Make a professional paintjob!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnishSpartan

Okay guys im making a small tut on how to paint extremely smooth surfaces... from costume making to anything else...
Note (i will add pictures tomorrow or on sunday..)
Also note: these materials are meant for the preparation of the paintjob... Not for smoothing out your bondo...
you should smooth out bondo with rougher sanding papers.

You will need the following materials: (at this point you need to select, if your helmet will be shiny or matte. Have a detailed or a smooth surface)
(Hammered spray paint will give you a detailed surface as master chiefs armor has).

-Primer, spray.
-Desired color spray paint OR (hammered spray paint... or desired detail)
-Clear coat, Matte or shiny.
Following WET* sanding paper grids.
(wet sanding paper: Look for sanding paper marked waterproof... usually colored black
you can also buy more sanding paper grids (between 240-2000)... it will improve the final work).

To the tutorial: (Note at this point you need to have the final shape of your helme finished).
If you dont know how to use water sanding i made a tutorial: http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7099&hl=

1st, start off by wet sanding the surface with 240grid sandpaper, move to a finer sanding paper until you reach 600.
Take your time with this since a well sanded base has a great effect in the end.

2nd, when you are finished with sanding take your primer... Spray over the surface with 4 thin coats (allow 10 minutes between coats)
If you make a thick coat the spray is going to make it's own detail and you will lose the smooth surface... so just use thin coats, okay.
after you have primed the surface let the last coat be for 30 minutes

3rd, Roughly wet sand the primed surface with 600grit sandpaper.
Now you have your surface ready for the color spray.

4th, You can now apply your desired color spray surface, Again add 3-4 light layers so that the smoothness will stay.

(Note if you are using Hammered spray paint paint 1-semi light coat and 1 light coat, (The more coats the smaller detail...) and then you can spray paint over the hammered paint with the desired color of your choise... Unless you wish to keep the hammered spray color).

5th, Now that you have the desired color, take 1200 grid sandpaper and Wetsand over the color you have... roughly.

6th, You are now ready for a clearcoat! Now use either the matte or your shiny clearcoat that you chose... this is very important that you dont screw up!!!
Spray paint over the surface with the clearcoat, this time 4-6 light layers... 10 minutes between each layer. and be extremely careful that you wont leave fingerprints! or it could ruin everything!!!

After adding all the light clearcoat layers let the clearcoat be for 18-24hours. it takes more time for the clearcoat to dry... and when the drying time is finished it will look lovely!!!

7th, Take your 2000grit (yes 2 thousand!) sandpaper and wet sand the surface! you will have (atleast i hope so!) a perfectly professional paintjob!

I hope you like this tut!

-Fin(n)ish

PS: Even tough you might think that the thousand grit sanpapers wont make a diffrence they actually make a huge difference when wetsanding the surface.

I have noticed however, that this is a bit different that Adam's painting method. Although, I do think it'd be easier to decide which to do with pics =/

EDIT : Wow, I really didn't read the post. Sorry, i'll wait till Sunday! That'll be when i'll hopefully be ready to paint anyway.

Dark Rogue said:
I have noticed however, that this is a bit different that Adam's painting method. Although, I do think it'd be easier to decide which to do with pics =/

EDIT : Wow, I really didn't read the post. Sorry, i'll wait till Sunday! That'll be when i'll hopefully be ready to paint anyway.

You can also add a little bit of other painting tutorials to it... its not that restricting. in Adams tutorial it showed how to add black paint and remove it with some paper... You could do that proccess for this as well...

In this tutorial it shows you how to make a smooth surface even tough you would add detail to it. i will probably add images today... since i dont have any exams today (it was exam week). But i will have to look into that since i'm really busy right now... if not today.. Sunday.

-Fin(n)ish

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I don't see how you're going to convince anyone without pictures.

And I don't see why people make threads and say "pics up later." The thread is worthless until the pics are here, so why not wait?

Way, way overkill. Loose anything over 600 grit and if you take it that fine painting with spray paint will lead to bad results unless you have A LOT of experiance. An airbrush is the proper tool for that kind of job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back