Looking to see if anyone can do a 3D print for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODST Emory

Hey, I was curious. Does anyone have the ability to do a raw, hollow print of an M45 Shotgun from Halo Reach? I don't have a 3D Printer, and don't feel like spending 500 Dollars on an already made one.

Just curious!

ODST Emory what do you mean by hollow?
So, some 3d printed rifles have a much thicker, solid lining, and some have quite a bit of interconnecting rods on the inside to hold it together. 3D prints aren't my forte, but I'm assuming it would be easier to connect the outer pieces without internal parts. It's just a prop that won't see any abuse, really, so I don't need it terribly strong.

So, some 3d printed rifles have a much thicker, solid lining, and some have quite a bit of interconnecting rods on the inside to hold it together. 3D prints aren't my forte, but I'm assuming it would be easier to connect the outer pieces without internal parts. It's just a prop that won't see any abuse, really, so I don't need it terribly strong.
This might be my biased opinon but it's much easier to create hollows and channels for support rods that keep a printed prop flex resistant and easier to assemble than to have something completely hollow. For example, this is the internal support hardware of my Stanchion highlighted in blue that helps keep it easy to assemble and disassemble for transport.
1623103709221.png

How big would you ideally want it to be? Depending on size I may be able to do it in 2 or 3 pieces. Cura does have a Vase mode that would print the object hollow however due to some over hangs on print orientation it may have to have some degree of infill. Not saying 100% but at least 10% or so to give area for details to print on. I threw it in my slicer just to get an idea on time and with out editing out any unneeded supports or messing with orientation it would take about 3.5 days and about 750 grams of filament to create at about 30 inches total length.
M45 Shotgun Print Time.jpg

Last edited:
This might be my biased opinon but it's much easier to create hollows and channels for support rods that keep a printed prop flex resistant and easier to assemble than to have something completely hollow. For example, this is the internal support hardware of my Stanchion highlighted in blue that helps keep it easy to assemble and disassemble for transport.
View attachment 306707
Huh, there's something I didn't know. Thanks for the info!

How big would you ideally want it to be? Depending on size I may be able to do it in 2 or 3 pieces. Cura does have a Vase mode that would print the object hollow however due to some over hangs on print orientation it may have to have some degree of infill. Not saying 100% but at least 10% or so to give area for details to print on. I threw it in my slicer just to get an idea on time and with out editing out any unneeded supports or messing with orientation it would take about 3.5 days and about 750 grams of filament to create at about 30 inches total length.View attachment 306711
Okay. 30 inches seems fine, for that at least. If you were to print it, how much would you charge for something like that?

Looking at the print time and filament usage 80 USD even plush shipping to print and clean. I have blocked out as much support as I can knowing my printer. I have messed with it for about 3 hours to get the most optimal orientation and blocks in place. If I cut it up into more pieces it could probably get the filament usage down. This will just be a raw print no paint and primer right?

Shotgun.jpg

No paint or primer. At the moment, I don't have 80 bucks laying around, but if you are willing, I'll pay it as soon as I can. I like the two piece design. Out of curiosity, how much would you charge for a primer job?

No paint or primer. At the moment, I don't have 80 bucks laying around, but if you are willing, I'll pay it as soon as I can. I like the two piece design. Out of curiosity, how much would you charge for a primer job?
I'm not sure. It would depend on the quality of how smooth you are looking for. I haven't had a chance to smooth and prime any pieces yet so not sure how long that will take. If I can get it done in an hour or 2 probably like 20 more bucks. I'm going to smooth and primer some pieces this weekend and depending on how much of a pain that is it may change haha. My print as of late have bee coming out super sharp since the extruder replacement.
20210607_174834.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back