Making armor before the fad wears out

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindtrickonu

Wow this site is amazing!, I never knew that there was a community dedicated to building halo armor!

I do love playing Halo, and I would surely be the envy of all my other Halo playing friends if i were to make my own suit.Doing something like making it from cardboard and duct-tape wouldn't suit me, it'd have to be made from all that molding stuff that you guys do to make it look very authentic, lol in other words, if I'm gonna do it im gonna do it good and right. Here's my problem though: Would I be able to make my own MC suit, having no knowledge of sculpting or building costume type armor, within enough time before this Halo fad wears out? (assuming one day people will get tired of halo...although ina lot of cases thats not possible :D)

thanks!

Well, considering this will be an on going "fad" such as Star Wars (which survived/is surviving for 20+ years), you'll have plenty of time.
Having NO knowledge of sculpting would be a problem.
Clay is not something anyone can just pick up and expect to be good with. Practice making things first. Research so you aren't completely lost when you have clay in your hands. Make sure you research before even buying clay.
Make sure you look around our site to find the right TPYE of clay for sculpting.
There are many helpful resources here, just look around.
And unless I've missed my mark, you'll have plenty of time to make a suit.
You can finish before Halo Wars release.

Mafia_Mike said:
Wow this site is amazing!, I never knew that there was a community dedicated to building halo armor!

I do love playing Halo, and I would surely be the envy of all my other Halo playing friends if i were to make my own suit.Doing something like making it from cardboard and duct-tape wouldn't suit me, it'd have to be made from all that molding stuff that you guys do to make it look very authentic, lol in other words, if I'm gonna do it im gonna do it good and right. Here's my problem though: Would I be able to make my own MC suit, having no knowledge of sculpting or building costume type armor, within enough time before this Halo fad wears out? (assuming one day people will get tired of halo...although ina lot of cases thats not possible :D)

thanks!

Let me tell you I had no idea about building my own.. This site helped alot, now I'm a proud owner of my hand made MC suit and an SB helmet.. Oh and a Adam hand armor LOL haha.. Just spend the time and dedication. Read all the stickies and do searches for already asked questions.. About halo a fad? I don't see that ever being a fad.. It's here to stay..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome to the world of halo armor creation.
I too enjoy halo and would not be satisfied with cardboard and duct tape, or pepakura, so I am also taking the time to go ahead and mold the whole thing myself. If you are interested in seeing the process, go to the molded armor section in the creation section of the forums (you cant make new topics there yet but you can post there). Space did a great job molding:http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5823. If you plan on doing the same process (which is messy but turns out great) check out Adam's non-tutorial video: http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5162.

There are many other great resources on the site and some great members too, so look around, use the search button, and have fun with making your armor. If you need any help, people on the site are usually more than happy to help.

By the way, if you make your armor the same way as Adams, remember that he skips a lot in his video so you will need other sources on how to do it. For example: when slushcasting, he has already done a few layers of plastic on the inside, so he took the mother/shell mold off. These pieces should be left on when slushcasting because the silicone will not hold its shape properly when you pour the plastic in (and always remember: everything you use must be disposable, plastipaste sticks to everything, and the plastic is very hot as it changes from liquid to solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back