marketability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feigned echo

Jr Member
how much of a market is there for casted movie/ game props?

i want to start my own small business doing things like that, but this is a quote from my dad "people aren't going to buy things like that, sorry to say, but they aren't", it seems my parents do this to me every time i come up with an idea out of the ordinary, instantly they're down on it, so i become the same way. i don't want this time to be the same. so again i refer to my original question, how much of a market is there for cast game and movie props? and what would be the best way to go about selling them?

unless you can mass produce an amazing product (not some cheap crap) then props arnt the things to do if u wnt to cash in, Sean for example just barley coveres his costs with his helm. and it takes him upwards of 5 hours a helm... so u better be quck and kick ass for this to work, or else, dont even try.

honestly without proper licensing, you'll be stuck selling stuff on ebay or through PMs on forums. Starting a business selling copyrighted props just really wouldnt pan out so well. alot of the guys on here who make the professional grade props do so as a hobby, not an income. sorry to burst your bubble man.

your market is up to you. I did everyone a huge favor by making this site. easy way for you to market halo props.

There is a huge market for this stuff.... but, how will you find the right people. You might start in your own community.

Doing it as a full time job? Not a good idea, unless you're better than those out there, and can get licenses.

Being better than those out there includes blue realm, and NAS .... I know I'm not there.

Thats the reason why they look down on the idea, with all these patents and copywrites you would be sued. The only way people would buy these if you say...made a helmet as detailed as blue relms and mass produced them and sold them on ebay for 100 dollars buy it now.

i'm not planning this as my main source of income, and i very loosely mean business, more just a hobby, of making props and selling them on ebay.

then do it up man, if you're good enough people will pay good money for good props. an unpainted, untrimmed, unstrapped cheap set of Storm trooper armor can go for $800 a kit on ebay, and the stuff we do is a lot more complex than vacuuforming cheap ABS. I thought you meant like start a prop building business haha.

more power to you

thefreeman said:
then do it up man, if you're good enough people will pay good money for good props. an unpainted, untrimmed, unstrapped cheap set of Storm trooper armor can go for $800 a kit on ebay, and the stuff we do is a lot more complex than vacuuforming cheap ABS. I thought you meant like start a prop building business haha.

more power to you

yeah, trust me, i have no where near the resources required to start a business. i just want to hone my sculpting skills, cast some armor, detail, and sell it.
(and possibly keep some for myself)

Last edited by a moderator:
the easiest way to sell cast armor is to just roughly trim the armor, dont trim it perfect so all they do is attack straps and velcro and some paint, make them do some work, thats how stormtrooper armor is, assembled armor cost 1000+ dollars, but if you buy stormtrooper roughly trimmmed, you can get the kit for 600 dollars, I'd just sell a roughly trimmed set of armor and make the buyer do the work of assembling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back