Losing faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arowin

Jr Member
Well, it's happened again... Another red ring of death on my 360. This time it's number 5.

How can I possibly get 5 console break downs over two different consoles... It's in-exhusable...

*sigh*

Arowin said:
Well, it's happened again... Another red ring of death on my 360. This time it's number 5.

How can I possibly get 5 console break downs over two different consoles... It's in-exhusable...

*sigh*

5....thats impressive! Im on my third. You should contact the consumer rights institute in wellington, explain whats happened, you should easily be able to wrangle yourself an elite pack and a bunch of free stuff for all the hassle. good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I know it gets annoying to have your Xbox stop breathing on you... Mine has had the red rings for about 3 weeks now... I still play on it though... Just sometimes gets annoying I have to tuck it into bed to play... Or better yet, what I like to call, cooking some comfort food. Bake your Xbox, and then waiting for it too cool off before you can play it... Feel like I am cooking a meal every time I want to play... Even though it seems to freeze and get the red rings when playing Lost Oddessey... Now that I think of it, it started when I started playing that game... Whatever...

shadow8136 said:
umm... why does my Xbox have 2 red rings?!?!?!

*Edit* like theres 4 sides and only 2 lights up

If its the 2 on the left side that means its overheated..Get some cool ventlation dude or your console is fried.

Also I have recently had a RRoD..Still waiting on the box to send it in. If it craps out then I have to chuck it and save up for a new one as my mom ain't dishing out another 350$ for a console..

But seriously, if you wanna avoid having the RRoD in the future, the Xbox 360 Premium with HMDI is one of the newer ones guarenteed to have a Falcon chipset that runs at 175 watts instead of 203. Less energy needed so less heat is generated. Plus they have added heat sinks.

GruntOfAction said:
If its the 2 on the left side that means its overheated..Get some cool ventlation dude or your console is fried.

Also I have recently had a RRoD..Still waiting on the box to send it in. If it craps out then I have to chuck it and save up for a new one as my mom ain't dishing out another 350$ for a console..

But seriously, if you wanna avoid having the RRoD in the future, the Xbox 360 Premium with HMDI is one of the newer ones guarenteed to have a Falcon chipset that runs at 175 watts instead of 203. Less energy needed so less heat is generated. Plus they have added heat sinks.

Heres whats weird. I have one of the FIRST wave 360's and I've NEVER had a problem...

Weird..no?

-Joe

NoMercyJoe said:
Heres whats weird. I have one of the FIRST wave 360's and I've NEVER had a problem...

Weird..no?

-Joe

Whens the manufacturing date on yours? Mines August 12th 2006..

I hear the ones after about July 27th 2007 are the ones with the falcons in them..if you look on the sticker on the back it should be lot number 0734 or higher and thats a guarenteed falcon if its 175 watts.

shadow8136 said:
umm... why does my Xbox have 2 red rings?!?!?!

*Edit* like theres 4 sides and only 2 lights up

Overheating, DON'T do the towel trick, as others may suggest.

Scott said:
Yeah, I know it gets annoying to have your Xbox stop breathing on you... Mine has had the red rings for about 3 weeks now... I still play on it though... Just sometimes gets annoying I have to tuck it into bed to play... Or better yet, what I like to call, cooking some comfort food. Bake your Xbox, and then waiting for it too cool off before you can play it... Feel like I am cooking a meal every time I want to play... Even though it seems to freeze and get the red rings when playing Lost Oddessey... Now that I think of it, it started when I started playing that game... Whatever...

Stop baking it, you're going to botch the GPU's BGA points even worse. Overheating it doesn't get it hot enough to reflow the solder anyhow, just flexes the board enough to get it past POST.

GruntOfAction said:

QFT.

NoMercyJoe said:

Weird..no?

-Joe

Weird, but not uncommon. I know several people who do. Keep it cool, it'll last forever.

Arowin said:

*sigh*
So sorry, I know that sucks, I got my 9th rrod on Saturday night, and exchanged my system Sunday. This is my 5th system since launch!

