M620 Reach Concept Gun - Foam Build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

toomtoomX

Hiya, toom here. Now that my brother Zoomer246 has finished his first spartan build, I feel I need to step it up, so I decided to one up his DMR with an MG.
The sole concept art I have is this
SPARTAN_M620_crop.png
and a larger view of it
downloader.php?file=1341009515294.jpg
I am in the process of measuring the images in Photoshop, then converting the measurements to inches based on the premise that the MG is roughly 42 inches in length, then finally translating these converted measurements onto graph paper, from which I will cut, paste, and cut some more on foam. It's 2:54 AM here, so Ima get off and I'll post pics of the GP product in the mornin' :sleep ;)

Love that helmet. But I don't know, even in "Spartan scale" 42" seems a bit long. I mimicked the pose using the Nerf Longstrike, (39") and even that seemed too long proportionately. Have to figure machine guns are designed more for close-mid range and more "hail of bullets" than precision, so they do tend to be shorter than rifles geared more towards marksmanship and mid-long ranges. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say around 36" when scaled down to human proportions (using my own, standing at around 6' tall).

I believe that a pep file exists for that weapon. Some one had posted a request in my thread or the pep request thread in the 3d modeling section. You could use that as reference.

Edit: I found the post but no link... but you can ask lordhood32 for it. Send him a pm see if he will give it to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love that helmet. But I don't know, even in "Spartan scale" 42" seems a bit long. I mimicked the pose using the Nerf Longstrike, (39") and even that seemed too long proportionately. Have to figure machine guns are designed more for close-mid range and more "hail of bullets" than precision, so they do tend to be shorter than rifles geared more towards marksmanship and mid-long ranges. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say around 36" when scaled down to human proportions (using my own, standing at around 6' tall).

Well looking at real world machine guns and their size the Mk 48 Machine Gun which shoots a 7.62x51mm NATO is 39.75 inches long so 42 inches doesn't seem to long for a gun of the future that shoots the same round.
You have to remember that the weapons in halo still have to be proportionate to the marines that use them, spartans make them look smaller than they are. My DMR which I am about done building is 41.5 inches and it feels and looks in scale to me.

A real world fn p90 is 19.3 (with out silencer) inches and that is a bullpup type weapon(weapon used in Stargate ) so a 40 inch gun wouldn't be that much bigger

20140901_001139.jpg
BP-RD Finished! suggestions, questions, rants, spartan laser-beaming / teabagging? please do tell! I am open to all, as this is a concept design, and can be altered. I will start work on the base foam cut out as soon as my brother has foam available.

do you happen to know the creator lordhood32?

I wish i remembered i know its someone from 405th...i want to say halogoddess but i don't remember it was in the folder of other misc things i collected like....Warcraft armor and some odds and ends

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back