon ball z ('roids fo' days.) I look froward to seeing this build! BTW the closer your feet are to the top of the show makes it easier designing the shin and such. I myself plan on going to anime boston so maybe we can make a habit of spartans crashing anime cons XD. GL!

Lol thanks for the tips I'll have to look at some ssj2 trunks pics but i already planned to add some mass to my musclesand length to my fingers feet and other areas to make it look more proportioned the only part I'm worried about on the lift is if it shows thru on the back of my boot that my ankle is bent and not straight

making progress

So im half done with the duct tape body mold it's alil tricky in places so I have to wait for help on areas I can't get alone I'm doing from my feet all the way up to my neck in different sections when I can post pics I will

? I am still unsure as to what material I want to use some options are
1 leather
2 pleather
3 vinyl
4 faux leather
5 if you have any ideas feel free to let me know im looking for something that I wont over heat in

part 5 will be assembly this will be a one piece suit with a hidden zipper under the details on the back piece

Part 6 will be marking or staining the finished suit to try to mimic the design of master chiefs bodysuit

I will be placing magnets inside the armor in key locations to be able to attach weapons after I make them

So for materials for the undersuit, I'm actually making one right now too. All of the materials that you listed, you will not want to use they trap heat like nothing else. When considering a material for the undersuit it is best to have a material that is nice stretchy and breathable (think under armour, lycra, my material is actually a nylon-polyester mix). Also leather/vinylish materials are stiff and don't stretch very easily, this makes movement a pain in the neck. Also marking or staining the materials you listed might make for some odd looking results. As for the attaching weapons with magnets, I've seen lots of people mention this (I was thinking about it for my build too), but after asking around I found out that magnets are kind off risky. Your weapon can be bumped off, if they are strong enough pulling your weapon off can mess up your paint job, etc.

So yeah those are my words of advice to ya, it's awesome that you have this planned out so far. Lots of people are just like "I'm going to build a suit" and they never plan or research and it never gets finished:(. So with that in mind, it looks like your off to a great start. Best of luck on your build man.

Yeah I've been thinking I might so with a different material some one told me spandex was a good idea I'm planning to go to a fabric store here soon and look for a fabric to use I've seen a fabric online can't post pics right now but it's a Grey material with hexagons I think but the guys cutting and sticking it together it would be nice if I could find something like that but on that note I got a problem im having a hard time figuring out how to seamlessly attach the cast parts so idea one and alil info plan to cast with rubber and resin rubber for my spine and other points I need to flex around my elbows knees and resin for the inner thighs and shoulders and chest where the darker hard parts are I'm thinking when I cast I add a 1/4 inch lip and pop small holes and either build a whole under suit out of a black stretch material and attach the molds then place foam and sew on the hex material to the black under suit or set the molded pieces and cut the black material and use it to kinda like patch the molded pieces together to form the first layer of the suit if that makes sense then add foam and the hex material for the rest

p.s sorry about Grammer and such guys I'm typing this on my note 3 so I can only see 2 and a half lines and don't wanna pop back and forth to add periods or quotes or such will edit when I get my laptop screen fixed sry

Just thought about this but I may need alil firmer material so the cast pieces don't stretch the material when I add the casts

Also for my casting should I get a vacuum or a pressure chamber

So I just spent 3 hours making a duct tape mold that cover both feet and legs all the way up to my waist I think it came out alright ill start stuffing and foaming after I mount the mold on a stand tomorrow that way I can start making pieces and fitting them to the mold

also ive thought about running strips kinda up and down inside the suit and having a small loop pop thru to fasten the armor pieces to the loop I figured it would hide the attachments better and hold the armor in place better wish I could do pics to show my finished stuff and drawings

How is the progress going? I just found this and I'm curious to see how it's turning out.

Markolivo76, I feel really out of my depth saying this as I am a new recruit as well, but posting on a thread where there hasn't been activity for this long is necroposting, and were not supposed to. You can try and PM the owner of the thread if you want progress updates or questions. Again I know i'm a new recruit but just letting you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back