Mac users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grunty5

Jr Member
So im stuck with a Mac which is the worst cuz i cant get pepakura or anything and i really wanna make better armor than just cardboard wich ive been doin

so any alternative programs that can read .pep files or something would be quite helpful

Where's the Mac love?

Granted, it sucks that they didn't make it for every platform, but don't lose hope. You could always try Boot Camp or Parallels to get Windows running on your system.

I use a Mac as well, but even if I had a Windows box, I'd still be sculpting mine out of clay.

There is a thread on here which has (just) the helm, but that doesn't solve the rest of the armor.

(Hoping this doesn't turn into a PC/Mac thread...)

i posted somewhere but i forgot lol, that there is an emulator for the mac to use linux (Ubuntu, etc.) and Windows, but dont know the name, please tell me if this is that "Boot Camp" or "Parallels"

I LOVE my iBook but it died not to long ago. I still need to replace it but I'm fine with my powerbook for now. I use Apples because I'm a designer and nothing compares to designing on a Mac. I have a PC for when I program because PCs are WAY better for that, oh, and for gaming.

Well ... I just learned that Mac OS X Leopard comes with Boot Camp pre-installed soo i just need to uprgrade my memory and then im all set!

Grunts Deserve Shields Too said:
So im stuck with a Mac which is the worst cuz i cant get pepakura or anything and i really wanna make better armor than just cardboard wich ive been doin

so any alternative programs that can read .pep files or something would be quite helpful
If you want armor, use windows, I'm tired of exporting pep files to .bmp files for mac users to print.

Sorry to hear your using a mac, and mac doesnt work with pepakura, but there is no other program that works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I wish it wasn't Windows wasn't the end-all solution for pepakura.

But then again, I don't know anyone who'd be willing to port it over just for us armor crafters.

And What Choo Talkin' Bout Evil? Better for programming?

Evil Femle said:
I LOVE my iBook but it died not to long ago. I still need to replace it but I'm fine with my powerbook for now. I use Apples because I'm a designer and nothing compares to designing on a Mac. I have a PC for when I program because PCs are WAY better for that, oh, and for gaming.
Yea, I noticed that way back, I stopepd using macs after 90% of all programs out there wont run on macs and 98% of all games dont come out for mac, if they do, you gotta wait like 4 months after it's release.

AoBfrost said:
Yea, I noticed that way back, I stopepd using macs after 90% of all programs out there wont run on macs and 98% of all games dont come out for mac, if they do, you gotta wait like 4 months after it's release.
It's actually getting a lot better now. Mac gaming is on the rise again. I personally think Blizzard is showing everyone how it's done by releasing both platforms of their games on one disc.

Especially with CIDER, Parallels, Boot Camp, and the new Intel architecture, porting (and simultaneous releases) are becoming SOP.

Evil Femle, what type of powerbook are you running ? I have a PowerBook G4 1.3 12" I love it. Sucks at gaming and whatnot, but I bought this cause it was compact, light, and travels easy. I have a redneck rig for gaming :D

That weird, because I have several code monkey friends who actually prefer their macs for "teh codez".

I suppose it's really a preference thing, and there's no wrong answer there.

Blue Vertex said:

I think that hit the nail on the head - I grew up with my dad's old Mac, and I'm still using my old eMac. My mum's got her work computer, which I've pilfered for Pep and a few games, but I'm still a diehard Mac junkie. My eMac still beats the PC for video and music editing, (in my opinion) which is my main concern.

It all comes down to preference. :)

Blue Vertex said:
That weird, because I have several code monkey friends who actually prefer their macs for "teh codez".

It all depends on what language your programming in. For example Visual Basic is Microsoft's so unless you have boot camp on your mac or Virtual PC or anything related you'd have a hard time using Visual Studio .Net. I suppose you could use Xcode now but I like Visual Studio.

drgon47 said:
Evil Femle, what type of powerbook are you running ? I have a PowerBook G4 1.3 12" I love it. Sucks at gaming and whatnot, but I bought this cause it was compact, light, and travels easy. I have a redneck rig for gaming :D

I have the same Powerbook. The super drive is broke though so that sucks. The iBook was my baby. I had all my design work, photography, web work, illustrations, videos, and more on the HD and now it wont turn on. I need to salvage all my hard work off the hard drive now.

Thats easy. Get a laptop hd to usb/firewire cable and just externally mount it. The previous owner of my laptop changed the region code so many times i cant watch dvd's now. And on the particular drive I have, there are no patches out for the firmware. :(

Evil Femle said:
It all depends on what language your programming in. For example Visual Basic is Microsoft's so unless you have boot camp on your mac or Virtual PC or anything related you'd have a hard time using Visual Studio .Net. I suppose you could use Xcode now but I like Visual Studio.

You could always use RealBasic.

And yeah, I used to work at MacEdge, and anytime someone came in with a broken lappy that they needed the HD from, we cracked* open their case, and hooked up the HD to an external casing. It's still your old files, just...in a swanky external housing.

*Okay, cracked is a harsh word, but you get what I mean.

These machines are a pain to open eh ? I had to replace the entire wireless wiring harness. That was a long night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back