Makeing Malleable Oil Based Clays With A Warming Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoryBoom

Hello 405th!

My name is Cory Dornbusch and this is my first attempt to add something to the community from my past experience making maquette as a hobby. I would like to bring up an alternative method to warming your Oil based clays. I have observed the friction device methods, clay in hot water, and the microwave method with and with out water. All but the microwave method (not so safe) are great methods to get the clay soft. Since I live in an apartments, I need to keep the noise down and keep the place clean. My personal preference is the use of a Warming Box. This is just a Filing box lined with aluminum foil and heated by a clamped light from a hole I punched through on the top. This works wonderfully and kinda gives an artiste vibe to my work area. So if you are interested I have a written and soon a video tutorial on the creation of the warming box. Cheers!

Warning: When warming the oil base clay make sure to test touch it before grabbing it, since it may be to hot to grab. Hopefully with the use of a 60w light bulb and having some air vents in the box the temp will be fine for *your* tastes.

Difficulty: Very Easy
Cost: $25 give or take what is already in the home

Materials:
Bank (Filing) Box ($8) – Found at any office supply store and most general stores office section.
Aluminum foil ($2?) – Found at any general food mart
Clamp portable light 8 ½ in ($9) – Found at Lowes home improvement (not at Home depot… or at lest not for me), also some other hardware stores or online.
60 watt soft white light bulb ($2) – Provides the best heat to safety ratio. Found at any general store will do.
WarmmingBox_04_041609.jpg

Tape ($1-5) – Anything that can hold up to use. I personally use duct tape. Found at any general store, and hardware store.

Construction Instruction:

1) Take the un-built top of the box and trace an outline with the clamp light's diameter.
WarmmingBox_01_041609.jpg

2) Make a half inch smaller hole from the outline so the lap can be placed on top
3) Construct the box and top
4) Line the box with Aluminum foil while tapping down the edges
5) Make the finger holes free and open. This will provide the needed air flow to make the clay at a nice malleable temp.
WarmmingBox_02_041609.jpg

6) Leave a half inch buffer hole from the top Aluminum foil lining of the lids lamp hole so the tape will not be to close to the light bulb.
WarmmingBox_03_041609.jpg

7) Done

Usage: (Assuming this is a new block of clay)
- Place the Oil based clay in the box (ie. Chavant NSP Medium that I use).
- Place the lid on and place an active lamp over the hole.
- After about 30min take the clay out (Test touch it to make sure its not to hot)
- Cut the block into smaller squares if starting with a fresh block
- Keep what you need and place the rest in the box with the active lamp to keep it warm.
- Have fun and Sculpt!

Well I hope this will help any one that needs a great alternative method to get you oil based clay to a workable state.

Peace.

Cory “CoryBoom!” Dornbusch

Thanks for the contribution Cory!

This is how I've always prepped my clay (minus the foil box of course), and I've found it works quite well. Just keep a little under the warming lamp when you're working on a sculpt, and it's always ready!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back