Scott said:
Even though it seems to freeze and get the red rings when playing Lost Oddessey... Now that I think of it, it started when I started playing that game...

That game is intense. It's what 'killed' my Xbox. I'm going right back to disc 2 as soon as the 360 comes back from the repair center :p

NoMercyJoe said:

Weird..no?

-Joe

Same here. Never had a problem with mine, and its definately from the first wave release *knocks on wood* :whistle:

GruntOfAction said:
Whens the manufacturing date on yours? Mines August 12th 2006..

I hear the ones after about July 27th 2007 are the ones with the falcons in them..if you look on the sticker on the back it should be lot number 0734 or higher and thats a guarenteed falcon if its 175 watts.

The manufacturing date on mine is May 19, 2006. So, far earlier than the "safe" period you mentioned. I hope I won't encounter any problems with it in future o_O

Gokussj5okazu said:
[...]

Weird, but not uncommon. I know several people who do. Keep it cool, it'll last forever.

I think the key is not overplay the system. I've run through most of HALO 3 on it in a day, but then I'll let it rest for a day or so. If you don't clock too many hours on it at any given time, it shouldn't be a problem. Seems to have worked for me so far...

Not to sound like a inconsiderate ass... But about the solder... I know. Wraping towels only makes the metal inside expand enough so that they are touching again. Its a temporary fix... Thats why its called a TEMPORARY fix. Its in NO way a fix to be done over, and over again with no intention to never replace your Xbox again. I just cut down on game time significantly, and in the mean time,I plan to buy a new one anyways... And if the Xbox ever got hot enough to reflow the solder inside... Boy... Would we have some SERIOUS issues. But, I guess it was bound to happen... I have the same Xbox 360 from the day they came out and averaged between 3 to 5 hours a day, and sometimes over 12 hours stright on weekends in LAN parties, and Live games. Still the original... And the whole time I laugh at my friends about them sending in their Elite's, and newer ones... Now... Alas... They laugh. Hell, not sure what happened, since it never built up ANY heat, and was always cold to the touch... Not even warm. Always had its own exhaust fan, and window, and intercooler. Always on a flat surface, and no dust. Always wiped down. And not even a prestine fingerprint on the chrome, or a disc. Why... Why me!? Nah... Oh well.

Doesnt matter what you buy now, even the new ones overheat or RROD for some other reason, they have less of a chance, but still, many are being reported everyday.

AoBfrost said:
Doesnt matter what you buy now, even the new ones overheat or RROD for some other reason, they have less of a chance, but still, many are being reported everyday.

Maybe I should just save up for a playstation then..lol..

Because this is what I find ironic:

Our xbox 360 didn't even last a year in a well ventlated area, and yet our PS2 which has been collecting dust for 3 years, works on start up like it always did. No problems, no errors, works flawlessly..

GruntOfAction said:
Whens the manufacturing date on yours? Mines August 12th 2006...

Mines March 17th 2006 and apart from the occasional disk read error I haven't had any problems, kind of strange to hear how many consoles some people have gone through :unsure: what are you people doing to them? :p:lol:

My first 360's DVD drive was faulty, so I returned it to Wally World (faster and easier than sending it to M$), and I've had the second one for over a year with no problems (other than CoD4 freezes sometimes). It's one of the HDMI pro consoles. I'm going to check if I have a warranty on mine. If I don't, I'm installing a few mods (x-clamp, talismoon fan, etc.) to make sure it doesn't RROD or overheat. If I do have a warranty, then I'll wait til it runs out.

My Xbox has never had a RROD, disk read error, or overheated. It has froze a few times though (several were my fault. To many mines on Sandtrap :p). I usually run it several hours each weekday, and up to 14+ hours each day on the weekend. My luck may run out eventually though.

My brother bought a 360 a couple years ago (within a year of the release date), and it has RROD'd many times. Every time it RROD'd, it was fine after a restart. It RROD's every once in a while, but he hasn't had to send it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back